General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a different impression from the article based on this line:I've never been to Vortex so I don't know what it looks like. But, the article says "near one of the docks." I imagine that to be outside of the cave in calm-ish water. I imagine it to be more akin to the pond scenario that was discussed and less likely to mean that the dogs had detected a scent from hundereds of feet into the tunnel.

Can anyone comment on the location of the docks and the surrounding water?

In one of the TV news video stories on the incident, they showed search teams on the docks with what appeared to be search or cadaver dogs. The search team member was taking his hand and reaching in the water and splashing it up near the dogs nose for him to 'smell' it.

I imagine that one of these type instances could have been where the dogs got a 'hit' on the scent.

I'll try to find the news story that had that in the video and post it. (or someone can if they find it also.)

Can't they get that little chick who squeezed through that tiny hole on one of the previous videos that Cave Diver posted...Man, that was crazy! Not for the faint of heart, nor the claustrophobic.
She's in Australia

and even if she wasn't in Australia right now, why should we ask her to risk her life to continue the search when Edd and others have said it's too dangerous to continue searching deeper?

In one of the TV news video stories on the incident, they showed search teams on the docks with what appeared to be search or cadaver dogs. The search team member was taking his hand and reaching in the water and splashing it up near the dogs nose for him to 'smell' it.

I imagine that one of these type instances could have been where the dogs got a 'hit' on the scent.

I'll try to find the news story that had that in the video and post it. (or someone can if they find it also.)

Here's a link to that news video. You see the dog at about the 1:15 mark.
Holmes Co. Investigators Search for Missing Scuba Diver

Here's a link to that news video. You see the dog at about the 1:15 mark.
Holmes Co. Investigators Search for Missing Scuba Diver
I just watched that video, and what worries me, is that they gave out the families cell phone number asking for help. I am worried if they call this off without a recovery, unqualified divers are going to be trying to play here, and causing more accidents or even fatalities.

I just watched that video, and what worries me, is that they gave out the families cell phone number asking for help. I am worried if they call this off without a recovery, unqualified divers are going to be trying to play here, and causing more accidents or even fatalities.

If this does happen, all it will accomplish it one thing. Edd will be a very busy man at Vortex.

Once any diver, gets to the really low section closer the the gate than to the area the victim is believed to be in, I am pretty sure 99% will turn around there. It is belly to back in backmount for about 250 feet or so and if in back mount you have to kinda dig yourself along in the high flow. This is in the area of about 130ffw. I saw seen a few cave divers decide that was far enough for them. It is one thing to want to help, but most divers who mean well will turn around by there. I wouldn't worry too much on that aspect.

If this does happen, all it will accomplish it one thing. Edd will be a very busy man at Vortex.

:( Could accomplish a 2nd thing: Some numb-nuts save-the-world liberals will try to close cave-diving down.

I can't imagine anybody is small and skilled enough to get in there safely.

I can't imagine anybody is small and skilled enough to get in there safely.

Your pretty damn close :D

All kidding aside, cmufieldhockey8 is right. To get past where people have already gone would take an insane person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom