Commercial Dive Schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg:

Thanks for exhuming that little ditty I wrote whenever; I've answered queries on many boards concerning commercial diving & I've always thought I should just stow them somewhere & pull them out when needed, and now you've done just that. Thanks again.

Fooks:

Tha financial fate of the oilfield diver generally follows the boom/bust cycles of the oil industry as a whole. When oil prices are low & there is a glut of supply, companies are loath ( & I.M.H.O. - short-sighted ) to spend huge money to explore & produce offshore reserves. Thus the ever proactive deepsea diver is constantly looking for the next global hot spot to ply his trade. Some divers remain in specific regions ( ie: Gulf of Mexico divers ) & ride out the downward turns as best they can.

As far as money goes, "sats. where its at"...saturation diving that is. They pay you well to live for 28 days at a time in chambers...a busy sat. diver can make 150k -200k u.s. a year. It takes many years of hard work & soild reputation building to get to that stage. Quite honestly, for the risks you take & the yet-to-be-determined health ramifications of sat. diving, I think the remuneration is far from adequate. But you know, we do it because we love the job, the adventure, the beer-swilling/skirt chasing/globe hopping/sea-story telling/put your butt on the line thrill of it.

Regards,
D.S.D.

Originally posted by DeepSeaDan
Greg:

Thanks for exhuming that little ditty I wrote whenever; I've answered queries on many boards concerning commercial diving & I've always thought I should just stow them somewhere & pull them out when needed, and now you've done just that. Thanks again.

No problem, just did a search on this board and found it. At first I pulled up to many posts with "commercial" and "diving" in it, then I remembered the part about marriage, so a search with "stable marriage" went right to it.

Hey, BTW, when you going to write more adventure stories, like the one about when you were salvaging Malaysian tin ingots and got boarded by the Chinese? I posted that one in our dive clubs Yahoo group, everybody loved it!

Hi Greg:

I've penned a number of tales on this board & a few more on some others. I enjoy the telling but it is a time consuming endeavour to get it right. Perhaps early in the new year I'll sit down & get to it.

Perhaps writing a book is in order.

Whatever the case, I'll see what I can do & thankyou for your interest.

Happy holidays!

Dan

Good info in the above posts. Here's a little more on a page I made up to answer a lot of the common questions. Has links to current wage rates, too.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/diveinfo.html

I need to do a little updating of that page with regards to the "Health and Safety Executive" aka "HSE"
US schools don't train to the HSE standard, you'll have to go to Canada for that one. In order to get work overseas, most (non-us)companies will want you to have the HSE training.
read more about it here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/spd/noframes/spddiv.htm

The Santa Barbara city college is a good one for scientific diving, if that's something of interest.

Keep in mind the line about some salespeople being downright dishonest. I've talked with people in their 40s getting ready to take out a second morgage on their house so they could go offshore & start raking in the big bucks.

I went to the Ocean Corp about 13 years ago. When I got out of school I was not willing to risk my life for $8 an hour holding a hose. I also took the NDT course at night and was glad I did. I did well in the NDT world, and transitioned to the computer world due the fact that my company did tons of automated ultrasound inspection. I never regret going to Les Joiners school of the fool... I made a lot of friends and wouldn't trade the fun I had in those 6 months for anything...

Kip

Check out Youngs Memorial in Morgan City, LA

http://www.commercialdiveschool.com/diving/default.htm

Well respected course and one of the cheapest going, another adsvantage is that it is right down the road from a couple of the larger Gulf diving contractors and you can usually get shop work while in school.

As mentioned briefly before, the military is also a good site for training. If your son is not interested in making the military a career there are reserve Navy divers that go through the same training.

Back
Top Bottom