Wing dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the process of putting together a BP/W set-up. I somehow ended up with more than I need. I have a brand new Oxycheq Mach V Extreme (40lb) and a Halycon Eclipse (40)that is barely used. Wife says I can keep one, but the other needs to go. Something about paying other bills, :idk:

Which one do I keep? I know people have their favorite brands, but why is it better? I know both are well made and a quality wing. One thing that may sway my decision is the worth of each. Is one worth more than the other? I'm not trying to start a H vs Oxy war so behave. :argue:
Thanks for your advice.

PS. Since I need to sell one or the other, if you want to make an offer, feel free as well.:scubadive:

Since it's used gear now, why don't you dive both and see which one you like?

TSandM:

Dont you dive DSS BP/W's? I'd like to see somebody compare DSS with other brands...as I plan on getting a DSS setup in the next month or so.

I have used the Halcyon Eclipse for 2 year 50 dives, and an Oxycheq only once. Between the two, I like the Halcyon better. It has a faster and more responsive inflater with a thicker tube. Fell better in the hand. Just an opinion from a newbie.:D

Actually my wife has a DSS rig. We haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it looks like a great rig. That's my problem, they all look so pretty...:blinking:
Wife says one has to go, and I won't really have a chance to try them out before I sell. I know, what a whiner. Idaho is not necessarily known for its diving, and since school has started time is a premium that I just don't have a lot of.

I guess there is always a coin toss

One advantage to the Oxycheq is the built in "roll control" and slots for cam bands. With the Halcyon wing, you will have to use an STA, but with the Oxycheq you just need to thread the bands through your plate and go. It is the one thing I don't like about my Halcyon wing.

I think the value of each is about the same, with the possible exception that you say the Oxycheq is new might give it a bit more value in the open market.

One more point to consider. With the Halcyon Single Tank Adapter, you add an addition of 2-3 pounds of weight to your back. I am 5'8", 140 lbs in 3mm wetsuit. I do not need any additional weights. No weight belt. So Free :D

One more point to consider. With the Halcyon Single Tank Adapter, you add an addition of 2-3 pounds of weight to your back. I am 5'8", 140 lbs in 3mm wetsuit. I do not need any additional weights. No weight belt. So Free :D

Actually, the unweighted Halcyon STA weighs less than 1 lb (14.x oz for mine). Its buoyancy underwater will be just a tad less, or in other words, fairly negligible.

If you add the weight block to the STA, the entire assembly is just a hair under 6 lb.

I'm 5'10, 140. With a good 3mm wetsuit and AL80, a steel backplate and weighted STA lets me dive without a weight belt, which is indeed awesome :)

I do dive DSS and also have a Deep Outdoors wing. I like both of them a lot. I LOVE Tobin's customer service, which is one of the reasons we buy DSS. My husband also really likes the weight plates.

There are differences between Halcyon and Oxycheq -- for one thing, Halcyon uses a flow-limiting wing inflator valve, which I don't like at all. I understand the theory behind it, but I'm not used to using one like that, and I don't get enough gas in the wing and end up with buoyancy issues. I'd almost certainly get used to it, if I owned one, though.

I do dive DSS and also have a Deep Outdoors wing. I like both of them a lot. I LOVE Tobin's customer service, which is one of the reasons we buy DSS. My husband also really likes the weight plates.

There are differences between Halcyon and Oxycheq -- for one thing, Halcyon uses a flow-limiting wing inflator valve, which I don't like at all. I understand the theory behind it, but I'm not used to using one like that, and I don't get enough gas in the wing and end up with buoyancy issues. I'd almost certainly get used to it, if I owned one, though.

Does flow limiting mean slower filling and emptying? What is the theory on that? I am used to air on demand. Could be the deal breaker...

Back
Top Bottom