Married folks - wedding question

What are your feeling on your wedding

• I did a smaller island destination wedding and now wish I had did a traditional wedding at home

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS That was 14 years ago and she is still putting up with me... :D

lee

well, since we have only been married for about 24 hours now, i'll throw my hat in the ring. It was just to much hassel to get everyone together from all over, so we just finally said sorry(been trying for over a year) and we couldn't be happier. There is a surprise reception when we get home but moms let the cat out of the bag. All the money we saved by not going big went to the honeymoon.

well, since we have only been married for about 24 hours now, i'll throw my hat in the ring. It was just to much hassel to get everyone together from all over, so we just finally said sorry(been trying for over a year) and we couldn't be happier. There is a surprise reception when we get home but moms let the cat out of the bag. All the money we saved by not going big went to the honeymoon.

Smart move... and I trust your honeymoon is going quite well!

lee

When Sue and I got married, we didn't take any of your options...

I took her to England, rented a Porsche 911 convertible and spent two weeks making a loop around the southern part of the Kingdom. We stayed at Amberley Castle, Caverswall Castle, and Thornbury Castle. We exchanged vows on the battlements at Amberley.

Weddings are for the family. Honeymoons are for the couple. We decided to make it all about us.

whatever you choose to do you will upset someone, you just have to decide who you love enough not to upset (for example your parents).

whatever you do remember this mindset. half the people will enjoy it & the other half will enjoy moaning about it!

My wife and I got married in a traditional ceremony 30 years ago, when it was the norm. I wouldn't change that because that's what my future bride wanted. One benefit to a large Cajun wedding is that we have a "money dance" at the reception. People line up for a short dance with the bride and groom, and pin money on them before dancing. The money dance paid for half of our honeymoon. That's s Godsend when you are 21 years old.

Do other cultures have a money dance tradition?

....Weddings are for the family. Honeymoons are for the couple. We decided to make it all about us.

x 1000 +++

My wife and I had a really small inmediate family ceremony and a lunch, then went on a small honeymoon because we didn't have a cent to our name.

Now 10 years later, If we had to do it again we wouldn't even have the small ceremony, just do the honeymoon. Spend your money on yourselves, and enjoy it to the fullest. Avoid the stress of a wedding day where everything must be coordinated for others and needs to look great in the videos and pictures.

Here's my two cents; We got married on the Queen Mary, had 200 people, saved money everywhere we could, took our time with the planning, and got it right!

Remember, it's your wedding, not your mother's, your aunt's, or your friend's. Make sure it's what YOU want. Do not let anyone talk you into something you don't want to do. It's not "My Friend's got Talent"; unless you really want it, no poetry readings, flute solos, or anything like that. We picked every piece of music, and gave the DJ a list of what NOT to play. This is important, our dance floor was full till they closed us down, and there was even an after party.

The two most important expenses are the DJ and photographer. We saved everywhere else, but paid top dollar for them.

We wrote our own vows, (diving was mentioned in hers), kept the ceremony as short as possible, and had a long, rocking reception.

There are a ton of ways to save, we bought our wine at the BevMo five cent sale, (buy a bottle, get the second for five cents, even with the corkage fee, we saved ten dollars a bottle). I designed wine labels, invitations, and table numbers, my wife did place cards, programs, center pieces, and decorations, and we found a discount florist who's stuff was beautiful. We shopped for bakeries, and found a great one, and the cakes were both excellent.

IF you can take your time, you can pull off a huge wedding for an amazing price. We had enough to go on a great Hawaiian honeymoon.

Our's was a medium sized wedding, about 150 attended. I was 35 and my bride was 26, it was a family reunion, with more than half the guests coming in from all over the country, and a few from overseas. We would not change a thing. The photo's and video(which my daughter wore out a copy already) are priceless, the memories, even more so! My wife wore her Grandmothers wedding dress, which was also worn by her mother, and will hopefully be worn by my daughter if she chooses. Big Bash reception! We danced the night away, with each other and our family!
.....then it was my turn to make decisions.....Jamaica for 2 weeks at Sandals Royal Caribbean!

PS.....we picked up the tab for the wedding ourselves, so we would never hear about how her/my parents paid for something.
We'll never renew our vow's though, ONCE was enough.....:cool2:

Greetings silvernotch and congratulations on your wedding plans!
My wife and I did the traditional wedding with a small reception that was simple yet very nice. It was not that expensive but we had a blast and it was one of the greatest days of my life! When I look back on it I would change nothing!

The key to a great wedding is that you both can relax and enjoy the moments!
I have never been so happy in all my life, I could not quit smiling.:)
Plan your wedding to be very personal and include your family and friends.
At the end of the day it is up to you. Just do not become trapped into the bigger is better syndrome. The stress that goes with the big ones it intense and not for everyone.

Enjoy this time and it will be just fine. Relax and live the moments they will last a lifetime!

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom