Good buddy skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a new diver, as some may already be aware. I've only done 3 dives that I would consider true "buddy dives" where I had a buddy I was assigned to and who was, in turn, assigned to me. 1 was my final OW cert dive (my other 3 cert dives the instructor buddied with the other student and I basically tagged along because I was more comfortable in the water than she was) and 2 a couple weekends ago with another SBer. My vacation dives in Hawaii were all group dives and as such I didn't really have a true buddy, though I did semi-buddy with another diver on the first of those three dives.

So, being new, I think I know everything. I know I have a lot of room for improvement obviously, but I find it hard to understand how one can "lose a buddy". That said, every dive I've done was at least 8-10 foot viz so it wasn't entirely difficult to keep track, and I'm not so comfortable yet that I get "lost in the sights" so to speak.

I've seen a lot of comments on here about being a good buddy. I think I know what that means, but I'd like to see some of the more vociferous enforcers of the buddy "rule" give me a break down of how I can be the best buddy I can. IE, I try to stay within 1 body length of my buddy at all times, but is there an occasion where I should be closer or further away (other than just visibility)? Is there some form of communication (I basically scream if I really need my buddy's attention) that is "proven" more effective under water? I use my lights to signal my buddy, but so far that hasn't been very effective, either they weren't looking or I'm not doing something correctly with my signaling technique. Is there an "accepted" signal other than just waving your light at your buddy? Et cetera.

I see the biggest factor of being a buddy is communication before, during, and after a dive, and obviously "plan your dive, dive your plan" but is there something else?

In short, what do you experienced folks mean when you say "be a good buddy"?

PS: I put this in basic because I think it pertains to all divers not just those of us who are new... and no I didn't do a search because I'm feeling lazy and like new discussion as much as reading old ones.

A good buddy team is when both are rescue trained. If they can't help eachother than they are diving solo.

My friend NW Grateful Diver has a good essay on his website about buddy skills.

Here's my take on it: You should never dive as a "group". Diving as a group means everybody is responsible for everybody, which in practice means nobody is responsible for anybody. Diving as a group is what results in the situation with a recent fatality, where the fact that there was a diver missing wasn't even noted until everybody finished the dive and they did a head count. No one was the missing diver's "buddy", so nobody noticed he was gone.

Whenever we get in the water as a "group", I insist on having one or two members of the group that are MY teammates. Inevitably, some portion of the group ends up getting separated, and because we are a subgroup, we don't have to abort the dive to look for anyone. I can keep track of anybody, unless they outswim me, even if they aren't doing their part to keep us together. (Keeping track of TWO other divers making no effort to stay together can be impossible.)

As far as distance goes, I think the maximum is set by how far you want to swim to get gas. Yes, you shouldn't run out of gas, and good planning and diligent diving will prevent that from happening in the vast majority of cases. But there HAVE been clogged dip tubes (which will cut off your gas instantly) and in cold water, there are freeflows (which will empty your tank in about 90 seconds, or less), so there are blameless situations where you might need to share air. You don't want your buddy farther away than you are comfortable swimming without breathing -- and I think if you try it, you'll find that distance isn't really all that far. For me, about 25 feet is absolute max.

A lot of people think it's okay to be farther apart in good viz, but the opposite may be true. In poor visibility, you can signal with lights. In good viz, nothing you do may get your buddy's attention, until he either happens to look up at you, or you reach him.

And regarding light signals -- you may not be doing anything wrong at all with your signals. But many people aren't trained to look for or interpret light signals at all. If you have never done any night diving, you may not even have been introduced to the concept of communication with lights. And even if someone understands light signals, they may not have enough situational awareness to pick them up. I dive a lot in conditions that are PERFECT for lights -- moderately low viz (20 feet) and thus reduced light, where high powered beams are REALLY visible. And even though I go over light signals with people with whom I dive, I've had lots of folks (especially newer divers) not see an "attention" signal, even when it's done right in front of their face. They just don't have the bandwidth.

As far as being a good buddy goes, I'd say it starts with a plan, which includes the parameters that EACH diver is comfortable with (depth, time, distance). A good buddy does a buddy check before getting in the water, and then sticks to the plan unless a deviation is agreed upon by both parties. A good buddy is aware of the limitations of vision underwater, wearing masks, and stays where he can be seen. (My good friend HBDiveGirl says, "Dive to stay found.") A good buddy assesses conditions -- viz, structure, current -- and sets his distance to make separation unlikely. A good buddy is responsible about monitoring his depth and time (deco status) and gas, and being proactive about getting shallower before he's on the edge of difficulties. And a good buddy practices emergency procedures regularly, so that if his aid is needed, he's solid and competent to give it.

Bob's essay is both more articulate and more thorough than my paragraph, but those are the bones of it.

I treat diving a lot like driving when it comes to buddy contact. My focus is on what is in front of me but every few seconds I check to see where my buddy is. If it seems like they're falling behind, I slow my kick. If they're getting ahead of me, I signal them. Hopefully they are doing the same and will realize that they need to slow down.

I have been recently adopting light signals as a means of underwater communication and find it to be the best form of buddy contact. Being a PADI certified diver, I never learned the light signals but fortunately, I dive with a lot of GUE divers and was schooled in the ways of the force. The only drawback is to have a light powerful enough to cut through silt, you're looking at 500+ dollars.

I like to stay as close to my buddy as i can without kicking them. That way, if there is an out of air situation, I just have to pivot and donate my long hose to them. Quick and easy.

Unless you are Siamese twins, for all practical purposes you are diving solo and need to depend only on yourself. In the event that you are in trouble and you have another diver nearby, be it 'buddy' or whatever, who is able and willing to help you, you are very fortunate. Luckily, diving is so safe as a sport and the equipment we use is so durable and effective, that you shouldn't need assistance except on the rarest occasion which would usually entail a lack of air. You are best off to be prepared for this by carrying a redundant air supply if you are really worried about an emergency. Because of this I treat 'all' dives as a solo.

My friend NW Grateful Diver has a good essay on his website about buddy skills.

Here's my take on it: You should never dive as a "group". Diving as a group means everybody is responsible for everybody, which in practice means nobody is responsible for anybody. Diving as a group is what results in the situation with a recent fatality, where the fact that there was a diver missing wasn't even noted until everybody finished the dive and they did a head count. No one was the missing diver's "buddy", so nobody noticed he was gone.

Whenever we get in the water as a "group", I insist on having one or two members of the group that are MY teammates. Inevitably, some portion of the group ends up getting separated, and because we are a subgroup, we don't have to abort the dive to look for anyone. I can keep track of anybody, unless they outswim me, even if they aren't doing their part to keep us together. (Keeping track of TWO other divers making no effort to stay together can be impossible.)

As far as distance goes, I think the maximum is set by how far you want to swim to get gas. Yes, you shouldn't run out of gas, and good planning and diligent diving will prevent that from happening in the vast majority of cases. But there HAVE been clogged dip tubes (which will cut off your gas instantly) and in cold water, there are freeflows (which will empty your tank in about 90 seconds, or less), so there are blameless situations where you might need to share air. You don't want your buddy farther away than you are comfortable swimming without breathing -- and I think if you try it, you'll find that distance isn't really all that far. For me, about 25 feet is absolute max.

A lot of people think it's okay to be farther apart in good viz, but the opposite may be true. In poor visibility, you can signal with lights. In good viz, nothing you do may get your buddy's attention, until he either happens to look up at you, or you reach him.

And regarding light signals -- you may not be doing anything wrong at all with your signals. But many people aren't trained to look for or interpret light signals at all. If you have never done any night diving, you may not even have been introduced to the concept of communication with lights. And even if someone understands light signals, they may not have enough situational awareness to pick them up. I dive a lot in conditions that are PERFECT for lights -- moderately low viz (20 feet) and thus reduced light, where high powered beams are REALLY visible. And even though I go over light signals with people with whom I dive, I've had lots of folks (especially newer divers) not see an "attention" signal, even when it's done right in front of their face. They just don't have the bandwidth.

As far as being a good buddy goes, I'd say it starts with a plan, which includes the parameters that EACH diver is comfortable with (depth, time, distance). A good buddy does a buddy check before getting in the water, and then sticks to the plan unless a deviation is agreed upon by both parties. A good buddy is aware of the limitations of vision underwater, wearing masks, and stays where he can be seen. (My good friend HBDiveGirl says, "Dive to stay found.") A good buddy assesses conditions -- viz, structure, current -- and sets his distance to make separation unlikely. A good buddy is responsible about monitoring his depth and time (deco status) and gas, and being proactive about getting shallower before he's on the edge of difficulties. And a good buddy practices emergency procedures regularly, so that if his aid is needed, he's solid and competent to give it.

Bob's essay is both more articulate and more thorough than my paragraph, but those are the bones of it.
Thanks, TSandM, I knew I had seen the article somewhere, but couldn't find the link to it.

I treat diving a lot like driving when it comes to buddy contact. My focus is on what is in front of me but every few seconds I check to see where my buddy is. If it seems like they're falling behind, I slow my kick. If they're getting ahead of me, I signal them. Hopefully they are doing the same and will realize that they need to slow down.

I like to stay as close to my buddy as i can without kicking them. That way, if there is an out of air situation, I just have to pivot and donate my long hose to them. Quick and easy.

My exact thoughts. Too bad all buddies don't dive this way. Maybe all Canadians are good buddies???

I have been recently adopting light signals as a means of underwater communication and find it to be the best form of buddy contact. Being a PADI certified diver, I never learned the light signals but fortunately, I dive with a lot of GUE divers and was schooled in the ways of the force. The only drawback is to have a light powerful enough to cut through silt, you're looking at 500+ dollars.

Thanks much for this. This is essentially the way I've been trying to dive up to this point. I need to work on pre-dive communication, especially with regard to light signals, I think. My goal is to be close enough that I can see them and they can see me with just an easy turn of the head, or occasionally a "barrel roll" in the water if one or the other is higher in the column for whatever reason.

Unless you are Siamese twins, for all practical purposes you are diving solo and need to depend only on yourself. In the event that you are in trouble and you have another diver nearby, be it 'buddy' or whatever, who is able and willing to help you, you are very fortunate. Luckily, diving is so safe as a sport and the equipment we use is so durable and effective, that you shouldn't need assistance except on the rarest occasion which would usually entail a lack of air. You are best off to be prepared for this by carrying a redundant air supply if you are really worried about an emergency. Because of this I treat 'all' dives as a solo.

While I try to be prepared, (I have definitely dived "solo" in a group a couple of times) I think there are preventative measures that help ensure you don't dive solo unless you want to. I'm trying to learn the best way to not be diving solo when I don't want to be and to not unintentionally cause someone else to be diving solo who isn't expecting it.

I don't believe it's inevitable that I will be separated from a buddy and I'm trying to minimize the mistakes I make that could cause separation. I will always assume I'm on my own and be prepared for the worst, but planning not to be on my own is the best way to prevent it, in my opinion.

The end is nigh.

Learn how to dive be self sufficient or utilize buddies you cross the road with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom