Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Ouachita
Dive Sites: Crawdad Island, Crystal Chute, Checkerboard Island

Depth Temp Vis
0-35 mid to upper 70's 10-15ft
35-75 50's 20-30ft
75-115 40's 10-20ft
115+ 40's less than 3ft

Spring Lake beautiful and clear...visibility 15 meters plus. Cream of Wheat, Ossified Forest, River Bed, and Catfish Hotel have been cleared of nuisance vegetation recently - I almost didn't recognize some of the areas! Fall diving is beautiful - clear skies with no clouds. Wonder how it is going to feel when I get out of the water this winter? That is what the hot showers are for, I guess.

Temperature - about 70 degrees F
Max. depth - 20 feet
Average depth - 8 feet
Dive buddies cindycycle and livn2dive

CSSP - Saturday, October 9, 2010

Water Temp: 83 degrees at the surface

Visibility: about 5 feet
at 36 feet -- brown-out
at 40 feet -- black-out

Saw 3 fellow swampers while there. :)

Found the silos by braille because it was too dark/murky to read my computer. I'd poke my fingertips in the muck every few feet as a guide to going deeper. Bottom of silos was at 57 feet.

Huge catfish was hanging around the larger boat. He's a treat to see.

San Marcos River - October 11, 2010
Water Temp - 72 degrees
Visability - 30 ft +
Depth - Whopping 13 ft max. Avg - 6 ft.
Time - 1 hr, 20 min.
Started at the park adjacent to Salt Lick. First checked out the concrete room behind the falls under the restuarant. Tons of fish. Headed down stream about 1.5 miles to the waterfalls. This was my first time there. Definitely going back. Much better than the Comal IMO. A longer dive, more aquatic life, and in a few spots, one hell of a ride.

Thursday October 14th
Canyon Lake, South Shore, Holiday Lodge
Sunny/Windy Air Temp: 77 Deg F
Water Temp: Hi 76.6 Low 66.6 Surface Choppy
Dive 1 - Time 13:17 - Max Depth 82' for 34 min
Surface Interval 1:07
Dive 2 - Time 14:59 - Max Depth 82' for 41 min
Visibility: 5' from surface to 70', opened up to 10' past 70'

Spring Lake San Marcos October 21

Vis 60'+
Temp Same
Sprog Flow 210cfs

Did the Cream of Wheat to Catfish run again. The annual die off of the coontail is taking place. A bit later and not as severe as last year. This is the best time of year for a "critter hunt" while you are diving the lake. A lot of hiding places have been eliminated and the hole in the banks and under rocks will have a much higher "occupancy".

The hump between Diversion and Cream of Wheat is clear. There was a lot of vegetation in the springs at Cream of Wheat (normal during a die off). The left transition into Ossified Forrest is the better choice. Ossified Forrest is still looking very good. The best transition from Ossified Forrest into Riverbed is to the left (the right passage is still open but harder to find). A very large amount of algae at the bottom of Riverbed (tends to drop there due to the spring flow from Catfish Hotel).

Lake Travis
October 18, 2010
Oasis bluff was getting better above 50, vis about 5 or 6 ft. From 50 to 85 it got pretty thick and chewy again, but below 85 the water nice and clear. temp in the the clear water was around 70 deg according to my 'puter. Saw some nice size bass around 40 ft and school of 12 to 14 inch shad. Anyone need need an anchor? Over my last two dives there I've found over a dozen, and they are still there.

Starnes Island
Dove from east to west. The vis was better at Oasis bluff. I dove to 95 ft and never could find any truly clear water. Seems vis there was best between 85 and 95 ft. Vis at 40 ft was 5-6 ft. No treasure found. In fact, I even donated (unintentionaly) my led back up light that I found at wreck alley a couple of months ago. Easy come easy go.

Lake Travis Scuba - Sunset Charter 10/21
Starnes Island

We had a really fun time last night. Some shades and a cell phone were found.

Viz is still pretty good, at 15' from 85' and deeper. We went to max depth of 107' and viz was still pretty good. Above 80' the viz is much lower, maybe a few feet.
Temp 107' = 65

Enjoyed a morning dive with buddy Livn2dive. Cleaned coontail out of Cream of Wheat springs and waved at the folks in the glass-bottom boat.

We got our Aquarena Springs Science Diver patches! Hooray!

Duration: 61 minutes
Max depth: 21 feet
Average depth: 7 feet
Water temp - around 70 deg F
Air temp - around 80 deg F

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom