Virginia State Trooper dies after dive in Lake Anna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2O Gal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From our local TV news WDBJ:

RICHMOND, Va. —

RICHMOND –

The Virginia State Police are mourning the line-of-duty death of one of their own this evening.

Trooper Mark D. Barrett, 41, died Tuesday afternoon following a training exercise on Lake Anna.

Trooper Barrett joined the state police in 2007, he was assigned to patrol in Henrico County and the City of Richmond.

Trooper Barrett was also a member of the State Police Search and Recovery Team (SRT). He joined the specialty team in September 2009.

The SRT was conducting its annual in-service training this week and had spent the day in the southeastern portion of Lake Anna on the Louisa County side conducting deep-water dives.

Shortly before 2 p.m., Trooper Barrett and his “dive buddy,” a fellow trooper, were conducting a training dive. As they were ascending, the dive buddy noticed Trooper Barrett was having difficulty. The dive buddy aided Trooper Barrett to the surface and immediately signaled for help from the other divers.

The divers lifted Trooper Barrett onto the SRT boat and administered CPR as the boat returned to shore. The Louisa County Volunteer Rescue Squad met the boat at the Lake Anna Beach Marina and continued medical aid.

Trooper Barrett was transported to Henrico Doctors’ Hospital in Henrico County, where he died. His body has been transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for examination and autopsy.

“The entire Virginia State Police family is suffering from this tragic loss of such a hardworking and dedicated state trooper,” said Colonel W. Steven Flaherty, Virginia State Police Superintendent. “Diving was a great passion of his, and he was respected for his skill and aptitude for safety. We hold his family, his fellow troopers, and SRT members in our hearts and prayers during this difficult time.”

Trooper Barrett is survived by a wife and two children. He is a Chesterfield County native and graduate of Manchester High School. He also earned an associate’s degree from John Tyler Community College.

Copyright © 2010, WDBJ7-TV

I am new here and to scuba diving. I have been reading these posts with much interest and sadness. I know that Lake Anna has been dicussed here a few times about diving. I live along Lake Anna and have no interest in diving it. I swim and boat in it was that is my limit there.

Desi

Va trooper dies following dive training exercise
By the Associated Press
September 15, 2010

RICHMOND, Va. - A Virginia State Police trooper has died following a deep-water dive training exercise in Lake Anna.

State Police say in a news release that 41-year-old Trooper Mark D. Barrett was having difficulty as he and another trooper returned to the lake's surface following a dive Tuesday afternoon. The other trooper helped Barrett to the surface and signaled for help.

Barrett was taken to a local hospital, where he died.

The cause of death hasn't been determined. The body was taken to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for an autopsy.

Barrett was a member of the State Police Search and Recovery Team, which was conducting the annual training exercise on the Louisa County side of the lake.

I am sorry to have to have learned of a fatality during a training dive in Lake Anna yesterday. I knew Troper Barrett and he was a dedicated LE officer. It is unfortunate to lose a public safety diver during training but it is a fact of life that PSD divers have to train in conditions they work in. His friends and family will miss thiis man. Here is the news release :

State trooper dies after training dive in Lake Anna

Credit: STATE POLICE

Trooper Mark D. Barrett was a native of Chesterfield County and a graduate of Manchester High School.
By Frank Green | TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Published: September 15, 2010

A Virginia State Police trooper assigned to patrol in the Richmond/Henrico County area died yesterday afternoon after a training dive in Lake Anna.

According to state police, trooper Mark D. Barrett, 41, also a member of the State Police Search and Recovery Team, was conducting a training dive in Lake Anna when his "dive buddy," a fellow trooper, noticed that Barrett was having difficulty as they were ascending.

The dive buddy helped Barrett to the surface and signaled for help from other divers. The divers lifted Barrett onto the team boat and administered CPR as the boat returned to shore.

The Louisa County Volunteer Rescue Squad met the boat at the Lake Anna Beach Marina and continued aid. Barrett was transported to Henrico Doctors' Hospital, where he died. His body has been transported to the medical examiner's office for examination and an autopsy.

"The entire Virginia State Police family is suffering from this tragic loss of such a hardworking and dedicated state trooper," said Col. W. Steven Flaherty, state police superintendent. "Diving was a great passion of his, and he was respected for his skill and aptitude for safety. We hold his family, his fellow troopers, and SRT members in our hearts and prayers during this difficult time."

The search and recovery team was conducting its annual in-service training this week and had spent the day conducting deep-water dives in the southeastern portion of Lake Anna on the Louisa side.

Barrett joined the state police in 2007 and graduated from the 114th Basic Session in July 2008. He joined the specialty team in September 2009.

Barrett's survivors include a wife and two children. He was a Chesterfield County native and a graduate of Manchester High School. He also earned an associate degree from John Tyler Community College.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
No sense in speculating here. We will eventually find out the cause of death. It may not be a diving related issue at all. It is a shame, we need the folks that can do this type of work. I respect them all immensely.

Prayers sent to Va.State Police SRT team and the Family of the Trooper during this difficult time.

I found this on Facebook on the Virginia State Police site:
I know nothing more than what I am sharing with SB, however if I hear more that I am able to pass along I will.
RIP Trooper Barrett and thank you for your service to the people of our beautiful state.
Prayers and thoughts to his family and brothers and sisters in law.

From the Virginia State Police Facebook site posted today:
VSP Mourns Loss of Trooper During Training Exercise in Louisa County
.by Virginia State Police on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 at 10:08pm.The Virginia State Police are mourning the line-of-duty death of one of their own this evening. Trooper Mark D. Barrett, 41, died Tuesday afternoon (Sept. 14, 2010) following a training exercise on Lake Anna. Trooper Barrett joined the state police in 2007 and graduated from the 114th Basic Session on July 3, 2008. He was assigned to patrol in Henrico County and the City of Richmond.

Trooper Barrett was also a member of the State Police Search and Recovery Team (SRT). He joined the specialty team in September 2009.

The SRT was conducting its annual in-service training this week and had spent the day in the southeastern portion of Lake Anna on the Louisa County side conducting deep-water dives. Shortly before 2 p.m., Trooper Barrett and his “dive buddy,” a fellow trooper, were conducting a training dive. As they were ascending, the dive buddy noticed Trooper Barrett was having difficulty. The dive buddy aided Trooper Barrett to the surface and immediately signaled for help from the other divers.

The divers lifted Trooper Barrett onto the SRT boat and administered CPR as the boat returned to shore. The Louisa County Volunteer Rescue Squad met the boat at the Lake Anna Beach Marina and continued medical aid. Trooper Barrett was transported to Henrico Doctors’ Hospital in Henrico County, where he died. His body has been transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for examination and autopsy.

“The entire Virginia State Police family is suffering from this tragic loss of such a hardworking and dedicated state trooper,” said Colonel W. Steven Flaherty, Virginia State Police Superintendent. “Diving was a great passion of his, and he was respected for his skill and aptitude for safety. We hold his family, his fellow troopers, and SRT members in our hearts and prayers during this difficult time.”

Trooper Barrett is survived by a wife and two children. He is a Chesterfield County native and graduate of Manchester High School. He also earned an associate’s degree from John Tyler Community College.

I have sent an e-mail to a former co-worker that now works in the area where this incident happened. When I hear back anything that I can post on SB I will.

I saw a short story about this on the local news, but no further details were given. This happened not too far from me and I know a few members of the local dive rescue teams. This is tragic and my thoughts are with the Trooper's family.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Duplicate threads on this accident merged into one

So sad. My thoughts and prayers sent for the trooper and his family. Rest in peace. Trooper Barrett.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom