out-of-shape divers doing things like diving the doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When did I say anything about their mission?
You responded to, and quoted, my post:

Advising divers to be fit seems quite consistent with their stated mission:

Is there a hidden agenda that I'm missing?
If you reread my post and read NWGratefuldiver's post, which I was responding to, you will be able to follow the discussion a little better. If you just wanted to respond to the sentence, "Is there a hidden agenda that I'm missing?" with no context, well, thanks for your input. Any other hidden agendas I should know about?

I don't know if DAN is corrupt or not, I do know that if a person is overweight, they need to be not overweight and I am not talking about lead weights on a belt but that big belly the belt goes around.

N

If you reread my post and read NWGratefuldiver's post, which I was responding to, you will be able to follow the discussion a little better. If you just wanted to respond to the sentence, "Is there a hidden agenda that I'm missing?" with no context, well, thanks for your input. Any other hidden agendas I should know about?

The last time I bothered reading DAN's magazine was when I saw the article about the fellow who got separated from his dive buddy and continued diving until he ran out of air.

DAN's advice for this fellow? Get a pony bottle.

:confused:

When did they get into the business of selling pony bottles?

How about telling the damn fool to learn some buddy skills, use common sense, and follow the standard separation procedure that would've had him surfacing after about a minute of trying to find his dive buddy?

I thought DAN was supposed to be promoting safe diving ... instead they seem to be hawking gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What exactly is so hard about it? Especially with the popularity of trimix.... a little current and poor visibility? So what...

This is 2010 not 1990.. :)

Last edited:

Their "mission" can say whatever they want, it's still just a bunch of empty "wet"suits.

Besides, do we really need a "hidden" agenda when it's clear their agenda is $

I just wanted to add that us thick girls need lovin too :eyebrow: scuba diving just makes us feel lighter :rofl3:

Read my last post, It simply measures how efficiently you use oxygen, it doesn't measure how far or fast you can run or do any physical activity. That comes from training the muscles for a particular activity.

The test begins at a slow walk. Every few 10 or so seconds the speed and incline of the treadmill increases. You don't reach a point where the speed is fast enough to begin running until the last couple of minutes but you are running up hill. The object is to see how long you can go until you are completely out of breath or you reach a target heart rate usually determined by your age. My legs usually give out before I am out of breath but I usually exceed my target heart rate.

... and this has what to do with diving?

Diving isn't an aerobic activity. The objective isn't so much to achieve a level of fitness that'll sustain a high rate of activity as it is to achieve a level of skill that'll make such effort unnecessary.

I monitor my heart rate on a treadmill, bike, or elliptical regularly ... four times a week for at least 30 minuntes at a time. I can sustain it at between 120 and 140 beats per minute for virtually the entire time and not feel particularly out of breath.

And yet when I dive ... even under the most strenuous conditions ... I will rarely encounter a situation where it's going to be that high for more than a couple minutes at a time.

So what's the point?

I can easily agree that fitness is important to divers ... I don't think anyone would argue that point. But applying some arbitrary level to all divers is just plain stupid, because what constitutes an appropriate fitness level is going to depend on the individual skills of the diver and the environment in which they're diving.

"One size fits all" simply doesn't mean a whole lot ... except, perhaps, for people who don't want to really think about why such criteria are needed in the first place ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What exactly is so hard about it? Especially with the popularity of trimix.... a little current and poor visibility? So what...

This is 2010 not 1990.. :)

Mental. You've paid lots of money to get there and are beat to crap getting your gear through NYC out Long Island to Montauk, only to have a long, long steam out there. You're beat to crap before things start.

It's not deep, but deep enough to get you into trouble. The current can be more than a "little" and then there's the penetration, which most people really don't do to that extent. It's a large object that isn't cleaned up.

Some guy comes up with nice plates and then you need to go get some. Add non-local diver to that mix and it starts adding up.

The FAT guy from Brooklyn can beat the traffic and is probably already asleep on the boat as you scramble to load your gear!

-matt

... and this has what to do with diving?

Diving isn't an aerobic activity. The objective isn't so much to achieve a level of fitness that'll sustain a high rate of activity as it is to achieve a level of skill that'll make such effort unnecessary.

I monitor my heart rate on a treadmill, bike, or elliptical regularly ... four times a week for at least 30 minuntes at a time. I can sustain it at between 120 and 140 beats per minute for virtually the entire time and not feel particularly out of breath.

And yet when I dive ... even under the most strenuous conditions ... I will rarely encounter a situation where it's going to be that high for more than a couple minutes at a time.

So what's the point?

I can easily agree that fitness is important to divers ... I don't think anyone would argue that point. But applying some arbitrary level to all divers is just plain stupid, because what constitutes an appropriate fitness level is going to depend on the individual skills of the diver and the environment in which they're diving.

"One size fits all" simply doesn't mean a whole lot ... except, perhaps, for people who don't want to really think about why such criteria are needed in the first place ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Skill only takes you so far. The point is when the you know what hits the fan that you have the necessary fitness to deal with the situation. Sudden current, a difficult rescue in high seas. If all your diving is in fairly benign water then fitness may not be so important.

We can say any guide line about anything is "arbitrary" that doesn make it not revelent.

Skill only takes you so far. The point is when the you know what hits the fan that you have the necessary fitness to deal with the situation. Sudden current, a difficult rescue in high seas. If all your diving is in fairly benign water then fitness may not be so important.

We can say any guide line about anything is "arbitrary" that doesn make it not revelent.

Puget Sound's hardly what I'd call benign ... true, we don't typically get the big waves out here ... but I do know something about diving in current. It's just a fact of life for those of us who dive here ... and you learn how to deal with it.

As I said, no one's arguing that fitness is irrelevent ... but I think you need to take other factors into consideration when determining what level of fitness is appropriate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom