Virginia State Trooper dies after dive in Lake Anna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WRIC (Richmond news station) just reported that Trooper Barrett died from drowning, with complications due to heart problems. His equipment was in working order. Very sad.

By MARK BOWES | TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Published: September 16, 2010

Chesterfield, Va. --
A Virginia State Police trooper who died Tuesday after a deep-water training exercise in Lake Anna was one of the newest members of the department's Search and Recovery Team but was considered a skilled diver with no known health problems, authorities said.

Since joining the 20-officer specialty team about a year ago, trooper Mark D. Barrett, 41, of Midlothian had participated in several dive and rescue operations, in addition to completing regular training exercises three days a month and a full week once every quarter, said Sgt. Mitchell Smith, his supervisor.

After Barrett expressed interest in the assignment, "we brought him over to the training academy, took him to the pool and gave him some experience prior to even testing for the team," Smith said yesterday during a media briefing. "We realized he had the skills, knowledge and ability to do a great job."

On Tuesday, Barrett was among 16 Search and Recovery Team members participating in routine diving exercises in 75 feet of water in the southeastern portion of Lake Anna on the Louisa County side.

"They were tasked with just a very simple [maneuver]," Smith said.

They followed a line to the bottom of the lake, made one pass on a search line below and resurfaced following another line to the top. "The whole training evolution would have taken less than 10 minutes," Smith said.

Barrett was resurfacing with his "dive buddy" -- a fellow trooper -- when Barrett became unresponsive, said state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller.

Barrett's dive buddy immediately helped him rise to the surface and signaled for help from other divers. They lifted Barrett onto the team boat and began administering CPR as the boat returned to shore. The Louisa County Volunteer Rescue Squad continued aid as they transported Barrett to Henrico Doctors' Hospital, where he died.

Barrett is the department's first dive team member to die in the line of duty since the unit was established in 1962, Geller said. An autopsy is being conducted to determine his cause of death.

Barrett's diving equipment appeared to be functioning properly after being examined by investigators. "We have no reason to believe there was any malfunction on the part of the equipment," Geller said.

The equipment is being sent to an independent lab for further testing, she added.

Smith said Barrett had dived at that same location and at a similar depth on other occasions.

The trooper was physically active and appeared to be in good health, Smith added. He participated in an off-duty, indoor soccer team and had started training to run a marathon, Smith said.

"I noticed a marked improvement in his physical abilities," Smith said. "He started to seriously consider his diet and his general good health."

Smith joined the force three years ago, at age 38, after a career with Bliley Funeral Homes. He held an associate degree from John Tyler Community College in funeral services, Geller said.

Barrett was assigned to patrol in the Richmond/Henrico County area. His survivors include a wife, a 16-year-old daughter and a 6-year-old son.

"He was a good trooper, a very devoted father," Smith said. "Mark was the type of guy if you had a special assignment you needed to get done, he would do the assignment. He would do exactly what you asked him, and he would do the job well."

A visitation is scheduled for Thursday from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Church of the Epiphany at 11000 Smoketree Drive in Chesterfield County. A funeral will be held Friday at 10 a.m. at the same location.

My friend indicated that other than this newspaper article there wasn't much else out there to report.

By MARK BOWES | TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Published: September 16, 2010

Chesterfield, Va. --
A Virginia State Police trooper who died Tuesday after a deep-water training exercise in Lake Anna was one of the newest members of the department's Search and Recovery Team but was considered a skilled diver with no known health problems, authorities said.

Since joining the 20-officer specialty team about a year ago, trooper Mark D. Barrett, 41, of Midlothian had participated in several dive and rescue operations, in addition to completing regular training exercises three days a month and a full week once every quarter, said Sgt. Mitchell Smith, his supervisor.

After Barrett expressed interest in the assignment, "we brought him over to the training academy, took him to the pool and gave him some experience prior to even testing for the team," Smith said yesterday during a media briefing. "We realized he had the skills, knowledge and ability to do a great job."

On Tuesday, Barrett was among 16 Search and Recovery Team members participating in routine diving exercises in 75 feet of water in the southeastern portion of Lake Anna on the Louisa County side.

"They were tasked with just a very simple [maneuver]," Smith said.

They followed a line to the bottom of the lake, made one pass on a search line below and resurfaced following another line to the top. "The whole training evolution would have taken less than 10 minutes," Smith said.

Barrett was resurfacing with his "dive buddy" -- a fellow trooper -- when Barrett became unresponsive, said state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller.

Barrett's dive buddy immediately helped him rise to the surface and signaled for help from other divers. They lifted Barrett onto the team boat and began administering CPR as the boat returned to shore. The Louisa County Volunteer Rescue Squad continued aid as they transported Barrett to Henrico Doctors' Hospital, where he died.

Barrett is the department's first dive team member to die in the line of duty since the unit was established in 1962, Geller said. An autopsy is being conducted to determine his cause of death.

Barrett's diving equipment appeared to be functioning properly after being examined by investigators. "We have no reason to believe there was any malfunction on the part of the equipment," Geller said.

The equipment is being sent to an independent lab for further testing, she added.

Smith said Barrett had dived at that same location and at a similar depth on other occasions.

The trooper was physically active and appeared to be in good health, Smith added. He participated in an off-duty, indoor soccer team and had started training to run a marathon, Smith said.

"I noticed a marked improvement in his physical abilities," Smith said. "He started to seriously consider his diet and his general good health."

Smith joined the force three years ago, at age 38, after a career with Bliley Funeral Homes. He held an associate degree from John Tyler Community College in funeral services, Geller said.

Barrett was assigned to patrol in the Richmond/Henrico County area. His survivors include a wife, a 16-year-old daughter and a 6-year-old son.

"He was a good trooper, a very devoted father," Smith said. "Mark was the type of guy if you had a special assignment you needed to get done, he would do the assignment. He would do exactly what you asked him, and he would do the job well."

A visitation is scheduled for Thursday from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Church of the Epiphany at 11000 Smoketree Drive in Chesterfield County. A funeral will be held Friday at 10 a.m. at the same location.

My friend indicated that other than this newspaper article there wasn't much else out there to report.

In the "olden days" (20 years ago) before rescue squads and state police had their own dive teams, a handful of us local divers provided all the body recoveries for drownings in the area. We had no special equipment or training--we just would go in the water and do circular sweeps in lakes or straight line searches in the rivers until we would find the body, and we always came back what we were looking for. Then the rescue squads and state troopers all started their own recovery teams, so our services were no longer needed--which didn't break my heart at all. And we were slightly in awe of those divers due to the equipment and training they received, so it is a bit surprising to hear of them losing one of their own. I guess it shows that regardless of the equipment or training we are all mere mortals that have not evolved to live underwater.

Thanks for the update to the story. Thoughts and prayers to the family and co-workers. It just goes to show that we never know when our time is up. Thanks to all of the psd out there.

The local paper reported that his equipment was being taken to an independent lab to make sure it was in working order. It also reported that the first 2 calls went unanswered by the vol. EMS and it was the career that responded after 22 min.

Desi

The man was awfully young to have heart disease. Above ground it might not have been fatal and unfortunate that it would be ruled a drowning. Does anyone know of the mans physical condition, i.e., height and weight. Reports said he was in training for a marathon, but did not say if it was his first and just speculating maybe a goal to get in better shape.

I have not heard anything like what you are asking. I live by the lake. What I can tell you is that that part of the lake is where dike 3 is, the exchange of the water for the warm and cool side of the lake come together. Current can be/is strong at that location. The lake is here for the nuclear power plant as the cooling pond. Over where they were training is where a quarry used to be, but was flooded when the lake was created. I was just told by one of the local sheriffs that there has been several drownings over on that part of the lake. It is one of the more remote areas of the lake.
Like you, I am asking many questions. But that is my nature. While in college I took a forensic class and one of our "field trips" involved going to the Baltimore City Morgue. Spent the day there watching autopsies, decomp room and such. It was kind of a life changing class. Saw everything from your drug OD, suicide, kids and car accidents.

As I am very new to scuba and want to make sure that what I am doing is correct and safe, as it is not only me but my 12 yr old daughter taking classes together. We finish up this weekend.

As news travels around here, if I hear any more about this I will update.

Back
Top Bottom