Using Air WAY to Fast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howie411

Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm having a problem where I use my air to fast. I'm a novice diver and maybe done about 10 or so dives in quarries/lakes.

Every time a dive is over I have like 300 PSI or so and my dive buddies (usually different) have almost 1100+.

For instance today I went out to a lake, I was using a Steel 120 tank and my buddy was using a Aluminum 80.

When the dive was over I had 120 PSI left and she had over 1000 left. I'd say this dive was a good 35-40 minutes at around 15-20 feet.

Any suggestions? I do have a mild case of Asthma and I due tend to use my inhaler before I dive just in case.

I'm not overweight, (5'9 155 pounds) though I'm not really in shape.

Dive. Relax.
Your gas consumption will improve the more you do. Everyone's (well, almost everyone) a hoover when they start.

One thing to try is slowing down. Do things almost exaggeratedly slowly underwater.

Ditto. You can find lists on here of things to practice on this forum to improve air consumption. The best answer is : dive more. Go very slow, as has been stated, and also work on buoyancy. Dumping air in/taking air out of your BC constantly throughout the dive can waste a lot of air if you are particularly having issues staying neutral.

Yeah, that's really pretty high (~2.0cf/min/ata), but with a little effort, I'm sure you'll see it come down soon.

Are you relaxed in the water? Are you neutral? That is, do you have to fin to maintain depth or can you just float at one depth without working? You want the latter. Make sure you're not over-weighted. Make sure you're gear is streamlined (no danglies). Use your fins, not your arms. Make sure you're swimming along in horizontal trim (less drag, less effort). Most importantly, GO SLOW. Then go slower. Relax. Finally, regardless of whether or not you're using your gas faster than your buddy, make sure you leave enough to safely exit the water. 120psi isn't safe enough.

howie: when I started, I too was blowing through an al80 in 25-30 minutes. For me it happened at around 50 dives. I had my "ah-ha" moment and POOF instantly (seriously like one pivotal dive) I went from air hog to being the one coming back with 1200psi (after 45 minutes@50')

Air consumption is PRIMARILY a function of your Zen "oneness" with the water. When you learn to cross your hands in front of you, and go with the slow flow and your Buoyancy is rock solid without relying on the up and down buttons (power inflator)... and become completely at ease with your adopted surroundings, You too will become good on air.

The only way to get to that point is to dive; so the good news is that the cure to your sucking air is to do something painless... go diving. Dive some more. and then plan a dive excursion. possibly with some more diving??

The bad news?? There is really no quickie way to cheat or shortcut.... You just have to get the hours underwater mate!!

have fun and stay safe!!

Dude, don't finish the dive with 120 psi. That's simply not enough.

I agree with all of the other suggestions to improve gas consumption.
Get in better shape. Dive more.

Thanks for all the tips, I don't get to dive that often, I live in the DC metro area, so there isn't really a lot of opportunities to dive around here, if I could practice and dive more I definitely would. I do find myself using my arms a lot to move around so that may be one issue, I'll try to work on that. I think my weighting/streamlining is pretty good.

*edit* normally I wouldn't stop at 120 psi, but we were in a Lake and not deeper then 15 feet by the time I started my safety stop.

Thanks for all the tips, I don't get to dive that often, I live in the DC metro area, so there isn't really a lot of opportunities to dive around here, if I could practice and dive more I definitely would. I do find myself using my arms a lot to move around so that may be one issue, I'll try to work on that. I think my weighting/streamlining is pretty good.

*edit* normally I wouldn't stop at 120 psi, but we were in a Lake and not deeper then 15 feet by the time I started my safety stop.

Still not enough imo.. you want to be FINISHING your safety stop with at least 50 bar (725psi for you American folk) especially as a novice diver.

I'm guilty of getting back on board with 40 bar (580psi) and even that I wasn't happy with.

You should always be a safe diver!

Everything people said above and also do not compare yourself with a "she" by your name it appears you are a "he" depending on your size you may always use more air than a petite woman, assuming similar levels of comfort in the water.
Relax and keep diving, before you know it you"ll be looking to use Nitrox because you don't want to finish your dive with a tank half full.

What others are saying about the 120 psi not being enough... let me say why 120 psi simply isn't enough.

The interstage pressure (IP) of most regulators is somewhere in the neighborhood of 135 - 170 psi. Only having 120 psi in your tank could mean there's simply not enough pressure to deliver a breath - in other words... it's like being empty.

Don't fall victim to the 500 psi "rule" because there is no steadfast rule for psi remaining in your tank... suffice it to say... less than 200 psi should be considered empty empty.

With the rest of your "issue" which is really a non-issue... it's just being a novice. Almost Everyone blows their tanks quickly as they start diving. It's normal. As you get more experience, your gas consumption will get better. It's just the way it works. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom