Great Diving - No Biting Insects?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I react violently to No-see-ums (sand flees)... You can find them in Key Largo but they are mostly on the Bay Side. I haven't experienced them much in the rest of the Caribe, inculding Bonaire, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Statia, Saba, St Kitts, St Martin, Grand Bahamas as well as others. My worst experience was in SC on the coast (Daufuskie Island).

Thanks everyone! I was pretty sure that everywhere would be about the same...more pesty insects during rainy season. But, I thought if anyone would know of a hidden gem of a low-bug zone, it would be here! When we travel, I tend to do all of the suggestions above...it's those times when you're out later than you thought you'd be...you get nailed! I guess I'll just have to remember to always carry the DEET with me! My husband always comments of my lovely DEET "perfume" when we go out for dinner. It certainly won't stop me from travelling and diving!
And yes, liveaboards rule for many reasons, including being at sea away from them!
My last trip to Provo was February a couple of years ago and I was surprised that I didn't get bothered at all by mosquitos or sand flies. A few years before that we were there on a liveaboard during the summer and spent a few days on Provo first - followed by a week in Grand Turk after. Don't recall any then either...but then again....we were lucky with the weather and no rain!

Mosquitos like different environments than Sand Flies/No-see-ums

It's no surprise that Ronbeau and Victor (above) found no mosquitos on the ABC islands. They are "desert islands" by almost any definition. In Bonaire it is even more apparent, I liken it to a convection oven. Mosquitoes are unlikely, Scorpions? Maybe.

Mosquitos need still, fresh water (ponds, or even old tires) to breed. They do not like even light breezes. They need fresh water moisture and still air.

The best No-See-Ums anywhere in the Caribbean can be found on the Bay Islands. I suggest you steer clear, but truth be known, they are all over the Caribbean basin. They thrive near any wet decaying vegetable matter, loving inter-tidal wash zones (look out beach combers!), moist shaded gear locker rooms... even wolmanized pressure-treated wood (Sun deck loungers beware!). They attack predictably at dawn and then again in the late afternoon, say 4-6 pm or so.

Certain islands where you find heavy populations of one critter or the other, sometimes have "free zones" where nature's elements conspire against them. As bad as the Bay Islands are for sand flies, the South side is comparatively devoid of the critters, and rarely a mosquito. (Understand that "comparative" is a comparative word)

Argue as you will about the best goo to slather on your flesh to repel either pest, but I prefer (along with the US Military and recognized science) a liberal use of DEET. Contrary to urban myth, DEET has never been found to have a deleterious affect upon Corals, but why not shower it off before your dive, anyway?

Percentage of DEET concentrations available to the consumer vary greatly. The point? It all has to do with how much stays on your flesh while you sweat and go through a normal day. If you want to apply it less often, use the high percentage. If you are in and out of the water a lot, might as well go the cheap route and get the lower percentage version. There is really nothing more to it than that. Yes- most spray DEET formulas will melt plastic, so keep it away from your watch crystals and lens dome ports on u/w cameras. Yes, I have witnessed this disaster.

Once you are bitten, there are also another 1,278 remedies for the insane itching. What actually works is a q-tip daub of NASONEX (or the active ingredient mometasone furoate monohydrate in a suspension form, ask your physician for a scrip). It is a very powerful steroid and will make the itching go away instantly and stop for a very long time.

NASONEX (absolutely, no doubt) works instantly on no-see-um bites.

Last edited:
I don't know when the last time Ronbeau and Victor were on Bonaire but I was there last Oct. and the place was mosquito city. Sat at one outside restaurant and if it wasn't for the DEET we would have looked like pin cushions. Really depends on the amount of rain the island has recently gotten. Good tip on the Nasonex but what would you expect from RoatanMan. I taught a Rescue class on Roatan a few years ago and man the No-see-ums were bad.

Mosquitos, no-see-ums and other pests can really foul up a vacation, to the extent I often swear I'll keep close track of when and where I encounter the pests so that I won't repeat the same mistakes.

By and large, if you want a bug-free dive vacation, liveaboards are the way to go. On a liveaboard, mosquitos, flies, etc., are simply not an issue, and it is sooo nice to be able to lay on a lounging chair at night, gazing at the stars, without being eaten alive.

On land, we encountered no-see-ums on Roatan during trips in July, August and December. And tons of nasty big, black mosquitos in Cozumel on trips in November and January.

On Saba and St. Kitts, we encountered virtually no biting insects in September.

Just returned from Curacao (Oct 3-17) - during rainy season and didn't have an issue. Took OFF with us and sprayed in the evenings, there were a few mosquitos but I don't think I have any more than 4 bites and I am very susceptible to mosquitos and no-seeums !

Just back from Bonaire and skeeters galore. Some of the outdoor restaurants placed candles on the floor by the tables. Nuthing like Citronella up your skirts :blinking: but did seem to help. Also had a great squadron of dragonflies at dawn & dusk crusing our balcony - no bugs when they're on Tinkerbell patrol.

Just got back from a week on Saba and a week on Statia. Nothing biting on Saba unless a tree frog attacks. Statia had a no see ums. A little OFF available at the hotel bar was enough to keep them away. No skeeters.

We had no bug problem at all on Cozumel, but we stay close to town. Lttle Cayman in August was not bad; some mosquitos in the evening when the breeze died and what they called "coconut bugs" but no sand flies.

Utila in the Bay islands - the thickest clouds of no-see ums we've seen anywhere. Mosquitos formed attack squadrons 15 - 20 strong circling over each of our heads as we waited for the jumper flight at the airstrip! The beach at Utopia Dive Village was raked daily, but the surrounding area made it futile. The sand flies were murderous.

Here's a destination (or type of destination) to consider: Turneffe Island Resort - Belize It's a very small island; and is waay off the coast so it gets great sea breezes. We were there in August 2009 and did not see a single mosquito or sand fly / no-see-um. They raked all beach areas daily to make sure. My wife is a non-diver and spent a lot of time lounging at the beach and pool - no bites. Maybe we were lucky, but a small island far offshore seems likely to be the least buggy, especially if it has no fresh-water / brackish swampy areas. :D

Back
Top Bottom