Bad vis. How bad is too bad?

How bad is too bad

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a new diver, and I did my OW dives in a quarry in 8-12 foot viz (depending on which day.) Personally I think it was a good opportunity for me, but I can see how many new divers, especially those not already comfortable in the water, would have some serious panic opportunities in low viz. I found I much prefer diving in the same quarry a couple months later when the viz was closer to 20 feet.

I think being exposed to such situations early was good for me, but I tend to be more comfortable in "unfamiliar" environments where other people with similar experience get stressed a bit more easily than I. I don't think I'd want to teach (or be taught) basic OW in anything less than what I had, though, because there's simply too much going on for a newbie to be truly comfortable. Maybe discomfort isn't bad (I tend to think it can be beneficial) but that's something else entirely.

I voted in the 0-2 feet category though, because I was thinking general diving, which to me could still be fun. I prefer being able to see at least something, but if a fish swims by my face it's a good dive, period. Even if a fish doesn't swim by, I still like it. Even in cold water :(

I did my open water check out earlier this year at haigh, and on one of our dives we had about 6 feet of vis. I think this had made me a better diver than if i'd only experienced excellent vis and warm water.

On saturdays the north side of the quarry can be an especially murky mess. Lots and lots of divers doing check outs, many of whom are dragging on the bottom. We often joke that if you can dive here you can dive anywhere.

I'd be curious to know if the diver who had issues was certified here of if they were certified on vacation earlier that summer in the tropics. I think that would explain a whole lot if it turns out that it was a panic incident as opposed to a medical one.

Stujiro- I also did my 1 of my OW dives at haigh this past year (opening weekend). Vis was not so bad, most likely in the 6-10 range, but I had another problem, I had a fog issue with my goggles, so most of my dive, I could not see. I agree that it has made me more comfortable with a low vis diver. What happen at Haigh this weekend was sad, and it does make me question his training, but then again we do not have all the facts about what happen. Haigh can have very bad vis and its important to only do what your comfortable diving in. I will be curious to see results on what happened to the young man this weekend.

I went 0 -2' but not because I would prefer to dive in that viz. There are some days I just NEED to dive for the relaxation it brings. I have to admit to considering a rather large mud puddle in a moment of desperation! On those days a Braille Dive is better than nothing. I would just inch along looking for interesting macro subjects! It is amazing what you can find if you move slowly and look closely...

If I was doing a dive for a particular reason... viz will not mean I can the dive unless it means the purpose can not be achieved.

In general I prefer better viz but if I waited till I got the conditions I would prefer.. I would miss out on a heap of diving.

I won't comment on the class situation since IMHO I don't have the qualifications to do so.

The only "bad vis" is when approached post dive on the edge of nowhere at an exceptionally calm generally undiveable location and asked, "How's the vis?"

Also when those locations are considered undiveable the buddybump is good cos that's where the crays are at.

Did AOW navigation and search and recovery with some new people in zero to four feet vis sandy bottom without a hitch, but almost drown laughing when the instructor was blown into the water fully clothed.

If your not making money what would be the point of diving in less than 2'-4' vis?

In that vis I'd probably be solo, way too much work to keep track of buddy in those conditions.

Meh don't really care about bad viz. Good viz is better but I won't stop diving if the viz is crap. Every boat dive I've done in last month bar one has been in <4ft but still have a ball. Did a wreck dive recently on a big frigate, was awesomely spooky in the bad viz :)

Was recently reading about increased list and growth and bits falling off, can't wait.
Small vis, spooky. I'll have some surge with that.
Very good.

Depends how many lobsters are down there.

It depends. What am I teaching? Open Water? I want a minimum of 6 feet and in that visibility, I'll go one on one. Advanced? I want a low viz dive as part of the class, there is no minimum, I'll take them in black water. I will go one on one during low viz training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom