Shark attack response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is just a “what-if” scenario. My diving is not dominated or overshadowed by fear and thoughts concerning shark attacks. I do recognize the low probability concerning such an event. This is just one of those things that I wonder about sometimes, and I would suspect that many other divers do also, on occasion.:coffee:

Ben

Believe me I've thought this over in my head, even before I even thought of getting certified.

IMO I think the best bet would be to go for the eyes, nostrils or gills.
Sharks do have protective covers for their eye so I think targeting the eyes wouldn't be as effective as other areas. I do know that fish gills are just composed of thin cells to allow oxygen in the water to diffuse through. I'm pretty sure roughing this would be extremely uncomfortable for a shark.
And of course no person or animal likes fingers crammed up their nostrils.

Trying to punch or knife a shark underwater just seems to complicated. I don't think I could deploy my knife in that situation.

Just remember that all shark's prey can't really fight back. You don't have fish w/ 3 inch horns just roaming the sea. So any bodily intrusive attack would be a surprise for them.

Just my two cents

So any bodily intrusive attack would be a surprise for them.

Just my two cents

Hmm, I just thought of an idea that might work to fend off a shark attack even if you have no tools, based on your post quoted above.

However it would involve getting the shark turned around so you're behind it and you'd have to be able to "deploy" in a very difficult situation. It would also only work for guys.

You'd think it wouldn't be difficult to make something that could be shot at a shark (or anything that's coming for you) that could tranquilize it. Some kind of dart, needle, or maybe some solution that could be dispersed that would harm him and not you. Maybe there's just not enough call for something like that to be profitable. A stun gun would be nice, except for the electricity....

You'd think it wouldn't be difficult to make something that could be shot at a shark (or anything that's coming for you) that could tranquilize it. Some kind of dart, needle, or maybe some solution that could be dispersed that would harm him and not you. Maybe there's just not enough call for something like that to be profitable. A stun gun would be nice, except for the electricity....

Yeah while you're at it why not invent something to use during a storm so you dont get struck by lightening? The odds are roughly the same. Something with a long metal rod and a nice handle, and when it starts to get really nasty, give it to your friend and tell them it's an umbrella and hope they don't look up.

Yeah while you're at it why not invent something to use during a storm so you dont get struck by lightening? The odds are roughly the same. Something with a long metal rod and a nice handle, and when it starts to get really nasty, give it to your friend and tell them it's an umbrella and hope they don't look up.

Yeah, good idea-couldv'e used something like that a month ago to zap all those stinging jellies at Noyack Bay.

Out of curiousity, is it not odd that there is no effective weapon (with safety catch, of course) on the market that would deter, neutralize, or even kill an attacking shark? ... At any rate, if such a weapon becomes available, count me in.

When Peter Benchley published "JAWS", my Mom bought me a very compact high tech bang stick. You'll see it in some of the pics I posted on threads.

It was about 2ft long with band like a pole spear. It had no projectile and no safety pin. The charge was inserted into the tip (retained by friction), and on contact with the beast, the expanding gasses would would terminate the monster.

One of these, perhaps?

t_shrka.jpg

That's a Farallon Shark Dart, which supposedly killed the animal via an injection of CO2 gas from the cartridge. I believe it also came in a spear-tip version. I don't believe any were actually used for that purpose.

Years ago, I was a private in the WA National Guard and we were out on an exercise at the Yakima Firing Center. I kid you not, there was a full blown lightning storm going on and they had a line of APC's and tanks at the top of a ridge with antennas up and everything. I volunteered to be a ground guide.

Just like shark attacks, they say getting struck by lightning is extremely uncommon, yet I think there are still ways to ensure that you buck the odds.

Hmm, I just thought of an idea that might work to fend off a shark attack even if you have no tools, based on your post quoted above.

However it would involve getting the shark turned around so you're behind it and you'd have to be able to "deploy" in a very difficult situation. It would also only work for guys.

HAHAHA; my thoughts exactly
glad someone picked up on my dirty mind xD

How about this one? I hear that the new dive alert sound alarm will work underwater. If a shark was circling around you, or just showing a bit more interest in you than you were comfortable with, what might be the effect of sounding the dive alert under water ?? Would the pitch of the sound draw them closer, make them leave, or have no effect at all ?? Maybe that, in addition to blowing bubbles might make them think twice and leave??? We might need a "mythbusters" episode on this one (LOL).

All you need to know on this topic, you can find in my sig.

Back
Top Bottom