Opinion - Backplate/Wing rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msudiver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got to dive a DSS Backplate/Wing set-up this past Saturday and loved the feel, set-up, etc. I have permission from the Family Finance Committee to use some scuba credits to get a new rig. I'm still a newbie at this sport (I just logged dive #38 since my cert in January), so I thought I would solicit some advice from the group on backplate/wing set-ups.

I enjoyed the feel of the DSS set-up, but I found a screaming good deal on a substantially similar OMS Backplate/Wing set-up (HOG harness, SS Backplate, 32lb wing).

So, does anyone have thoughts on OMS systems? DSS systems? Other systems I should consider (Halcyon, Golem Gear, Dive Rite, Oxycheq, HOG, etc.) and why?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:D

Thanks!

Jim

The plate itself is pretty much all the same, the wing qualities are pretty much all the same, the harnesses well, good luck telling a difference. *from the mentioned manufacturers*

You'll find that people are loyal to certain brands for no real reason other than that's what they dive, that's what their instructors dive, etc etc.
I use DiveRite and DSS, one of my instructors uses OMS, the other uses Halcyon, buddies dive Oxycheq, another uses HOG. Have everyone except Golem covered in my "usual" group of buddies. I'm a diving *****, so I have lots of "buddies" outside of my diving family, but you get the picture.
OMS makes great wings, customer service is junk, but their products are high quality.

Backplate and Wings - Backplate and Wing Packages -- Save Big!!!! - Northeast Scuba Supply
some great deals there. John is primarily DiveRite and DSS
cave adventurers usually has some good ones though.

Make sure you get a singles wing, the doubles wings will be quite bad for single tanks

I Dive the Halcyon Eclipse as does my G/F and several Buddies all love it. 2 People I have dived with had the Hollis Systems and Love it, 2 others have the Diverte Transpac and love it. So I guess it really comes down to personal prefrence. The one thing I have heard from several people and I am not saying it's true is that Halcyon Makes better wings. As or the Plate there very slight minor differences as the slot's and bends. As for webbing I dont think there is any difference except size. One thing About Halcyon is their customer service is awesome. If you ever have a problem call them and they fix it.

Brand new with FREE SHIPPING!
Backplates & Harnesses by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

I am partial to the Oxycheq Mach V wing for singles. The plate doesn't really matter, but I use a Dive Rite AL plate for doubles and a SS Freedom Plate for singles. "H" branded stuff is typically pretty nice...and expensive. 90% of the time though the quality is top notch.

Customer service means a lot to me. I have gotten fabulous customer service from DSS, and the friends I have referred to Tobin have, as well. My last experience was buying a USED wing from a SB member, and having Tobin write to me and ask me to send it to him, because he had a concern about a flaw that the seller mentioned. I told him I'd do it if he'd agree to charge me precisely what he would charge any other customer for the same service (I did that because we have become friends over time). He agreed, and I got the wing back (or another wing, I'm not sure, but one without the flaw) and there was no charge at all.

Granted, this kind of equipment doesn't have problems very often. But when it does, you want somebody to stand behind their stuff and do it quickly, and Tobin does that.

I don't think you can go wrong with DSS Halcyon Oxycheq or DiveRite as far as customer service. HOG has got some killer C/S department staff as well... We use Halcyon Eclipses daily in the pool and those wings are built like bloody tanks. The new XT wings from DiveRite are even heavier duty though. DSS wings are second to none as well. A lot of this is how much you're willing to spend. No one is going to criticize you for one brand over another though

These backplates & wings are more or less similar in quality. There are minor cosmetic differences that may change the operation just a hair. For example, some wings have some plastic/rubber nubs built in so that the single-tank can rest in thus forgo the use of single tank adapter (STA). Which sounds swell except that single tank adapters usually add a few needed extra pounds.

I choose my BCs (Dive Rite and Halcyon) based on customer service and support. Dive Rite staff are hard core divers and they know their gears inside and out. If you don't think that you've rigged your gear up correctly or your gear is not doing something right, then a phone call is all it takes for them to explain a solution to you. I have yet to avail myself to Halcyon's customer service but their reputation is without debt beyond reproach.

All other things being equal - I'd recommend DSS.... primarily because Tobin is active here on the forum and really does care about personalised customer service.

I'm with Andy on this one. I use a Nomad primarily, so was rather limited, but Tobin is the man, and his products are awesome.

I own a full OMS set and another OMS BP & harness as others have mentioned it is quality gear no dispute. I also have a Oxycheq Mark V wing that IMHO is one of the best singles wings available.
As for Tobin and DSS let's just say not my personal choice but you'll find a number of very vocal SB member that endorse him and DSS.
As for customer service if you get quality gear to begin with you may never need it and there are other mainstream manufacturers who's product and customer service are quite highly regarded.

Back
Top Bottom