Best place to see Mantas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 1,200 odd dives in the Caribbean, I have seen Mantas on a dive.... once. And I am still not 100% sure that they weren't devil rays (we didn't get close).

I think there are better Manta sites on the Central American mainland (probably on the Pacific side), but everyone here says the same thing: go to Hawai'i for Mantas.

There are quite a few still to be seen around North East Tobago, but the known dive operators have pretty much-so scared them away from the regularly dived sites. There is one local guide who can still produce them for you, but he's pretty low-key and kinda' picky about who he takes diving. He'll want to watch you dive for a couple of days before exposing them to you. This fellow is named RedMan and he is in Speyside.

In 2008 we had a couple of them feeding over CCV's Prince Albert Wreck on Roatan's South side for a few days, then they went poof.

Nice video Dave, it's kinda a typical day here, except for the Monk Seal, that's rather infrequent.

Another vote for Kona, saw 11 night I went. As they swooped by the jet wash about bowled you over. Sit by a rock and hang on.

I have had a few dives under my belt, and have seen the occasional Manta in Florida and off Little Cayman.
If you choose Kona I don't think you will be disappointed. I've made a couple of trips to Kona and you are still in the US, you don't need a passport, you don't need to think about the exchange rate, and you can eat the food and drink the water. Last time in Kona we spent over an hour with 21 spinner dolphins within touching distance.
In Kona you can see:

Mantas
Image050.jpg

The reef
File0312.jpg

Whales
Image191copy.jpg

The volcano
Image136.jpg

When we were in Kona last year, saw a few during the day and probably 20+ on the night dive. They come right to your light. After watching them for about 40 minutes we pealed off back to the boat (Aggressor) and three mantas followed. Stayed with the boat in their light all night long. Outstanding experience.

Kona is great. The night dive is easy and a real treat. While no where is gaureented, I think it offers a great chance. Other bonus is no passport needed, English is spoken, flights are easy to get to. I dove with Dive Makai, a great operation and would use them again. Look at VRBO.com for lodging. We got an ocean front condo, first floor unit for $625 for 6 nights! Spinner dolphins in front in the morning, whale sightings in winter/spring. Lots of food choices from cheap to expensive. Kona is awesome, you can't go wrong.

I've got to support the others and say the night manta ray off the Sherridan Hotel at Kona is 1 of the top dives ever in my 30+ years of diving the world (did it Jan this year ... the dive boat had to stop 3 time to avoid running into humpback whales - there were so many )

P.S. Other "Best Ever Dives" (as voted by a number of publications ) is one I did in Beqa Lagoon last week ... Hand feeding 13foot and 16 foot Tiger Sharks after they scared off the 4 or 5, 8Ft to 10ft Bull sharks that were in for there share !!! sounds risky but they assured us they hadn't had one injury in 15 years of doing it- definately one for the "bucket list" before you die !!!! Dave

I vote for Kona also. Saw 12 on our dive and we saw 2 on the dive previous to the night dive, Big Island Divers did a great job!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom