Bat & Catalina island( Costa Rica) diving end of November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsummers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking of going to Costa Rica for a 2-3 days of diving over Thanksgiving. I was hoping to visit Bat island for the Bull sharks and Catalina Island for the mantas but wasn't sure if end of November was really the appropriate season for this. Would greatly appreciate any advice on this.
Furthermore, I would appreciate recommendations on dive shops that would that us out to these islands during that time of year- there are only 2 of us in our group and I understand that most dive shops have a minimum diver restriction before considering the trip.
Thank you.

We dove that area a couple of years ago, and used Resort Divers, as they were the on-site dive op at what is now the Hilton Papagayo. It wasn't a Hilton when we stayed there, but I think it is the same dive shop and operators.

We were there in May, which I understand was at the end of Manta season. We saw one, huge one
manta2.jpg
, on our first day of diving.

I also understand that part of the year is the best for water conditions to get out to Bat Island
Batisland.jpg
to see the Bull Sharks
Bullr.jpg
, which we were fortunate enough to do. The day we wanted to go, the other divers bailed on us, but we paid a premium and they took just us two, and it was well worth the investment!

You might want to check the weather and local diving conditions before you book, but we are currently planning our next trip (which will also be in late April/early May). It was an absolutely spectacular experience.

Thank you. Any idea what the water temp is in late Dec and early Jan?

We just went to both islands this week and right now it is actually Bat season,but we were lucky on both dives, mantas at the Cats and Bulls at the bats.
November is the transission period and it all depends onthe winds if we can still go to the Bat islands. We do need a min of 4 divers, but usually around thatperiod it should not be a problem.
Hope this answered your question.

Water temp at late december is the coldest of hte year but it is still in the 70's with some thermoclines.

Happy bubbles
Brenda

70's - that's downright balmy to us, out here in SoCal! :D We're diving in 55-58 degree water.

I'll be out in Playas del Coco over New Years, and will be diving with Rich Coast. We've got one trip out to Catalina booked, and three days local dives. I'll be sure to provide a detailed report.

We dove with Deep Blue Diving and stayed at Puerto del Sol as part of a package deal. Visited Playas del Coco in July and had a great time! Will go back again someday. Have traveled all over central and south america and was very pleased with both the dive shop and hotel. Saw Mantas and bats and humpbacks and sharks and octos, and fish, fish, fish galore! Diving was awesome. Be prepared with a fish/critter ID book! The staff at Deep Blue was very interested and helpful. Email Oliver and Franziska at Deep Blue and ask your questions directly to them. They will be honest and frank with you!
Happy adventures!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom