Kill Devil Hills Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't swim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going to Kill Devil Hills, N.C. Sept. 18, 2010 thru the 23rd.
I am hoping to get in some shore diving.
Does anyone have any personal experience with any of the local dive centers?
I'm not looking for boat dives or deep dives, I just wanna get in some good diving.
Thank you

There are a couple dives off the beach in Nags Head, however, current and viz vary greatly from day to day. It ain't the Keys or the Caribbean, however it is diving...

NC Beach Diving

HURON- a 541 ton federal gunship steamer with sail. Went down with 98 crewmen on November 24, 1877, 150 yards offshore @20 feet of water.

EXPLORER - Tugboat. Lost on December 12, 1919. Milepost 11, just 100 yards north of Huron. 150 yards offshore, @20 feet of water.

I tried shore diving there...once. I drove down from Virginia with a few other divers. After fighting the surf for 30 minutes I was the only one to get out past the breakers. As long as you catch it at the right time you may be OK. We obviously caught it on the wrong day.

An outfit I think is worth checking out is Nag's Head Diving.
The Outdoors Inn Bed
I stayed at their B&B this spring, and they were incredibly nice. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate for the diving, so I can't actually speak to the dives they do, but they seemed like a very well run outfit, the rates seemed very reasonable and, as I said, they were super nice.

Hope you get some good dives in!
-Colin

Had a pretty good experience with Outer Banks Dive Center in Nags head... good folk, accommodating.

Hit up the Triangle Wrecks off of 2nd St. in KDH. It usually has a buoy on it to swim to.

Well everyone, I thank each of you for your input!
The bad news is: I won't be off to go now.
I have to work the 11-7 night shift and that messes up the whole thing.

Thank you again

I hate work, it gets in the way of so much good stuff!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom