Snorkel Mask Fogging - have tried methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

Before you tell me this has already been discussed, my situation seems to be different.

I have just bought a new mask and have found that it constantly fogs up (in the right lens only) despite trying the different preparation and cleaning methods

I read up about removing the coating on the lens using toothpaste, shampoo, soap etc.... and every article I read swore by toothpaste working 100% - but not for me! :(

Now I have tried both toothpaste and liquid soap on the lenses but the right lens only keeps fogging up.

I have applied (toothpaste, soap, spit...), rubbed and rinsed multiple times. I then deliberately breath on the mask and again the right lens only fogs up completely.

Why is this not working - what should I do to remove this stubborn coating and fogging.

Thanks Heaps!

Are you using regular (not gel) toothpaste? You should.

Put a pea-sized bit in the lens and then rub around with your thumb and just enough water to moistening it. You're looking for a bit of abrasive polishing. After your thumb is nearly raw from rubbing, rinse out and try again.

If the toothpaste doesn't work, you could try SoftScrub. That has a higher level of abrasive grit.

Good luck and let us know you it's working for you.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes my finger is raw and I have been using regular toothpaste. I have repeated multiple times for extended periods of time. I guess I will need to try something stronger and more abrasive.

Does the entire right lens fog up, or just a portion of it.
If its the latter I may have a thought. Your face may be uneven, or you may just be placing your mask on unevenly without knowing it. If you get a mask squeeze and your eye is really close to the glass, it may cause fogging.
It happens to me with sunglasses given the right conditions.

It's the only thing I can think of, as silly as it may sound.

If you use Soft scrub I would recommend soaking your mask in water after cleaning it. I cleaned my slate in the sink once with soft scrub. A few days later i dropped my contact in the sink, rinsed it w/ solution, then placed it in my eye. There must have been some left over bleach residue b/c it started to burn slightly.
Don't wanna dive with bleach near your eye. X_O

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It is the whole of the right lens fogging up. Just to clarrify - after scrubbing I have deliberately breathed on it to test it and the left lens is perfectly clear while the right lens is completely fogged. So it isn't just when I put the mask on my face which indicates it is the actual lens surface, not shape of face / mask.

That's a good test. I fact I suggest running your oldest tap water on it first to encourage condensation while testing. If it's clean it won't fog. In today's market I have no idea what is regular (abrasive) toothpaste and what is not. I use Soft Scrub bathroom cleaner and have had good results on plain and script masks.

A method I hear of repeatedly but have never needed to try is to flame the lens with a lighter. The flame supposedly burns of residue not cut by the abrasive method.

Finally I have seen some that are hopeless foggers in spite of being sent back to the (Atomic) factory for corrective action. If one of your lenses is persistently fogging after cleaning above and beyond what the opposite side needed you may have such a beast. :(

Pete

Take a Bic lighter to it. Carefully move the flame around until a black soot appears. Clean with soap & water. Spit into mask. Rub spit. No fog.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

That's a bummer.
One more suggestion, did you clean both sides of the lens? Outside and inside?
I hope you figure it out.

You are leaving the spit inside the lens when you go to use it, correct? If you're rinsing the spit out afterwards, that is most likely your problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom