Lol... Discovery's Dual Survival... Single tank cave diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lenaxia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tonight's Dual Survival is an amusing scenario.

It's titled "Out of Air"

The scenario is that 2 cave divers got disoriented in a cave dive and surfaced in a cavern "far away" from any "civilization".

The gear they're left with? Jacket BC with backmount single tanks, shockwave torch. They also apparently have two land headlamps with them too that managed to survive the dive o_O

Not to mention that they're in shorts and t-shirts and one of them is wearing combat boots.

Oh yeah, they have 2 wetsuits too.

Way to teach casual watchers that cave diving can be done on a single tank AND you can travel so far under water that you're lost from civilization from one tank...

Part 1 is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVo1HCvH10c

Last edited:
Repeat after me..."This is TV. It is for entertainment, not education."

Let's try that again..."This is TV. It is for entertainment, not education."

Now let's try this one, "If I take TV seriously, I am doomed to die due to my own ignorance and lack of real world experience."

On a personal note, that show is one of the better "Entertainment" survival shows.

Makes sense to me.

You mean I should abandon my 5 mile cave push on a single tank and headlamp? Bummer.

You mean I should abandon my 5 mile cave push on a single tank and headlamp? Bummer.

No!!! Gees man come on. You have to remember to take your combat boots and you will be ok.

Greetings Lenaxia and as afore mentioned TV really does little to be reality based.
In many cases the drama is magnified and normal procedures get nixed due to time constraints.
For example the Extreme Cave Diving special on Nova was about a real cave expedition but edited and cut in a way to produce drama and thrill.
This is a attention hook to captivate the untrained or non-diver to watch the program.
Let's face it TV is not worried about reality unless it is the actual ratings report / sponsor list. In essence it is about money that is all. They would throw their granny under the bus for a buck or at least a dramatization of the scene.
For the record IT IS NOT REALITY!
If it was, there would be a double fatality that REAL cave divers would have to recover the bodies. Just that simple.

There is a saying that Darwin's law of natural selection is alive and well.
I have to say that in my short three years of diving it is true and no level of training or years of experience will prevent it if complacency comes on the scene.
Complacency is a divers demise at any level of training!

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Wtf? They just said that dive masks have magnets to prevent fogging. Seriously?

effin' magnets, how do they work? lol

You spit on the magnets, wipe the spit off the magnet onto your finger and then onto your mask, and rub. Rinse and don mask.:D

Not sure what the objective/focus of the series is but this seems a rather unusual scenario for a show to cover. Typically these shows show survival scenarios that a typical person might find themselves in. The percentage of the population that scuba dives is rather low, the percentage of scuba divers that do cave diving is incredibly low. It seems that this scenario has a rather small population that it would ever apply to. Were they just looking for an excuse to be able to cut up a bunch of scuba gear and survive off it or something? Seems like dual survival adrift in the ocean would be a bit more applicable to the general population and a little more realistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom