LOB passenger killed by exploding cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Presumably there would be both the precaution that the compressor would have a shut-off when the cylinder reaches a maximum pressure, and the cylinder itself would have a feature such as a burst disk. But if the condition of the metal in the cylinder was such that it lost integrity at a lower pressure than the shut-off or burst disk were set for, it could explode at some other point of the cylinder that had been weakened for some reason such as corrosion. For the answers to whether these safety precautions were in place as well as to the condition of the cylinder, we will have to wait for the result of the investigation, I'm guessing.

You can make safety rules and regulations all day long but getting people to go by them, especially when they are determining their bottom line, is another issue altogether. Ignorance, stupidity and disregard for other's lives comes in there somewhere also.

I thought about this yesterday as I was filling tanks for the weekend.......

Take care!

Actually, I think this is the best result of reports in the A&I forum--raising awareness of (and reminding us to pay more attention to) ways of preventing mishaps. I think very few of us consistently check inspection stickers/dates on cylinders we're using unless we own them ourselves.

Take care!

Actually, I think this is the best result of reports in the A&I forum--raising awareness of (and reminding us to pay more attention to) ways of preventing mishaps. I think very few of us consistently check inspection stickers/dates on cylinders we're using unless we own them ourselves.

Thanks. I actually am one of the ones who do all inspections and maintain the compressor and bank cylinders. And yet I still looked everything over. We do all of our tanks every March. I put all stickers on, myself. We just finished hydo'ing all tanks this March too. I always check rental tanks. I'm obsessive about that.
But looking at my big set of 8 bank tanks yesterday filled to 4500............I remembered this thread.

I thought about this yesterday as I was filling tanks for the weekend.......

:cool2:

Just a few things, ZenDiver....
1 - I'm pretty sure you sent your husband to fill tanks this weekend - and isn't he currently accepting sympathy for hurting his back doing it ...???
2 - Check the hydro date - I believe the filling bank tanks were done in 2008 - and look at the state of them! Aren't they beautiful and shiny??!
3 - The biggest worry would be the big O2 tanks we have delivered by Kuwait oxygen Company for blending - or they would be if my husband wasn't so particular about sending the rusty ones back!

x x x
love ya!

Hmmm, all very interesting posts, my condolences to the divers family and friends.

Stories like these make me feel like I'm right to be more scared of the compressor room than the deep diving I regularly do. Perhaps it's simply fear of the unknown and it's time for some equipment classes. I've always stayed away from becoming an equipment technician - all the guys I know that have those skills are chained to work benches and rarely get to go diving.

Back
Top Bottom