Canon S95 with 720p video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The S90's video function was not designed properly, it would not autofocus... I hope they fixed that.

$299 for the housing is expensive!

Most P&S cameras do not have auto focus in video mode, neither does the S95.

N

1.5mm skinnier? I'm nearly sure it's impossible but I won't sleep well till someone to tries it to see if it can't be shimmed into an existing case.

I think that's it's not the 1 mm less or more which matter , but it seems that the back right buttons : menu , display s ..are lower on the S95 than on the s 90.

The devil is in the details. Yes, the buttons on the back of the S95 seem to be slightly moved up (not down). See pic below, S90 top, S95 bottom.

Attachments

• Canon S90 S95.jpg
    Canon S90 S95.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 126
The S90 is on bottom, it looks like the S95 are lower, not higher.

There is no chance it will fit, never thought any different even a year ago. My spare S90 should arrive today :). I also ordered a real nice filter adapter and a leather case from one of the Hong Kong shops with a leather strap and flip down rear cover, much nicer than the Canon case which is poorly conceived for shoulder, neck carry.

N

The S90 is on bottom, it looks like the S95 are lower, not higher.

There is no chance it will fit, never thought any different even a year ago. My spare S90 should arrive today :). I also ordered a real nice filter adapter and a leather case from one of the Hong Kong shops with a leather strap and flip down rear cover, much nicer than the Canon case which is poorly conceived for shoulder, neck carry.

N
You're absolutely right to order a second S 90 and I'm going to do exactly the same .:blinking:
I'm completely fond of this little camera and I never use video :no:

I have had several video cameras, Aqua Video housings, lights, all of the video I shot, don't know where it is or even if I have it anymore, but slides and B&W that I shot when I was a child, I still have.

IMAG0143_edited.jpg

I figure S90s will start disappearing pretty quick, local stores are sold out now. I doubt they restock until the S95 is available. If you are planning on a spare S90, NIB, better get cracking, I am thinking we have about two months before they start getting hard to find.

I am sure prices will drop below the 330 going rate now, but, my luck I would wait for that 275 price and they would be sold out. I am jumping now while it is on my brain cells and I got the cash in hand.

N

The S90 is on bottom, it looks like the S95 are lower, not higher. ....

N

Good catch, I got the photos mixed up. S95 buttons are a tad lower and the spacing seems different. Just enough differences adding up to make sharing the old housing a bit difficult.

It seems like the only new feature this offers is HD video, which is important for some, but not for me. Too slow to convert the AVCHD files for edits. Personal choice. For my purposes the S90 is just as good.

Attachments

• Canon S90 S95.jpg
    Canon S90 S95.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
They also swapped the position of the RING FUNC and POWER buttons. That would probably drive you crazy, if you go back and forth between the s90 and s95.

I hope they fixed the erratic focus in macro that several of us have experienced.

I don't know which thread it came up in but somebody got a S90, newer than mine, and said that they could not turn off the focus assist light. Well, whatever, but the brand spanking new S90 I got Tuesday from Amazon, I can indeed turn off the focus assist light, in fact, the new "spare" S90 camera functions exactly like my original S90 in all ways. I have tested it in the FIX housing, obviously a sofa test, lol, but it works fine in the FIX housing with all functions including the rear ring control, no issues. I do notice the rear ring control is slightly stiffer than my original S90, not sure if that is intentional or not but it has no detrimental effect on the housing ring control function when the camera is installed into the housing.

N

I do notice the rear ring control is slightly stiffer than my original S90, not sure if that is intentional or not but it has no detrimental effect on the housing ring control function when the camera is installed into the housing.
For dry-land shooting, that's a good thing. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom