DIR / DIR Curious Shore Dive Event - October 9th - Final Planning / Details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^ :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Hopefully though: the cake is allowed NOT to be all black, otherwise, it won't look cool at all

But...it's chocolate! :blinking:

Since you brought it up, I guess I would like to try a BP/W. I think another post said to use about 10 lbs less weight. Does that sound right? I will try to obtain a weight belt this weekend.

As far as something to bring??? If there is enough room on the grills I could bring corn dogs. BBQ corn dogs are great!

Awesome! Let me know what you plan on bringing and if you'd like to borrow a bp/w. Glad to hear you can make it!

Since you brought it up, I guess I would like to try a BP/W. I think another post said to use about 10 lbs less weight. Does that sound right? I will try to obtain a weight belt this weekend.

I'd say that's probably the high end in difference that you can expect (assuming you are probably weighted in your current BC). 7-8# less with the BP/W might be a more reasonable starting point. While it's obviously ideal to have ones weighting dialed in exactly, if you're left guessing, probably best to be a few pounds too heavy than a few pounds too light.

I do think it's great that Bob is offering up the use of some plates. I will say, though, that there's absolutely no need for anyone to feel that they must change their gear for this event. Recognize that while it's certainly not rocket surgery, all new gear takes some getting used to. Choosing to use new-to-you gear for this event is likely to add some (likely only minor) task-loading. If you're ok with that and if you've wanted to check out a BP/W, great, give it a shot!

The Primer class Bob and Steve are running on Oct 10/11th or the GUE Demo Day on Oct 17th (neither of which is related to this Oct 9th event!) would probably be ideal places to check out and really experiment with new gear.

That is actually what I was leaning towards. I called Steve today and reserved a spot on the 17th for the demo day. So worst case I can try one then in more controlled conditions.

The Primer class Bob and Steve are running on Oct 10/11th or the GUE Demo Day on Oct 17th (neither of which is related to this Oct 9th event!) would probably be ideal places to check out and really experiment with new gear.

Like Rainer mentioned, if you're hesitant to try out a bp/w in open water, there are other opportunities to give it a shot (a class, a demo day, etc).

It's not really that different from a traditional BC (assuming you have a back-up second stage, rather than an AirII or other integrated octo), but I do not want anyone to feel pressured to change their gear at this event! This should be about having fun, meeting new people, and deciding if this type of diving is something you'd like to pursue.

If you're interested in trying out a bp/w, let me know. If you're not comfortable trying it out this weekend, I'm sure we can find another time :D

Curious, and wouldn't mind diving more, if this is an active group. Can I come to this DIR event?

I don't have a spare singles wing, but I can bring an (aluminum) backplate if anyone else has a wing to go along with it.

I don't have a spare singles wing, but I can bring an (aluminum) backplate if anyone else has a wing to go along with it.

I have a LCD30 I can bring since I'll be lugging doubles.

rocket surgery

Rocket Surgery?? Your always good for something new!

This event is less than a week away now, I can't even begin to imagine the fun that will ensue! Anybody on the fence about this should show up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom