AT&T coverage, iPhone issues in Cozumel ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife did not turn off her automatic update feature last time we were at El Cantil, so although she never once used her iphone for a call or a text, the auto push notifications racked up $600 in data fees while sitting on her nightstand.

AT&T waived it, but we learned a lesson.

The iPhone gets great coverage outside of the US. I add the international plan before I leave and take it off the plan when I return. Even with the plan, charges are fairly high. I never use data unless I am on a WiFi. Turn off push notifications and data roam or you will pay dearly.

The iPhone gets great coverage outside of the US.

"Outside of the US" covers a lot of territory, and isn't very useful as a blanket statement. For that matter, there's lousy or nonexistent coverage many places within the US. Around here, there's no usable GSM for a long way (20+ miles in any direction). There are small spots where GSM devices work, but these do not include my home or office or anywhere around them. Large areas of the US do not have cellular service of any sort, and GSM is even less well-represented.

Urban areas outside the US tend to have pretty good GSM coverage. Many European countries have near-universal coverage. Lots of the planet still has no usable radio signals except from satellites and shortwave.

You know my Sprint Blackberry did pretty well down there. I left the email on, but I guess because BB truncates everything it was ok. Data was like .002 cents a kb or something. Service was great all the way to almost Ibero. At Ibero, its sketchy. I got a little wild and sent a few pictures off the phone last time and it cost a couple bucks. That an phone calls for a week, I racked up like $70 in 9 days. I just ordered an upgrade from Tour to Bold to add wifi, so that ought to lower the cost a bit too. Sprint International plan I had didn't add anything in pricing, it just let me use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom