Top 5 Best Dive Sites in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes the best 'sites' aren't sites (in other words, unmarked), or it varies with time & conditions. I was back in Bonaire Oct. 2 - 9. The first half of the week was quite rainy & often very overcast. At the south end of Bonaire is a site called the Light House. It was good. But our group dove an unmarked area also on the south end but west of the Light House. It was great; dense, lush reef, plenty of animals (including at least 3 grouper and a green moray eel). We went back twice. The second time we hit it, lighting was worse (probably weather and time of day) so viz. was worse, if memory serves, and there was quite a bit of current (& it changed course during the dive, so we swam into the current both coming and going!!!). Our 3'rd dive there, conditions were better; not as good as the first, but better than the second.

Extreme southern tip sites are subject to currents coming around the island. But the strange weather had made this southern end good for diving for a time.

There was another unmarked southern site, north of Red Beryl (maybe north of Margate Bay, but I'm unsure about that) were I saw 3 lionfish, but my buddy saw 6, plus a baby!

My point is, how 'good' a site is often varies over time.

Richard.

P.S.: When we were there in March 2010, neither my wife, buddy or I saw any lionfish. In Oct. 2010, we saw a number of them, and some of those markers used to reveal their territories for later lionfish removal.

The Rock, Angel City, Windsock, Bari, Rappel. On our last trip we went with Buddy Dive for a three tank boat dive to the far northern spots (Washington-Slagbaai). This was the first time we dove that far north. Awesome. Take a boat to Kline, some really good sites.

I can't believe that no one mentioned the Invisibles!!! It's a beautiful double reef system to the south. Forest on Klein (as a drift dive around to Southwest Corner) is FANTASTIC! Rappel (boat only) is beautiful and different because the dropoff is a lot steeper than on other sites. Margate Bay (to the south) is gorgeous and has great soft coral and Something Special (right in town) is great for critter spotting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom