BCD, Regulator, or Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdoolittle

Registered
Reaction score
Any recommendations on my next purchase? I live in MI and plan to dive all over...with special trips to warmer weather. I currently own - mask, snorkel, fins, boots, gloves and hood. I am debating what to buy next and I have been leaning toward a dive computer. My rationale is that I can take it with me even when I travel (without having to bring separate luggage when I fly).

I am new to diving (less than a year) and I am working toward my Advanced Open Water Certification. I plan on staying in the recreational limits of diving.

Computer is never a bad idea I'm assuming you are thinking wrist and not console.

Personally, regs would be my choice along with a computer. I like knowing who's been breathing off and the condition of my regs.

Regs, buy the regs and carry a RDP in the BCD pocket. Problem solved!

I would go for the computer, then the reg and then B.C. .
The reason for the computer is that you can't always use your
dive buddies computer or time. . And its is true Akscubainst say,
you don't know who used that reg before you. .

Another option you mat want to consider is maybe to get a
dive watch for you and a reg at the same time if you finances
allows it. . Only thing with the dive watch is you always have
to plan your dive's carefully from your R.D.P, wich means your
dive time may not always be as long as the others or even your
dive buddy because the watch don't keep 'a profile like a
computer, but you have all the basics on a dive watch that
you will need and maybe aswell a reg (wich you can take on a
plain as hand luggade). . Just a thought. .

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burnout:

You forgot to include a wetsuit on your gear list. I would put that in the #1 position on the list -- a wetsuit that fits and is of appropriate thickness for whatever water temp you'll be diving in. Some people have an unusual body type that doesn't fit into off-the-rack rental sizes. If this describes you, then make sure you buy your own wetsuit.

The more I dive, the pickier I've become with regard to the rest of my equipment.

I like the cracking pressure set to about 1" of water on my regs. If it's in the 1.5" range or higher, it just annoys me. Whether you rent or own regs you should be doing a comprehensive pre-dive inspection to ensure that the reg is functioning properly. I can't tell you how many times I've seen divers walk out of the LDS without first testing rental regs. It's crazy. Very few instructors teach their students how to do this.

I like my BCD to fit. My static weighting should promote good horizontal trim. With the vast majority of BCDs, these requirements can be met using the trim weight pockets and a couple of tank band pockets (I use the XS Scuba weight pockets mounted on the tank cambands). I can make conventional jacket-style BCDs, rear-inflate BCDs, and BP/Ws work for me. Whether you rent or own a BCD, please conduct a comprehensive pre-dive inspection. Once again, I've seen countless divers leave the dive shop without testing out the rental BCD. This is a HUGE oversight in my opinion.

Computers aren't fit-dependent. They are optional. One can very easily dive using tables, an analog depth gauge, and a dive watch. Computers are convenient, however. And they do help extend bottom time on a multi-level profile.

I'd probably buy gear in this order: wetsuit, BCD, reg, computer. The thinking behind my ordering is that the stuff that needs to fit should be purchased first. I have no qualms about renting BCDs or regs...but then again I do comprehensive checks on both pieces of gear to minimize chances of failure on a dive. I also have no issue with trying out 4 or 5 sets of rental regs to find one that works for me. Few people put that much effort into selecting rental gear.

I would go with a reg before anything else if you can only get one. you can usually rent a computer for fairly cheap. I would rather have my own set of regs than a rental reg.

I like the cracking pressure set to about 1" of water on my regs. If it's in the 1.5" range or higher, it just annoys me.

While I agree with you on most of your post. Set your regs at 1" here and you would have serious freezeup/freeflow issues.

I agree with exposure protection first. I would try for a reg and computer next. While computer rentals are cheap, I think it's helpful to actually know how to use your computer. A wrist computer is awesome because it travels so easily (wear it as your watch). But if you don't go air integrated, now you have to get a console, which can add bulk to your regulator. I had my reg rendered unusable on a trip and had to use a rental and it made me really appreciate having my own clean reg. For me, the BCD is the first think I reconsider when packing gets tight on a trip (I'm a carry on only guy).

You forgot to include a wetsuit on your gear list. I would put that in the #1 position on the list

Agree 100%. I've never been to Michigan but I'm betting about zero % of your local diving can be done without a wetsuit.

While I agree with you on most of your post. Set your regs at 1" here and you would have serious freezeup/freeflow issues.
@akscubainst: Are you sure that cracking pressure should be set higher for cold water diving? I understand that there are several practices that divers should adopt when diving in cold water to avoid free-flow, but I wasn't aware that setting cracking pressure higher was one of them. I do know that i.p. on the first stage should be set in the low end of the manufacturer specs. I also know that the first stage should be environmentally sealed to decrease chances of first stage freeze-up. To prevent second stage freeze-up, various heat exchangers (or all-metal casings) can be incorporated into the design of the second stage. I'd probably also leave the Venturi lever set to the (-) or pre-dive position.

I have to defer to your experience since obviously you dive in much colder water than I do. The coldest water I've dived my regs in is the high 40s°F in the ocean.
Perhaps other cold water divers will comment on this to see whether there is some sort of consensus.

If I can't set the cracking pressure to below 1.5" of water on my regs, then I probably won't be diving in very cold water. I'm spoiled by the wimpy low 50s°F we see here in San Diego.

Back
Top Bottom