Ft. Pickens Report 9-6-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I made it out to Ft. Pickens today and met up with DocCarl, Kmenees, Tessunderwater, and Bamascubacat. The skies were clear and so was the water! High tide was at 08:44. I think we hit the water at about 07:30-07:45. I went down and tied off my dive flag while everyone was finishing gearing up. The viz was great, I would say it was at least 35 feet. To give an example of how clear the water was, when I tied off my flag to the tire/cage I could look up and clearly see my flag through the water flapping in the breeze. We went for a round trip of the area and had a great dive lasting 62 minutes. We sat out for an hour surface interval and then splashed for a second dive. The viz had diminished to 15-20 (still great) and this time we went out to the toilet and then over to the fishing pyramid which I found to be almost totally covered. However, on the upside the golf cart is now almost totally uncovered (the Gulf is fickle :idk:). While we were playing around out in the bay area I found some structure that I had previously never seen before NorthWest of the jeep frame. I ran some line from the jeep frame out to it and tied it off so that I can find it again. Once I am able to reference its location in my mind I will cut the string (if someone hasn't already). The structure has quite a bit of relief and is pretty big (not sure what it is). I ended dive number two at 57 minutes. I saw a couple of stingrays out in the bay area and was happy to start seeing some more of the regular life at Ft. Pickens starting to come back. I was great to meet up with some SB'ers and have a couple great dives :D.

Last edited:
Where are the pictures?

My camera flooded at Jackson Blue a while ago :shakehead:. I have been looking at some new gear and have been saving up, so I have put a new camera on the back-burner. I must say that I really miss taking pictures. I have been keeping my eye on the Canon G11.

I beg you to stop the discussion of any new cameras coming out!! I refuse to look at any advertisements or reviews of new cameras! I really wish my camera had HD! I will not get a new camera.....I will not get a new camera! :shakehead:

Example: Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PowerShot S95

f2 lens, digic4 processor, 28mm wide, image stablization, RAW, 2 inch minimum focus AND HD (720p) Video for $400!

I'd like to see how the glass compares to the G11, but otherwise this is a sweet set of features, plus it's smaller.

So glad you had some awesome dives!!

Thanks a lot for the report, my wife and I are heading over tomorrow morning to do a one-tank dive right before high tide--hope we run into similar conditions!

Today was my first Gulf dive and it was great! Didn't get to see the shark :depressed: but there were some cool fish - maybe eventually I'll have a clue what they all are.

Thanks DocCarl, Kmenees, Tessunderwater and wjefferis for being great dive buddies!

Tina

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom