New perspective on the oil spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Recently I had the opportunity to go to the Bahamas and go diving. While I was there I was like any other diver and or ocean lover and kept tabs on the news concerning the oil spill. I had heard all the same things most any person on here would hear which were things like 100 boats were out skimming the ocean today or a small amount of oil had washed up in a particular location.

Now my issue is simply like anyone when you are watching a television your perspective is in the numbers they throw at you. When you go to a pier and see 100 large ships and boats it is in fact a very impressive sight. So I began thinking that soon as it stops leaking they will be able to get going very quickly and maybe by the end of this year (Yea I know wishful thinking. VERY wishful)

On our way home we Departed Miami and we were in route to Houston for the first leg of my 2 flights home. I had the luck of the draw to get a window seat. As I recalled the captain had announced we were cruising at an altitude of 35 thousand feet. When I looked out my window I saw the most beautiful sight any diver and ocean lover can ever see and thats that beautiful blue water with the sunlight sparkling ever so lovingly those thousands of feet down. As the flight progressed though I saw what looked like an island outline (Which was actually the oil) and it stretched way beyond the horizon. Occasionaly Id see a little white speck which was ships and their wakes and it then hit me just how massive this whole predicument was and how little 100 of these ships would trully be able to do.

Im not sure what the distances are from where you are to the horizon but Im sure its several miles if not even 50 or more but it was solid milky brown. It was so devistating to see so many hundreds of miles of some of earths most beautiful sights covered in this nasty looking sludge. After 45 minutes it began to turn blue again but only for a short time before we landed in Houston.

Now one thing I will attest is aside from my love of God and family the ocean is one of my most beloved things on earth and it was like I was looking at one of the children who had come down with a deadly virus and was dying yet still clinging to hope we could some how save it. And what hurts the most is this was an act that was so simple to avoid and yet we let the ocean and its billions of aquatic lives down.

I hope and pray somehow the ocean makes a complete recovery and as soon as possible and that we as people learn from these mistakes and see first hand our decisions affect billions of lives we never even met.

Recently I had the opportunity to go to the Bahamas and go diving. While I was there I was like any other diver and or ocean lover and kept tabs on the news concerning the oil spill. I had heard all the same things most any person on here would hear which were things like 100 boats were out skimming the ocean today or a small amount of oil had washed up in a particular location.

Now my issue is simply like anyone when you are watching a television your perspective is in the numbers they throw at you. When you go to a pier and see 100 large ships and boats it is in fact a very impressive sight. So I began thinking that soon as it stops leaking they will be able to get going very quickly and maybe by the end of this year (Yea I know wishful thinking. VERY wishful)

On our way home we Departed Miami and we were in route to Houston for the first leg of my 2 flights home. I had the luck of the draw to get a window seat. As I recalled the captain had announced we were cruising at an altitude of 35 thousand feet. When I looked out my window I saw the most beautiful sight any diver and ocean lover can ever see and thats that beautiful blue water with the sunlight sparkling ever so lovingly those thousands of feet down. As the flight progressed though I saw what looked like an island outline (Which was actually the oil) and it stretched way beyond the horizon. Occasionaly Id see a little white speck which was ships and their wakes and it then hit me just how massive this whole predicument was and how little 100 of these ships would trully be able to do.

Im not sure what the distances are from where you are to the horizon but Im sure its several miles if not even 50 or more but it was solid milky brown. It was so devistating to see so many hundreds of miles of some of earths most beautiful sights covered in this nasty looking sludge. After 45 minutes it began to turn blue again but only for a short time before we landed in Houston.

Now one thing I will attest is aside from my love of God and family the ocean is one of my most beloved things on earth and it was like I was looking at one of the children who had come down with a deadly virus and was dying yet still clinging to hope we could some how save it. And what hurts the most is this was an act that was so simple to avoid and yet we let the ocean and its billions of aquatic lives down.

I hope and pray somehow the ocean makes a complete recovery and as soon as possible and that we as people learn from these mistakes and see first hand our decisions affect billions of lives we never even met.

We need to change our dependence on oil and seek other alternatives. Or this will continue to repeat. Watch the documentary called Crude. It's documents Texaco which is now Chevron and the destruction of natural resources in Ecuador.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flew over it on the way back from my trip to Bonaire on June 13. It was devastating to see even then. I have little hope for a speedy recovery :-(

I don't get too upset about any of the environmental tree-hugging wacko's and their diatribes but this one got to me real quick.The oceans are our life on this Earth.-------- They've got the damn thing capped. Now we need a few hurricanes to thrash the stuff around and thin it out. And a hundred ships sucking up oil on the surface isn't jack**** considering the millions of barrels which have discharged into the Gulf. Another thing, you might as well get used to the fact that this world runs on OIL and will be doing so for the next hundred years or more. Even if the USA eventually goes to other un-discovered power sources the rest of the world will keep on keeping on in the same manner. If the richest, smartest country in the world can't find an alternative what do you expect the rest of 'civilization' to do? Get used to it.

From way down here in Oz I'm not convinced we wont be affected by this in some way. The scale of this disaster in hard to comprehend as was the time taken to find a solution. I hope we can learn from this and make something positive from it also.

If the richest, smartest country in the world can't find an alternative what do you expect the rest of 'civilization' to do? Get used to it.

Richest: Definately
Smartest: Well thats debatable :eyebrow:
Smartest Country in the World - IQ Score
:popcorn:

Got to reduce our oil dependence. one of the many ways that need to be persued would be to tax these people who want to live 30-100 miles from their work and drive by themselves every day. Another better one would be to get most of the long haul trucks off the roads they are destroying and ship by train. One good hurricane over that huge slick and we will be hard pressed to find evidence of the oil. I ride a motorcycle most of the time. If this does not rattle a few cages nothing will........

From way down here in Oz I'm not convinced we wont be affected by this in some way. The scale of this disaster in hard to comprehend as was the time taken to find a solution. I hope we can learn from this and make something positive from it also.

Richest: Definately
Smartest: Well thats debatable :eyebrow:
Smartest Country in the World - IQ Score
:popcorn:

+1 for that.

Though NZ being above us on the list?.. :no:

I knew the U.S. wasn't one of the smartest on the planet, but I never realized how dumb we were! After scrolling through, I found us at an inbred 144 out of 169 measurable countries with an average IQ of 99.87; that puts us just above Canada and just below the short bus. I used to be proud to be above average...

Maybe someone with a degree in ecology or biology could chime in here. I was wondering if the oil spill would actually help the Gulf fishery. Its being fished to capacity for shrimp and fish. Now with the fishing stopped (or has it?), will that allow it to recover? I've heard of no reports of massive amounts of dead fish or shrimp washing up on shore.

The big trick is not what large adult critters got killed, but larval fish, shellfish and planktonic life got killed. This is stuff you will not see watching up, but will be a large loss to the fisheries affected. For example, it's possible to have lost entire year classes of some fish such as Bluefin Tuna. This wont' be known till next year when the juveniles would be showing up in samples. Basically, there is just no way this could turn out to be good thing in any respect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom