Divers Rescued from Surf / Kelp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oside Jimc

Contributor
Reaction score
This had all the potential to end with a multiple fatality. The lesson learned here for me is know your limits and respect the ocean.

Retiree helps rescue trapped divers in La Jolla - SignOnSanDiego.com

Retiree helps rescue trapped divers in La Jolla
By Craig Gustafson

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 4:22 p.m.

Retired Wall Street trader Jim Ridgway was on his morning walk Sunday along Coast Boulevard in La Jolla when he helped save the life of a stranger.

Hearing a cry for help, the 70-year-old man looked down the rocks toward the beach and saw a scuba diver trapped in a kelp bed about 40 feet offshore. Two other divers were struggling to reach her, but they, too, had become caught in a strong rip current.

Ridgway and three other onlookers, including two tourists, scampered down the rocks and began pulling the divers onto the beach as 5-foot waves crashed down on them. Ridgway got knocked down several times during the rescue and lost his sunglasses.

Lifeguards arrived just as the rescuers pulled the last diver to safety.

Ridgway, who moved to La Jolla when he retired 12 years ago, said he didn’t think he did anything special.

“I would hope other people would do the same thing if somebody was in trouble,” he said. “I think it was amazing that we had these people from out of town helping out.”

The divers — a woman in her 40s and two men in their 50s — didn’t suffer any serious injuries, although the woman was taken to a hospital as a precaution, lifeguards said.

San Diego lifeguard Sgt. Ed Harris said the divers were south of the Children’s Pool beach about 7:30 a.m. when the woman decided to head in. She got entangled in seaweed and couldn’t free herself.

“She was covered in kelp and getting pummeled” by waves, he said. Her two companions couldn’t reach her because of the strong current, and soon they needed rescuing as well.

The city only has a handful of lifeguards on duty at that time and two units were responding to other incidents when the 911 call came in. They arrived at the scene about five minutes later.

As for Ridgway, he said it was the first time he’s stepped foot in the ocean this year.

Divers rescued in La Jolla

Divers rescued in La Jolla
StoryDiscussionDivers rescued in La Jolla
North County Times wire services North County Times - Californian | Posted: Sunday, October 3, 2010 9:58 pm | 1 Comment | Print

Font Size:Default font sizeLarger font size.LA JOLLA ---- Three scuba divers who had trouble getting out of the water at Wipeout Beach, near the Children's Pool, were rescued Sunday by three passersby, one of whom was 70 years old, a San Diego lifeguard said.

A woman diver in her 40s had trouble with difficult 4-foot waves pounding into rocks about7:30 a.m., and when her two male companions in their 50s tried to help her, they all became entangled in kelp, Lt. Andy Lerum said.

The woman was returning to shore because she was already tired, Lerum said. She was taken to a hospital to be evaluated.

He said the incident took place during a time of limited lifeguard protection at La Jolla beaches.

Three people who saw the divers struggling went into the water fully clothed and pulled them out, and all six were coming ashore at the beach just as lifeguards arrived about five minutes after being called, Lerum said.

The lieutenant said the other two rescuers were men in their 40s, and the third was 70.

Sounds like a bad day to be doing Wipeout. I wonder where these divers entered and whether they were lobster-hunters. Kudos to the rescuers.

I participated in the Rocks, Rips, and Reefs program at Hospital Point (pretty close to Wipeout) a couple months ago. The 3 R's is a program put on by the San Diego Lifeguards and local dive clubs to teach divers how to safely enter/exit at various dive sites. Typically, sessions are done in snorkeling gear. On that day, several of the people in our group got their butts kicked. Conditions in this area include: shallow depth, rocky bottoms, strong rips, steep shorebreak, and kelp. Definitely an area to be respected.

I wonder where these divers entered and whether they were lobster-hunters.

I was wondering the same thing, no bug is worth my life.....

Wow. I can't even image the thought process behind anybody doing beach entries with 4-5 ft waves, especially in areas with heavy kelp. They are lucky to be alive...and lucky they didn't take somebody with them, such as these good Samaritans who truly risked their lives to save these boneheads.

There's no cure for stupid, I guess.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but what the hell were they thinking, going in with these kinds of conditions?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but what the hell were they thinking, going in with these kinds of conditions?
@Leejnd: Although situations like this can happen any time of the year, I think it's an interesting coincidence that lobster season started up a few days ago. I say this without any knowledge of whether the dive team in question was bug-hunting. The area in question is outside the La Jolla Underwater Park, which is a no-take zone. Divers often do "recon" dives in this area prior to lobster season to see if there are any keepers hiding out there.

When I first attended a midnight opening of the lobster season in this area of La Jolla, I was shocked by the number of people who clearly lacked the experience to be night diving, let alone diving a spot that features challenging conditions. I had conversations with divers who admitted less than 10 lifetime dives and no night diving experience at all. Dive buddies encouraged them to come out because the diving was "easy, shallow, and fun."

Back
Top Bottom