Exploding scuba tank kills two tourists (sep 24, 2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen pictures of most of the tanks above before.

I'm thinking that at least one of them was 6351T alloy and issues with SLC.

The one in the bottom of the boat was stored in the bildge I think. Which the lowest part of the inside of the boat, collect water and in the ocean that's saltwater, which everyone knows just promotes corrosion.

The yellow tank is prob a steel 72. It's so rust that you'd need a tetnus shot to do a visual on it.

Looks like some kind of storage/bank cylinder to me (look at those 55 gal. drums behind for size perspective).

thanks... that does put it in much better perspective.

storage bank bottle makes much better sense of the tank neck. :thumb:

mike_s I guess (by your comment) you are suggesting that it's obvious that the steel tank is rusty and therefore unsafe and obvious that you shouldn't store tanks in the bildge?

I'm also guessing (by the photos) that somebody did not think it was a problem.

My point is how are you going to know if your dive operator has one of these ticking bombs in the bottom of the boat? These areas are usually off limits to guests.

I highly doubt your dive operator has tanks stored in the bidlge of their boat. I mean have you ever seen a dive operator opening deck plates on the boat and handing up tanks for customers to use?

The boat you see above isn't a dive operator boat. It's a ship board rescue boat. (You can even see it's hanging on a ship). It was most likely hanging when it blew and not in the water. I'm betting that they kept a scuba tank in it for clearing lines from props and just never gave it enough care to take it out.

as for steel tanks and rust, a little rust won't hurt it much, but if you let it continue it lessens the integrity of the cylinder. remember that some bank cylinders are 4500-5000psi cylinders.

The last storage bank cylinder that I know exploded was at Panama City Dive Center last summer. It was a big 16 long horizontal mounted storage tank. When it blew it had enough power to blow off part of the building wall and the side of the roof. To say it was rusty was an understatement. (from the pictures I saw)

The beginning and End to this discussion starts off with "CHINA"
"Aluminum," Materal bought and used to make "SCUBA TANKS" in the U.S.A. comes from CHINA in BAR STOCK.. Then it is cut on a saw here and extruded in a press.Then necked in another press.Then machined ...in a CNC. Then the tests take place as for all SPC...
There is no real task force, unless now that there is an issue with tanks exploding.
You can not check a whole length of 12ft. bar stock. If there is an imperfection in the materal from CHINA...The problem is only then adressed at that time of finding a visual on that tank...Yepper Take off the Management hat all you so called engineers,an put down the coffee & donuts, and get back to Basics with your job of being an Engineer,but not book taught...Work out in the shop like I did for 26 years...Get your hands dirty.......
Catalina Cylinders,20+ years ago bought from China...Ask them?If you don't believe me. they are in Hampton Virginia,They bought out Parker Hannifin Cliff Div.Eastlake ,Ohio
Yes Parker Hannifin started this scuba tank,then Catalina bought us out screwed the employees,then left for Hampton Virginia....thats the trouble with loyalty in this day and age....where dose it get the little man?....26 years and your out the door....!!! USA...needs to be like Germany.....

Last edited:
Lack of proper communication between different levels of Management, & basic concepts and methods in ethics,& moral concepts,and theories,and not to forget Engineering design,Can help prevent future problems with Scuba Tanks....

Wake up USA.....We have been buying Aluminum from China for yearssssssssss.
The price is competitive...China beats it to the lowest...
Ask any large company where they buy their materal.

I'am done.....

Last edited:
The beginning and End to this discussion starts off with "CHINA"
Materal bought and used to make "SCUBA TANKS" in the U.S.A. comes from CHINA in BAR STOCK..

Are you referring to aluminum or steel?

do you have any reference links to show that Luxfer, Catalina, Worthington, Faber or others are buying their metals from China? (first I've heard of this).

Regardless, most of these tanks that have exploded are 20+ year old tanks that are either steel rusted out or Aluminum 6351T alloys. I doubt the North American tank manufacturers were importing their metallic stock material from China 20+ years ago when these tanks in question were made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom