New to diving. What to buy first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the difference between Apeks and Aqualung regs, since they are both in the Aqualung family?

Apeks versus aqualung. I don't have either. I believe they are owned by the same parent company but Apeks may still be made designed in England unless they moved the engineers. Apeks tends to be marketed towards the technical diver croud. From what I have seen, the hose routing on Apeks regs tends to be better for this.

Id say myself go with a regulator first. For a variety of reasons. For one its the most crucial piece of equipment bar none. If it fails for any reason its an instant problem if not disaster. Plus its the easiest piece of gear for me to place in a carry on bag with mask fins and if you choose to bring it a snorkel.

Another key elimint for me is I work in a hospital so I see alot of infections of all sorts come in so therefore I am very hesitant to place something in my mouth that hundreds of other people I dont know anything at all about have placed in theirs.

Id say myself go with a regulator first. For a variety of reasons. For one its the most crucial piece of equipment bar none. If it fails for any reason its an instant problem if not disaster. Plus its the easiest piece of gear for me to place in a carry on bag with mask fins and if you choose to bring it a snorkel.

Another key elimint for me is I work in a hospital so I see alot of infections of all sorts come in so therefore I am very hesitant to place something in my mouth that hundreds of other people I dont know anything at all about have placed in theirs.

Good to see someone from BA on the board. I'm from tulsa.

Cool Jon it looks like you went through Poseidon to certify am I right? Randy was my instructor and is very knowledgeable

Id say myself go with a regulator first. For a variety of reasons. For one its the most crucial piece of equipment bar none. If it fails for any reason its an instant problem if not disaster.

I like that. "most crucial piece of equipment."

I get flamed when I say that a regulator "is the diver's life support".

I like that. "most crucial piece of equipment."

I get flamed when I say that a regulator "is the diver's life support".

Well some people dont see eye to eye with people like us. It is a step down from what people are willing to describe as traditional life support but it is in fact life sustaining. With out the air underwater well people quickly learn how vital this gear is. Others who macho up and think they know everything and are a self made genius will only accept their personal beleifs.

I agree with you though so dont think everyone flames you.

I after diving now for 2 years now . I would get a good 1st stage and 2nd stage /w a good octo Then I would by a computer that would do multipal gases (mostly for NITROX) and one that has a digetal compuss . I realy have a hec of a time with the conventional style . WELCOME TO DIVING AND TO SCUBA BOARD . Good luck getting your gear . You have come to the right place for advice.

Last edited:
I after diving now for 2 years now . I would get a good 1st stage and 2nd stage /w a good octo Then I would by a computer that would do multipal gases (mostly for NITROX) and one that has a digetal compuss . I realy have a hec of a time with the conventional style . WELCOME TO DIVING AND TO SCUBA BOARD . Good luck getting your gear . You have come to the right place for advice.

Thanks for the warm welcome :).

It seems as if everyone in the dive community is much friendlier than they are in my other hobby, cycling.

Something to consider on the reg's question. Regulators require yearly service (50-100 bucks). I've decided to put those off till last for this one reason alone. Your mileage may vary but it's important to mention.

The thing about rental gear that frustrates me the most is getting things clipped on. you may have noticed this if you were trying to figure out where to put knives, lights and slates when doing your advanced dives. This pushed me to get a BC sooner than later.

As far as the digital compass goes, this is the first time i've heard someone say they prefer it to analog.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom