Uemis SDA first dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarjan

Contributor
Reaction score
I took advantage of the deal going on last month, and just got my first dive in with my sda out at the millbrook quarry doing a checkout prior to a blackbeard's liveaboard trip. Call me crazy, but a 3mil suit is not enough in that quarry :wink:

As for the sda, the water was very murky with visibility going from 15' down to next to nothing. Swimming through into the open areas was disorienting with absolutely nothing there but me, the muck and my buddy. That being said, the sda was staggeringly visible. Every angle it was perfect, even my buddy said he could see it clear as day.

I found the interface to be "enough" all of the information available to see with it changing to show urgent issues like fast ascent.

I would like more options to choose my own alarm sounds though, especially on fast ascent, though descent would be cool too. Maybe a target max depth separate from actual max depth. It is just too darn easy (for me) to get distracted doing a bunch of stuff and I would like it to do some more interesting notifications to alert of changing conditions.

I would also appreciate an auto boot/start when you get down below a few feet. Its just annoying to have to start it up with the controls and hope it doesn't shut off before you head down. What if you get into a conversation for a few minutes in the water before you head down?

That stuff should be possible I would guess, but who knows when.

Hi Tarjan

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts. I also recently purchased the SDA and did a few dives on it over the last few weeks. I have to admit that with the unit switching off after it had been turned on is somewhat annoying. I didn't even notice that it was off and had to switch it on again and with 7mm gloves not an easy task especially when you enter choppy waters. Never the less the SDA is a great computer and I believe that they will work out the few small issues. Also the motion detection is annoying as I found the SDA switched on most of the time I moved my dive bag saying resuming and booting up. They should have an option to switch this function off.

The OLED display however is a joy to use and perfect for low vis dives.

Let's hope some of the UEMIS guys reading through this forum and take on-board issues we experience in real life.

Holgs

It has been my experience so far that it DOES auto start when you get down to a certain depth. I have not tried that from a "deep sleep" on the unit, but for example, if an hour or so before your first dive of the day you start the unit up and check/set all your dive settings, it will then go to sleep. I just jump right into the water and start my dive and it starts up calculating immediately. That has been my experience so far at least.

it should autostart at ~6'... if it does not do that, fill out a ticket, and do a firmware update/reinstall. i have not actually seen one myself that didn't autostart, i've gotten a report of it, but I could not replicate the issue with the same unit.

you can also change the 'sleep' time so that it doesn't switch 'off' if you are floating around for a minute or so before descent, if its just 'on' from the surface down that you want to see :)

Hmm, I remember having to turn it on while going down but I might have been at 5' down at that point. Probably just didn't wait long enough while going under. I had been at the surface for a while talking and it had shut off.

After that I just turned it on.

As for motion sensor, I didnt realize it had one as it hasn't (for me) turned on without sliding down and right at the same time. Shouldn't that keep it awake while in the water (especially choppy water)? Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom