canon S90 Traveling Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruiser24

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Question for Canon S90 users. How do you carry your camera and its housing around, in flight on board the plane and onboard the boat? Do you buy a hard case (e.g Pelican case) for it? More costs :(

If you do buy a hard case, what would you recommend?

Many thanks.

Cruiser,
I pack the individual pieces (camera, strobe, batteries, etc) in my carry-on padded with clothing (bathing suit, tshirts, etc) or skins/3 mm.

Most boats either have a camera table (preferrable) or at least a large rinse bucket. I don't like to leave my setup in the rinse bucket, too easy to get damaged. If traveling and nothing is available, I would bring a towel or several towels to wrap around the setup and watch it like a hawk.

For local dive boats, you could use a plastic box (they come in all sizes at Walmart, etc) with lid, and line it with a towel. Be sure the box can fit under the seat. Personally, as I have a Pelican case, I use it when diving from local boats (ours do not have camera tables)

FF

Hey Cruiser - I just got an s90 w/ Ikelite and S&S YS01. My plan for the beach and boat dives is to pad an old laptop bag (the narrow ones you get at conferences) with a towel. The built rig fits in there, with accessories (ie extra batteries) in the front pouch. This solution is free :- )

Like FF said, I'm sure you'll be fine on a plane padding the housing with clothes and keeping the camera in a soft case in your carry-on.

edit: my solution assumes I'm not leaving the camera lying around on the deck, but keeping it safe inside where it won't get crushed by some flabbergasted cattleboat diver!

I have an inexpensive non rigid camera case with foam cut outs inside. I just cram the gear in it and stick it into my suitcase. That gives it plenty of protection. But if you want, the padded by clothes would work too.

All of this:

DSCF0007.jpg

Goes in here:

DSCF0008.jpg

N

Another option is a soft beverage cooler of a size that fits your camera gear. They are inexpensive, padded and insulated. I use one as an airline carry-on as well as on the dive boats. On the boat it protects the camera/housing from the tropical heat.

I would stay away from hard cases for carry-on purposes because some airlines only allow 7 kilos of carry-on and will weigh it. Those hard cases weigh too much. When I travel on Hawaiian Airlines back to Hawaii from Manila they weigh ALL my bags. In-country flights in the Philippines only allow 7 kilos of carry-on.

I bought my cooler at Walmart in Maui. It has a shoulder strap and a front pocket as well as a hard plastic insert in the beverage portion which helps the case keep its shape. That hard plastic insert can serve as a camera rinse tank in a pinch. when I use it for a carry-on I place sections of sponges to pad the gear.

I don't have external strobes yet, and I use a G11 with a DC34 housing. But Gilligan nailed it. I also have an insulated cooler bag that fits the housing perfectly. It is waterproof so it doubles as a dunk tank for the housing post dive. It also keeps the camera from fogging up before the dives. I usually seal the camera housing in the hotel room, for the day, and then keep it in the cooler until it's time to get wet. I carry the cooler bag with the housing in my carry-on knapsack.

Cheers

Awesome forum you guys have, I have been touring it for a while but I had to add to this one.

This is the cooler I bought at Walmart in Maui. I stenciled "FRAGILE CAMERA" on the top so as to inform boat crews. Yes, it tells everyone it's a camera but telling boat crews was more important to me than worrying about someone trying to steal it. I had the red inserts made here in Bohol by a "rubber slipper" maker to pad the hard plastic insert . The front pocket is good for misc. items.
This cooler holds my G10 in the Canon housing, my tray/arms and my Sea & Sea strobe.

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

Put my 570 in a regular small camera case & wrap a towel around the UW Canon case while traveling(ie my carryon while flying)------on the boat, put the unit in the (water)camera bucket.....

Put my 570 in a regular small camera case & wrap a towel around the UW Canon case while traveling(ie my carryon while flying)------on the boat, put the unit in the (water)camera bucket.....

I usually get to the boat early, stake out a place way up front and set a towel on the deck just behind the windscreen or if there is a camera table, the same thing. I have a small rubber mat, non slip, I carry sometimes instead of a towel. If these locations are not available to me, I hold the camera, when I gear up my wife holds it etc. It never touches the deck. I try to rinse with the freshwater hose but rarely the bucket and it NEVER stays in the bucket.

I usually enlist the help of one of the deckhands and tip him/her for the extra help. I like for them to hand me my camera and then take it back and hold it until either I or my wife take it from them, emergencies aside of course, people come first.

I am learning that my new found condition, at least for the next year duration, may be helpful in getting me "special" attention, it seems to help everywhere else. I am going to put it to use.

N

Back
Top Bottom