FISH ID Help (silversides sp?) Please - San Juan, PR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeeWorld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Friends,
Today's puzzle involves the 'silversides' complex (I think!). Four individuals are photographed below: #1, #2a/2b, #3 & #4. I have guesses ... but am looking for more opinions. My best guesses:
#1 ~ Hardhead Silverside (Atherinomorus stipes)
#2 & #3 ~ Reef Silverside (Hypoatherina harringtonensis)
#4 ~ some type of cardinalfish sp?

* San Juan, PR
* Night swim
* 6ft depth
* fish length ~ 2"-3"
* similar (same?) fish were abundantly dispersed throughout the area

Please let me know what species you think fish #1, #2, #3 & #4 are and why you think so.

Thanks for your time and effort! - Best Fishes, T

IMG_5587.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

IMG_5578.JPG

IMG_5600.JPG

Last edited:
1-3 I think are all the same fish. I believe they are all Hardhead silversides, because the lateral line is not too thick, the head is blunt and wider than the body (pic 2 shows this well) and they are all showing the dusky caudal fin tips that hardheads display at nightfall.

4- because of the transparency of the body and the dark tail base bar I think these guys may be Dusky cardinals.

I don't know. The dorsal fins don't look right for silversides. Look more like some kind of herring. The #4 are maybe dusky cardinalfish based on the depth and the presence of the indistinct blotch/bar on the peduncle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom