Malapascua or Moalboal in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I did look at panagsama and savedra. Reviews say panagsama can be noisy? Im a little confused. And from White Beach its only 15 min to Pescador from what I read. I am looking at staying with the Asia Belgian op. Anyone have any feedback on them? White Beach looks like a stunning location.

So back to the transfer, if you go by bus, what do people do with their gear. Someone stated in the post to buy an extra ticket and use the seat next to you. Great idea but I'm afraid my bag is a bit too big for that; I'm not sure. I'm I taking too much of a risk by putting it below?

I have worked out for the money I save on the diving cost, to go for the private transfer. Its going to be more economical and confortable for a nominal cost. And the thought of going on the resort dive boat rather than public ferry seems better. Its even going to be cheaper by 1/2 for me (about PS1800 return I think) if there is another traveller. So if anyone is planning to head to MP on the 23Jan in the morning from Cebu please let me know.

So back to the transfer, if you go by bus, what do people do with their gear. Someone stated in the post to buy an extra ticket and use the seat next to you. Great idea but I'm afraid my bag is a bit too big for that; I'm not sure. I'm I taking too much of a risk by putting it below?

I have taken the bus quite a quite a few times and never had a problem with the big bag below. I do however pay attention everytime someone gets off and they access the under storage area. I have however usually paid for a car ride to Maya and have only taken the bus back from Maya to Cebu City. As with the airlines I usually carry the expensive fragile things on board such as camera, housing, dive computer, etc.

Hello
I am interested ion Moalboal as well - would you know when the sardines appear?
Thanks
Pychong1

Hello
I am interested in Moalboal as well - would you know when the sardines appear?
Thanks
Pychong1

A couple of quick points concerning this string,
1. the sardines have been there(Pescador) for quite a while and dont appear to be going anywhere. I have seen them at Pescador on everydive I have done at Pescador for the last year and a half.

2. I have taken dozens of Ceres Buses and used the cargo compartment or just loaded the dive gear into the bus(which ever way the conductor tells me to). I have never had a problem with stolen gear and I have taken the bus all over Cebu and Negros.

3. Asian Belgian is one of many resort options, I have never known anyone who stayed there.

When taking the bus, there are very few bathroom stops or longer stops to do so, so plan ahead especially if you don't have anyone traveling with you. My experience with the bus from Maya to Cebu City is 5 to 5.5 hours by the time you get to the SM mall which is the last stop in Cebu City. If you get to Maya early (before 10am) it might take a little less time but coming into Cebu in the late afternoon just about any day you will get into more traffic. Depending on where your hotel is located you could get off the bus early and hail a cab.

Thanks for all the advice, keep them coming. I need some workable transport alternatives that's going to be reasonably affordable for me to get to Malapascua.

Hi Gee,

I regularly fly from Manila to Cebu for work. I go to Bantayan Island via the Hagnaya Port. This port is 30 minutes to 1 hour away from Maya. I always go with the same rent-a-car and driver. The driver, Mang Ben, is a very nice and decent person. Good rates with official receipts as well. He drives a sedan. I can ask him tomorrow his rate and I can give you his number. He can fetch you at the airport like he does with me. Email you tomorrow. good night.:sleeping2:

Regards,
Gi

Back
Top Bottom