Glover Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tyguypb

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dove or heard stories of how the diving is off of glover reef? From all i have read there isn't much info out by Glover reef. Is it in relatively close proximity to the fabled blue hole. More or less just curious to know if anyone has heard how the diving is around there. Thank you very much for any help. Best regards.
-Tyler S.

Considered the best diving in Belize by many its remote and pristine. It is not located near the Blue Hole please see the map

belize_detailed_map.jpg

Gaz Cooper

I was researching this area for my next dive vacation. I could not find any day trip from Glover reef to the Blue Hole, the elbow, or light house reef. Which was a draw back for me? But not a deal breaker.

Splash Dive Shop does a 6 dive best of Belize overnight trip out of Placencia which includes Southwater Caye or Shark Hole, the elbow, the aquarium at Lighthouse, and the Blue Hole before breakfast which is great because no one is there at that time. Trip requires several divers to be economically viable so must be booked well in advance. Similar arrangement can be made during whale shark season. You can contact patricia@splashbelize.com

Although it's best to dive the Blue Hole around noon, when it's bright all the way to the bottom. In the early morning, especially as we move towards winter, it can be like the Black Hole of Calcutta down there.

Peter, viz was great on my last dive on the Blue Hole at 06:00 am, and the sharks were coming to us as they had not been chased away by all the traffic.

I wasn't talking about the viz but the amount of light getting down there. I've been very deep in the BH at noon and could have read a newspaper down there; I've also been on the standard "recreational" dive and needed a lamp just to read my gauges. To anyone else reading this, both extremes are just that - extremes - and normally there's enough natural light to read gauges. Not a book though. Probably linked to a thermocline that sometimes happens after heavy rain, causing it to be warmer at depth than on the way down - the mixed salt & fresh water blocks out much of the light.

i think peter point is it really is a huge difference between diving early morning when the sun is just rising to midday where the sun is highest in the sky.

I have also done it at Midday although not as deep as Peter and it really is night and day difference between those 2 times

Gaz

First time I did the "recreational dive", the Hole was full of day boats before we hit the water. It was like diving in a snow storm. 2nd time (8:09 a.m.) we were the first to arrive, the vis was great and the light was good.

I can use a light to solve dark so I'll take that any day over 7 dive boats and 50 divers raining crap down on me. If someone isn't comfortable with dim light, their mileage may vary.

I also think it's better to start a 140-150 foot dive without a residual nitrogen load and spend my remaining dives at shallow depths.

I'm a little disappointed that nobody is using this thread to talk about Glovers and what can be seen there. It's a trip I'm thinking of taking and so I'd like to know too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom