Scuba College???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvr4lyf

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Folks,
I was just recently laid off (the second time in three years) and was looking for some advice. After working in my field for over 15 years and noticing the slow rebound of the current economy, I have been doing some soul searching lately. I have been looking at various dive colleges, it's time for a change!

I currently have my Rescue cert - which isn't quite enough to get started in the industry. I live in Maryland (approx 3hrs away from the ocean), married with a ten yr old daughter.

After scoping out a few institutions (Hall's institute- Florida, Pro dive - Mexico), I'm becoming a little confused. Some offer room and board, most include books, meals, rental equip, ect. with tuition.

I also spoke with a WELL KNOWN diver who has written books, was part of a discovery channel series, who told me there's not a lot of money to be made as an instructor or in the recreational dive industry in general. (looking for a yearly salary of 60k +)

My love for this sport is unyeilding!!! At this point in my life, I would like to get started SOMEWHERE. My wife understands what this means to our way of living and there may be a relocation in our future.

My question for all those out there with far more experience than myself is:
What Dive/Scuba colleges have you heard good or bad things about? Time to instructor cert? Theorys taught - enough info? Job placement issues?

Your experience is my learning tool and greatly appreciated!!!!!
Thank you in advance!!!

Joe

dvr4lyf,

The basic principle of career counseling is do what you love, the money will follow. I can tell you are passionate diving, that is a good thing.

However, you really need to test the waters (sorry) so to speak. I think it is a good start that you talked to a WELL KNOWN diver for counsel. Let me encourage you to do more of that. I would network, network, network and ask your questions from above and how are you going to make a living.

Job Placement issues? You have to watch the schools and phrase, "We have a Job Placement Office" or "We provide Job Placement Services". Technically, this could be anything from providing the office with a resume and if an employer should call in for an employee, they will look your resume over to people who do have contacts and can get you a start in a new field. Frankly, I have found the former to be what most schools offer, so let the buyer beware.

Anywho, I wish you well in your new career endeavor.

I figure that the only way that one could make 60 grand in the diving industry is to own one's own shop and boats which would necessitate a large sum of money.

You should talk to people who work as instructors. All the ones i talk to do it to subsidize they're diving habits, or just in their free time for fun.

Except for the dive shop owners everyone has a "real" job. I'd be very very hesitant to stake my family's future on the word of a scuba "college".

60k in a year? I think you need to do some more research. 60k in 2 to 4 years I suppose. Maybe he was using the 'galactic year'...or yen...either one would be more accurate.

Sorry to hear about all the job loss. It can be rough. If you are willing to relocate there are opportunities. What exactly do you do?

I also spoke with a WELL KNOWN diver who has written books, was part of a discovery channel series, who told me there's not a lot of money to be made as an instructor or in the recreational dive industry in general. (looking for a yearly salary of 60k +)

Since no one's said it yet:

The way to make $60,000 a year in the dive business is to start with $120,000 a year.

60K is not a realistic goal as a diving instructor. There are ways that individuals in the diving industry can make that much (and more) not working as a shop based instructor.

Some of my friends had a bad experience at Halls, but I heard from another (fairly reliable) source that they were there during a particularly bad time, and that it was significantly better before and afterwards. Some of my other friends did their instructor certs through an LDS and had a good time. Others were able to do it through the local state university.

From my meager experience, many LDSes have instructors filling tanks, staffing the shop and working as captains and divemasters. It appears to be long hours barely above minimum wage, and actually teaching does not seem to make up the bulk of their duties. Moreover, many of the full-time instructors I know only dive a couple times a month for fun, so gas privileges aren't as substantial as one might initially think.

The wife and I have looked this over and found that if she were to become an instructor and I a DM, then together we could make enough to live. Not at our current level, but enough to live.

So we have yet to get our DM or instructors cert. I figure in the next 10 years or so, we may relocate to another country and start up a dive shop and do it then. For now, we like our toys and trips and would rather not be relegated to a life of squalor (by our current standards).

If it is something you truly feel you want to do and you have your wifes support (which makes it easier when considering relocation) I say you only live once. You have to really think of what you want to teach and where, and if you want to eventually own a shop as well. I think answering those basic questions helps you decide your path.

Dive college?? Is this serious? "Normal" college is practically useless, but dive college really takes the cake. I could see a situation where they were actually showing you how to do tangible things that are necessary (and therefore performed in exchange for payment). A place that teaches people the necessary skills to do commercial diving makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom