Opinions on buying new vs. used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have actual data to confirm this or is it wishful thinking? Most experienced divers I know eschew used gear in favor of new. Anecdotal evidence should never be confused as "fact".

Well, he said "in fact". so it must be true. LOL

PM me, i'll set you up with rock bottom new or used gear. I've got to replace last year's rental gear too. It looks brand new.

Everything has a computer

Do you have actual data to confirm this or is it wishful thinking? Most experienced divers I know eschew used gear in favor of new. Anecdotal evidence should never be confused as "fact".

No, no actual data, but definitely lots of personal observation. And it's not "wishful thinking", why would I care what other divers buy? (as long as I'm not selling anything!) All I said was more experienced divers are almost certainly (which basically means probably, as I'm sure you know) more likely to buy used gear than newbies that lack the experience to evaluate new gear. We could argue back and forth about what's "more likely" but it doesn't really matter. My use of the words "in fact" was an idiom, for emphasis. I'm sure you realize that.

The point that I wanted to make was that there is no connection between "commitment to diving" and buying new vs used gear. That one you would need to establish through some sort of evidence.

BTW, thanks again for helping me change my username. I edited my signature to show that my old name was Mattboy, but it doesn't appear in my old posts. Do signature edits only appear in subsequent posts? This is my first post as halocline, so I'll see if it appears in this one.

No, no actual data,
Confession is good for the soul! :D

Here's the booge in my eyes: Commitment to the sport implies spending money. All my evidence is anecdotal gathered from the hundreds (thousands?) of divers I have come in contact with on ScubaBoard.

New gear is
  • Way easier to find
  • Does not need to be vetted for functionality
  • Under warranty
  • Usually not that much more expensive than new
  • Almost a Slam Dunk that it will perform to your expectations
  • Precisely what you want (not just close)

Other than saving a few pennies, why would you want to take a chance and settle for something only close to what you wanted?
BTW, thanks again for helping me change my username. I edited my signature to show that my old name was Mattboy, but it doesn't appear in my old posts. Do signature edits only appear in subsequent posts? This is my first post as halocline, so I'll see if it appears in this one.
My pleasure. If you just turned on your signature, it won't appear on any of your previous posts. However, once used, they will all change when you edit them.

So I wrapped up my certification this weekend, it was an absolute blast! I can't believe I waited this long... I was able to dive in Devil's Den (underground spring) and in the Gulf off of Sarasota, FL for OW. Now I'm looking to begin collecting the equipment I need (ie: BC, reg, gauges/computer, etc).

What is your opinion on purchasing used equipment such as primary reg, bc, computer/gauges?

I've found a $300 new-in-box Atomic B2 reg that I'm probably going to pick up, however, I'm still on the fence to whether I should invest in all new equipment or previously owned?

Thoughts?

Used = NO WARRANTY
New = WARRANTY
Purchasing Online = NO WARRANTY
Advice = Go to your LDS (Local Dive Shop) and support them - they will take care of you

Used = NO WARRANTY
Basically true in the USA. Not true in many EU countries where consumer protection law require transferable warranties. (That, BTW, is how Leisurepro gets mfgr to provide LP warranty coverage on gray market gear.)

New = WARRANTY
Still may depend on where you bought it and what you have to do to find a dealer or service center to honor it.

Purchasing Online = NO WARRANTY
Only with the minority of USA dealers (unfortunately, the larger ones) who still have such restrictions. There is plenty of excellent scuba gear that can be purchased online and comes with the manufacturer's warranty.

Advice = Go to your LDS (Local Dive Shop) and support them - they will take care of you
Shop around and find the best deal that meets your need.

....What is your opinion on purchasing used equipment such as primary reg, bc, computer/gauges?

....I'm still on the fence to whether I should invest in all new equipment or previously owned?

Thoughts?

You've gotten a variety of answers, but one more can't hurt :wink:

1.) In general, dive equipment is VERY durable, and will last an entire dive career (or two) if cared for properly.

2.) Also as a general statement, dive equipment does NOT have good resale value, so huge savings are often possible buying used gear.

While the two statements above are true, it is also generally true that brand new divers may not know what to look for, or what they are looking at when considering used (and new!) dive gear.

For any new diver considering used gear: Do your homework. Was that a top quality piece of gear when new, or just "average"? Does it fit your needs (and if appropriate, does it fit you)? Can it still be serviced (where, and how much will it cost)?

It really helps to have a mentor (for both new and used gear). Most of us have ended up buying a lot of stuff that wasn't exactly what we needed, and then ended up buying twice :depressed:

Ideally, a good instructor/shop will steer you towards the right gear for the type of diving you want to do, and many do. However, like any business, they will often just recommend what they have in stock, or what provides the best profit margin at the time of sale.... and this may or may not be what is best for you.

I've had good luck buying a mix of new and used equipment, both from my local dive shop, and online from various sources (including ebay!). The best "used" purchases have been small items (knives), and carefully selected high end items (regulators). I did know exactly what I wanted and what the items were worth, and in the case of the regulators, I service my own.

Have fun with whatever you decide... that is really all that matters!

Best wishes.

Confession is good for the soul! :D

Here's the booge in my eyes: Commitment to the sport implies spending money. All my evidence is anecdotal gathered from the hundreds (thousands?) of divers I have come in contact with on ScubaBoard.

New gear is
  • Way easier to find
    [*]Does not need to be vetted for functionality
  • Under warranty
  • Usually not that much more expensive than new
  • Almost a Slam Dunk that it will perform to your expectations
  • Precisely what you want (not just close)

Other than saving a few pennies, why would you want to take a chance and settle for something only close to what you wanted?
My pleasure. If you just turned on your signature, it won't appear on any of your previous posts. However, once used, they will all change when you edit them.

I have to disagree with you to some extent on this one Pete. I never trust new gear (or unknown used gear which is "new" to me) until it's been tested with some actual controlled diving. After it's been tested then it is no longer "new" gear. I have little reservations taking any of my well used regs on pretty much any dive with little more than a tank check. A new piece of equipment is going to get a good shakedown ( making it used if you will) before it gets put into trusted service. Same goes for a freshly service reg.

USED:
BC – still using
Regulator – still using
Dive bag – still using
Knife – still using
2 tanks – still using one, sold the other
Fins – not using
Gloves – not using
Booties – not using
Hood - not using

NEW:
2 tanks – still using
Computer – still using
Wetsuit – still using
Booties – still using
Gloves – still using
Fins – still using
Hood – still using
Mask - still using

I bought a lot of used gear at first, most of it worked out, some of it didn't, but none of it was much of a risk monetarily. I was fortunate to have a couple of mentors who advised me and checked things out. I learned a lot and consequently my new purchases have all worked out well.

I remember watching students in my OW class buying entire sets of new gear before they had gotten wet in the pool. I rented 100% of my gear until I had my OW certification.

If I was rich, I'm sure I would have a different outlook.

I buy both new and used gears. It all depends on what the gear is and whether or not it is what I want.

Chances of me buying a BPW used is slim to none. I don't want ragged out wings or bladders. I don't want ragged out harnesses.

Chances of me buying a regulator used is better, but only if I can get the model that I want from a respectable place. I just bought a shop-refurbished Atomic M1 reg. It's pure luck that this shop had M1s for rent and now phasing them out for new regulators (new M1s).

I seriously doubt that I would buy a used computer unless I know that person who sells the computer well. One leak is probably all it takes to ruin a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom