AKONA BAGS--Anyone know how to fix them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobfmdc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I come seeking your knowledge, oh wise forum folks--and to impart a bit of a heads up about Akona product service.

I have two ten-year old Akona rolling gear bags that are virtually identical to the AKB149 model sold today for around $350. Although not new, I only have about 15 trips on them. Last trip, one disintegrated structurally. All the various parts of this bag are riveted to a flexible, plastic-like sheet that is inside the back of the bag. In my case, it looks like that got brittle and broke into about 20 pieces when it received a knock by the baggage people.*

Does anyone know what that flexible material is? I can probably repair this bag better than the original construction if I could get a sheet of that stuff.

Did I contact Akona? Of course--and got garbage from them. I asked if they had any salvaged old bags, or could sell parts. They referred me to their dealers and suggested I ask for a discount on a new bag--or go to a (unnamed) luggage repair company. Then I asked if they knew the name of the material and they responded:

"Sorry but we do not have access to the exact components/composition of our
products that are 10+ years old that is why we referred you to a luggage
repair."

Remember my bag is the same style and construction as the one you could buy today for only $350. From the speed of their response to my subsequent emails it is clear that they did not research my questions at all.

If it sounds like I got the typical Customer "Service" response from a large company that is at least two levels removed from their customers and could care less, you are right.

Oh, and by the way, most of the discounters (Leisure Pro and others) imply or state that Akona gives a 5 year guarantee on their bags. In the first email I received from Akona, they said categorically that their guarantee is only 2 years (but that the new model of my bag has a 5 year warranty). Therefore, be careful if you plan to buy one of this company's bags. When it breaks and you are looking at a $350 loss, you should know who is going to make good on the warranty and what they will pay for.

*Yes, I contacted the airline, but I did not see the extent of the damage until I unpacked a couple of days after I got home. I got the run-around from them and don't have much hope for a repair or reimbursement. I am also working on my trip insurance company. Nevertheless, I can see the failings in the design of this bag and think I can make a better one if I can find the correct material.

A polycarbonate sheet from the plastics store maybe? Like in the Bay Area, we have TAP Plastic. Certainly wouldn't break, and std thickness is 1/8".

It's call PE board (or Polyethelene "plastic"). You can go to any plastic supply house and buy a piece of board; 1/8" is probably about right. They have various types of plastic board; you just need one that is rigid enough for the backing but flexible enough for you to work with. Make sure its a poly though not some other composite or they might be brittle or too soft. To hard and brittle is worse than too soft. You may need to round (form) the ends; a good heat gun or even a hair dryer will work; depending on how your original PE board is made in the bag. Heat the edge you want to bend; spread the heat so it round evenly or roll it on a peice of pipe. You may also need to cut out slots for the wheels.

Some times Asian factories will sneak in an inferior grade of material. In my opinion, what happens is that the board gets super cold and brittle at high altitudes in the airline baggage hold, then when if get back to earth it's still frozen and the baggage handlers tossing the bag around makes the inferior PE board shatter (recyled materials often have this problem).

The thing is you can't see this problem when you're just checking for quality control of your products (unless you put it in a freezer).

It happens to the best...if you make bags eventually you be had by one of your suppliers on sonmthing.

I realize it is a long time since you posted this, but I have an Akona wheeled backpack dive bag that I think is the same as yours - 14 lbs, 31x?x?, long fin pockets on the sides, etc. The only ting wrong with it is the zipper pull came off the little pocket low on the back - I think it was to store the "stealth" bag you could cover it with so it didn't look like a dive bag. I don't use it any longer because of the size weight factor, so it is just taking up space in my garage. I will gladly sell it to ANYBODY for $25 + the cost of shipping. I have no idea how much that will be, but if anyone is interested I can research it. You can email me at dogdrjohn@gmail.com or call me at 360-606-5723. The $25 is just for the hassles of boxing it up and shipping. I live just outside Portland OR is anyone wants to just come get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom