GoPro HD or Contour 1080p?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rzep

Contributor
Reaction score
GoPro HD or Contour 1080p?

Since the introduction of those little toys, I have been thinking of getting one of them as a secondary unit.
I am planning to use it, helmet mounted, offering alternative perspective to main cam, or as a primary(realizing off course their shortcomings), for those dives you don't want to take the large setup.
I am primary looking for an opinions on u/w use - I have seen side by side topside footage.
Any opinions?
Picture quality, contrast, color, white balance, low light conditions, working with artificial light sources, night diving, cave diving, lens quality, as well as ease of u/w operation, etc.
Price wise Hero is definitely better choice, but Contour's housing has a deeper ratings which is important to me and you don't need any aftermarket focus solutions.
What about image stabilizing, I am guessing it become important in such a light and tiny setups.
Which one is a better choice?
rgrds
Tomek

Hi Tomek,
Being the manufacturer of the H2OV housing for the ContourHD, I may be a little biased but I think the ContourHD is a far superior camera. It is more stream line, has a 130 degree wide lens which can rotate 180 degrees for leveling at any mounting angle, it also has 2 alignment lasers to easily set horizontal and position center of video, you can also adjust the light balance through firmware. The H2OV housing is a hand built, well machined professional housing made from high grade cell cast acrylic with precision stainless steel hardware, not a plastic injection mold made in china, The H2OV is pressure rated to 300 feet, it has been used in cave diving to depths beyond 250 feet and wreck diving to 270 feet. The low light capability is pretty good, here is a link to a wreck dive on our website that shows good ambient light at 180 feet. YouTube - Diving the Northern Light off Key Largo with the Halycon HDV T16 and R 14
Please visit our website for more information and to see video results from blue water to green water to deep dark water. GMSconcepts
Best Regards,
Gregg
GMSconcepts

Bill Dance the famous fisherman had recommended that we look at the GoPro for our production of Travelers In Paradise the new scuba diving TV show that premiers on Versus network on the 28th of this month at 9:30 Am EST. .

I cant speak for the contour. But I can tell you that we had trouble with the GoPro on our last trip to the B VI's.

It was continually shutting down. We set it up a on the fender mount to tape some of the driving on the crazy roads there and it shut down even though we had it in a ventilated housing.

We taped it to a wind surfing board and it shut down. It even shut down while doing some shallow underwater taping.

When it worked, it worked great. When it got hot it shut down. I think for the surfers in southern Calif. It would be fine the cold water there would keep it working but in the hot Caribbean sun and waters it would shut down.

We are hoping the contour will be better.

Note to Greg. One thing I am looking for is a camera that I can tow backwards at about 4~6 knots and about 100 yards behind a boat. We are trying to set up a fishing shot where we can actually see the fish (marlin, swordfish, Mahi, etc.) strike the baits. Will the contour housing do this? It does not look very hydro dynamic.

My personal experience with the Contour cameras has been for the most part problem free and very rewarding. I’ve used the camera heli-skiing in Canada in very cold temperatures and dirt bike riding in the Northwest, in rainy conditions to 90 degree hot summers (without any housing) and was always happy with the results. My enthusiasm for this camera and my love for diving is what brought about the H2OV housing.
This year the Contour/H2OV system is being used in recreational and technical diving from the Caribbean to Canada, from shallow reefs to 300 foot deep wrecks and we have been getting good reviews.

Note to traveler, I’m not sure the H2OV would be very hydrodynamic at trolling speeds, unless it was mounted to a torpedo style platform or some other stabilizing device, the system is however compact and tough enough that something like that would be possiable, you’ll have to get one and let me know what you come up with. :D GMSconcepts

GSM concepts said -

Note to traveler, I’m not sure the H2OV would be very hydrodynamic at trolling speeds, unless it was mounted to a torpedo style platform or some other stabilizing device, the system is however compact and tough enough that something like that would be possiable, you’ll have to get one and let me know what you come up with. GMSconcepts

I was hoping you might be able to design/ develop one! You are a housing manufacturer aren't you? I was thinking something torpedo shaped which a point on the end to attach a fishing line to drag it in the water. With the camera facing backwards and taping what is behind it. Possible even a clip system to place it in line with the fishing line and bait being trolled. That way I could place it on the fishing line about 3~5 feet in front of the bait and see and record the strike. It would act as a teaser of a sort and should add to the trolled baits action.

GSM concepts said -

Note to traveler, I’m not sure the H2OV would be very hydrodynamic at trolling speeds, unless it was mounted to a torpedo style platform or some other stabilizing device, the system is however compact and tough enough that something like that would be possiable, you’ll have to get one and let me know what you come up with. GMSconcepts

I was hoping you might be able to design/ develop one! You are a housing manufacturer aren't you? I was thinking something torpedo shaped which a point on the end to attach a fishing line to drag it in the water. With the camera facing backwards and taping what is behind it. Possible even a clip system to place it in line with the fishing line and bait being trolled. That way I could place it on the fishing line about 3~5 feet in front of the bait and see and record the strike. It would act as a teaser of a sort and should add to the trolled baits action.
We would be happy to discuss building a custom housing for you, please contact me at, gregg@gmsconcepts.com

GMSconcepts

Well, thx for all the answers. I still haven't decide on the camera yet. Watching all the video comparisons available on line, I can't point a definite winner in video quality category, which is most important. Contour may have a little more vivid colors while Hero footage seams to be little brighter and crisp, specially at the low light conditions. Last statements being only based on the personal impressions of viewed available material.
Features wise, Go Pro have an edge with the ability of still pictures, wider lens angle, bigger memory, field changeable settings, and more mounting options and batteries.
Back to Contour, laser beams are great touch. I also prefer Contour's 'camcorder style' set up, oppose to Go Pro's 'still camera' looks, but that's only cosmetics.
Now, the biggest argument for a Contour is its underwater housing tested for 400' feet ready to use out of the box.
Go Pro's housing is only good for 180', which is unfortunately not enough for some of my diving.
On top of that You have to replace the original lens for the flat one which fix the inherited problem but also effects the wide angle ability. The Contour + H2O will be the clear winner in that category if not the fact, that this combination is more than two times expensive(680$) that GoPro with original housing plus the flat lens(260$).

If you get the H2Ov case, you will want to search for it online to find the "older" one for $299.

The "new" one is exactly the same except the rubber that wraps around the side also now covers a centimeter on the front and looks thicker. For the extra $100, I don't think the bigger rubber piece is worth it.

The actual case is exactly the same. They got a new machine that lets them test it to 400' which is the reason for the rated depth increase.

NeweggMall and Helmetcameracentral still have the $299 one

Had the $299 one not been available, I would have gone with the GoPro.

If you do go with the GoPro, here's an excellent site for better UW GoPro cases, lenses and accessories. Also DRIS sells accessories and the Sartek case that's rated to 240' for only $97.

I'll hopefully have a video to share after my dives tomorrow...if the weather cooperates.

i have to agree, the contour 1080 is a great camera. I had it for about 3 months before the local quarry ate it. I pretty sure someone found it before i did, even though i spent so many dive looking for it. I've considered buying another on, but at this time I don't have the money to drop on another unit...good luck, hopefully better than mine!

Back
Top Bottom