Latex Drysuit Seal Chafing Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trailfish

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for products I could use to prevent chafing from my latex drysuit neck seal. I recently completed my advanced open water with a relatively new Whites drysuit (coldwater ocean) and after 3 days and five dives it look like someone tried to strangle me.

I had taken the suit out a couple of weeks earlier and noticed a bit of chafing after two dives but the five dives really did a number on my neck. Otherwise the suit is great. I don't want to use anything that might prematurely shorten the life of the seal.

Any suggestions?

It's pretty common with latex. You might need a neoprene seal if the reaction is bad enough.

Latex causes me no issue, but I'm hoping the silicone neck seals come to market soon.

I used to have the same issue with a Bare drysuit rental that I was using. I fixed the issue wearing a trurtle neck under my dive wear. OR the other other option is use now on my new Pinnicle Evo 2 is a divewear that has a neck. collar. The suit seals then the collar on my dive wear keeps the extra latex off my neck and allows me to turn my head without having the extra latex rub on my neck.

I wear Cabellas polar-tec winter wear made from 100%polyester

Is it an allergic reaction chafing? Or is the seal just too tight and rubbing against you wrong?

I don't know if all allergic reactions itch, but, are you itchy?

When I first started to dive dry I was told to use powder on the inside of the seals to get the suit on easily (thus avoiding tearing or ripping a seal).

I did that for the first, oh, 4 dives, and then got lazy and now I just yank it on.

I can't make any statements about whether a specific powder is better than another. I would stick to a baby powder without chemicals, fragrance, and additives rather than a female talc powder.

You may want to try using powder to ease some of the newness of the seal and prevent the chafing from a rub.

Come to think of it, if it was an allergic reaction, your wrists would be affected also. Since you only mentioned your neck, you may want to have the seal inspected to make sure it is not too tight for your neck, which could result in a diving injury. If the fit is determined to be correct, and it was me, I would try the powder.

Some people use a anti chafe that looks like a stick of deodorant, called Body Glide. Can be had from many places including REI. I have used it with success, but now just say screw it since my neck seal fits pretty well and I only have a minor issue.

BTW welcome to the "Hang Mans Club".

Thanks for your replies.

I don't think its an alergic reaction as I don't have the same issue with my wrists or my other experiences with latex :crafty:. The seal may be a little tight (but not enough to kill me) and I may try and fine tune it (I had to already trim it a bit to keep from passing out and I also stretched the seal over a tank overnight).

I've used bodyglide for running and I may give it a try to see how it goes. Will continue with the talc powder as a general maintenance practice.

Hangmans club, Ha! Does the uniform include a turtleneck?

Thanks for your replies.

I don't think its an alergic reaction as I don't have the same issue with my wrists or my other experiences with latex :crafty:. The seal may be a little tight (but not enough to kill me) and I may try and fine tune it (I had to already trim it a bit to keep from passing out and I also stretched the seal over a tank overnight).

I've used bodyglide for running and I may give it a try to see how it goes. Will continue with the talc powder as a general maintenance practice.

Hangmans club, Ha! Does the uniform include a turtleneck?

Other options

#1 -- try to wash the inside of the seal with soap/water. I used to get the same thing in salt water but not in fresh which leads me to suspect residual salt crystals
#2 -- try bodyglide (sometimes helps)
#3 -- if you can ignore that it is for horses, "Bag Balm" is supposed to be better than bodyglide (get at your local equine center :)
#4 -- if the seal is tight, maybe cut 1/2 a ring ?
#5 -- you can consider getting a bio seal under the neck seal but this can quite quickly break down the latex

My girlfriend eventually went to a neoprene seal but they are more prone to leaking (you have to get them aligned just right) but they do last longer

I used to get that ALL the time. I ended up using a clear, breathable Nexcare sports tape (REI sells them). I'm pretty sure they don't shorten the life of the latext seal. It's around $6/box...and if you cut the tape into about 2"-3" strips, you'll get around 10 uses per box.

Amazon.com: Nexcare Active Waterproof Skin Cover, 2-Inch x 24-Inch Roll (Pack of 4): Health & Personal Care

The final solution for me, though, was getting the neoprene neck seal that Nick's talking about. I had Steve Gamble install mine. Cost me $75 + shipping...and I LOVE it. If you wear it with the Apollo Bio-Seal, you shouldn't have any leak issues...I've been dry ever since it was installed.

I had that problem once. The mark left was so bad that people stopped and stared at me for a couple of weeks... It really looked like I was garroted. Frequently using Seal Saver to keep the latex soft and pliable, plus generous application of talc, has kept me from having another bad episode.

A neoprene neck seal will help too. I used to use one and like latex better overall, but it is worth trying as it is not too expensive.

I tried a Bio-Seal and hated it. It was too hard to put on. I begrudge every minute I stand in the sun in my drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom