Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest: A Photographic Encyclopedia of Invertebrates, Seaweeds and Selected fishes by Andy Lamb and Bernard P. Hanby.
Harbour Publishing (Harbour Publishing) 2005
ISBN: 1-55017-361-8

Picture268.jpg

Perhaps the best general text for indentifying flora and fauna in the PNW and if I could have only one book for species ID this would be it. 398 pages of excellent colour photos and descriptions including common names, Binomial nomenclature, region, zones, physical characteristics and simular species. I am an admitted fish geek and so may be a bit biased but I can sit and look at the pictures for hours. It definately helps when you are on a dive and can ID some of the creatures you are seeing or look them up during the SI.

Major headings:
Flowering plants
Marine algae
Sponges
Sea anenomes, Corals, Hydroids, Hydrocorals, Jellies
Worms
Phoronids, moss animals, Nodding heads and Lampshells
Chitons, Bivalves, Univalves, Bubbleshells, Nudibranchs, Tuskshells, Octopus
Shrimps, Crabs, Hermits, Barnacles, Sea Fleas, Sea Spiders
Sea Stars, Brittle Stars, Feather Stars, Sea Urchins
Tunicates, Salps, Acorn Worms and others.
Vertebrates

The section that lacks depth IMO is the one covering fish but I believe this is because there is another book by the same author and publisher titled Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest that covers them in far greater detail.

If you are a PNW diver or are shopping for a gift for one, you couldn't go wrong with this book. It is also a great reference for beachcombers and tide pool peepers too.

Thanks for this excellent review. I agree this is an outstanding book, and the coverage of the species is superb.

I completely agree. This should be on the shelf of any critter-obsessed PNW diver.

I ordered the book from an online bookstore on the west coast - great service. Supposedly a used book, but it is mint - can't even tell if someone opened it previously. This book is far superior to the earlier book (Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest ) with better pictures, descriptions, and an intuitive layout. This will be my #1 reference guide for Pacific Northwest critters. Again, thanks for book review.

I thought I would update this review by adding the companion book: "Coastal fishes of the Pacific Northwest" by Andy Lamb and Phil Edgell. Copyright 1986, Harbour Publishing. 224pg's ISBN:0-920080-75-8.

A smaller book than its marine life partner but with a good selection of colour plates and nicely laid out pages of information. Each species includes a line drawing with identifying features, Binomial nomenclature, common names, size and distribution. Then a five part section divided into:
Sportfishing interaction
Diver interaction
Commercial fishing interaction
Beachcombers interaction and
a section on how to prepare and eat them (if applicable).

I don't know if it came out in HC as I have only seen PB editions. I get a sense that they did this book and then decided (rightly so) to go whole hog on the later marine life issue (more pics, coffee table style). However, if you have both books you could consider yoursellf well armed for most PNW recreational dive ID's.

decemberdive048.jpg

Does anybody have the new 2nd edition of "Coastal Fishes of the PNW"? I'm wondering what the differences are from the 1st ed. There doesn't seem to be any real info on the publisher's website.

Good question.

I have two 1st editions, one I bought for $6 and one I bought for $11.
The $6 is signed by Andy.
If anyone local wants the $11 one they can have it for cost.

Yeah, I got the 2nd edition of Coastal Fishes. It's very good, lots more color pics than the 1st ed, all integrated w the text ( not in a separate section like the 1st ed). I got mine at IDC, signed by Andy Lamb.

Very cool. I dive but my wife teaches high school biology and she loves this stuff. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom