Do you really need a log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log my dives even if my friends do not.

I do it in good practice and for reference in the future regardless if anyone will ever see it or not. Plus it is good to practice my dive tables over and over. You never know when you will have to teach an another diver who has forgotten. Imagine having 500 dives and a new diver ask you how to do one and you can not remember. Potential risk.

Clearly the industry has a huge bias against those that don't log dives. This blog being no exception, ''# of logged dives" your bio asks. Rather, it should ask, "How many dives have you done?" Isn’t that what you really want to know? Personally, I think keeping a log of dives is as useless as keeping a personal diary. If you found a new dive site or an awesome lobster hole, go ahead and take some mental notes and document it in your computer, etc. If someone wants to, that's ok. Perhaps someone is dealing with a medical issue that necessitates keeping a dive log, etc. Otherwise, it’s just for fun.

Clearly the industry has a huge bias against those that don't log dives. This blog being no exception, ''# of logged dives" your bio asks. Rather, it should ask, "How many dives have you done?" Isn’t that what you really want to know? Personally, I think keeping a log of dives is as useless as keeping a personal diary. If you found a new dive site or an awesome lobster hole, go ahead and take some mental notes and document it in your computer, etc. If someone wants to, that's ok. Perhaps someone is dealing with a medical issue that necessitates keeping a dive log, etc. Otherwise, it’s just for fun.

Well there is an open minded point of view.

So how do you suggest the "industry" should approach this issue. Let's say you want to take a particular tech course. The "industry" has decided to require X number of dives for this course, you show up and say: "yep I have done X dives".
Does that sound reasonable to you?

I don't log my dives, and I don't give a rat's behind for what people in this board think of my experience but I no longer expect anything from the dive industry, just need to keep my tanks filled and some spare parts for my gear once in a while.

If I want additional certifications, training and generally play within the industry I have to follow their rules, keeping a log is actually one of their more reasonable rules.

Fortunately we can still grab our gear and get in the water without having to even talk to anyone, much less show proof of anything. You just have to find your own way to free water, hopefully there will be free water for many years to come.

Hasn't this been beaten to death yet?

If you're going for a tech course or becoming an instructor you "may" need a log. If the instructor teaching the course knows you and is familiar with your experience then, even then you may not need one.

Great for keeping track of gear. But once again, if your config doesn't change much, and you use minimal weight, probably not needed.

I think White night and a few others hit it dead on. Log significant dives. Whether it's someplace you found that you want to return to, a milestone, a once in a lifetime location (I may log a few if I ever make it out to Chukk), or just anything memorable. Otherwise it really is just personal preference.

I think keeping a log of dives is as useless as keeping a personal diary.

So sorry I offended you by comparing my log book to a diary. I was just sharing my personal viewpoint...didn't say YOU Had to do it.

Do I need a log? Yes.
Do you need a log? No.

I log all my dives. location, gear, weights,time in time out, vis, air temp ,water temp ,start and finish on air tank and i always write a comment about my dive. It s nice to be able to look back in your log book from time to time to see all the places you have dove and what gear you were using also who you were diving with.

I got certified in 1983 and made quite a few dives over the next 10 years. Unfortunately I didn't log most of them and those that I did log have been lost. I regret that now. I would like to know how many dives I've made and have a record of when, where, with whom and so on. I find it interesting to look back over these sorts of things from time to time. It is also a great place to write down email addresses and phone numbers of folks met on my journeys.

Now that my wife and kids have gotten certified, I've started to log my dives carefully. I have found that doing it on a word processor is very easy and quick. It is also easy to back up as well (thumb drive). I can also use the same log entries this way for my wife and kids logs. Knowing them as I do, I know they are too lazy to do it themselves; however I will get their input on the "narrative" section. I hope that one day they will thank me for doing this for them. I can log a dive in a minute or so if I want, or flesh it out with much more detail if desired. I tried to cut and paste my template into this message, but the formatting won't display the table.

Love to review my log on cold winter's evenings. Remind myself which sites I want to repeat in Bonaire next time. Remind myself now many lbs to wear off Hatteras with a steel 100. Remind myself things learned and good times had.

Back
Top Bottom