Show me your pics taken with your S90 or S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....the s90 is a very capable camera. For serious shooters, I would recommend getting the FIX housing for it because it allows you to switch between wide and macro while underwater....

I recently bought the S95 with the OEM Canon housing. If and when the FIX is available for the S95 in the USA then I might consider getting it.

However it seems to me that the S95 will go auto macro when the lens is set to its widest. I don't see any difference in minimum focusing whether or not macro is selected. :idk:

I really liked the macro and super macro of the Pentax Optio and this Canon S95 is leaving me a little disappointed in that regard.

But, for low light & fast focus, oh my. I love it! We dive in the dark~n~murky here in the Pacific NW.

basket star
Sares_Head-0030.jpg

Thank you Uncle Pug. The s90 is a very capable camera. For serious shooters, I would recommend getting the FIX housing for it because it allows you to switch between wide and macro while underwater. (I chose the s90 over the G11 for this very reason and I've never looked back) Also, the rear control dial is very useful.

ive just ordered the s95 altho not yet decided on housing but can you explain what you mean in bit more detail, are you saying that other housings dont let you switch bw the wide/macro, if so what do you do [my previous camera was the great f31 but very limted on settings so dont know what some are} also how does the fix housing let you do that

When the S95 is in Auto mode, it automatically goes into Macro when it sees a close subject, but I believe the other modes allow choosing either regular mode or macro.

When the S95 is in Auto mode, it automatically goes into Macro when it sees a close subject, but I believe the other modes allow choosing either regular mode or macro.
I had it on A mode (love that I can set the aperture to f2.0) and it still seemed to auto macro... but that still isn't as close focusing as the Pentax.

I think what boogs meant is the ability to change lenses underwater which can be done with the fix s90 because of the choice of adapters and lenses that work with the fix s90.

I have the INON UCL165AD Macro lenses and the INON UFL165AD and can swap it out easily underwater on the FIX s90 28AD adapter. Other set-ups with different adapters would allow the same but with a little more difficulty with threaded screw mounts.

The G series camera housings are a little more difficult to set up with limited adapters and lenses available for the housings.

It is not necessarily the cameras but the housings available for them that allow that flexibility.

Boogs -- what is your focusing technique for those macro shots?

@mantababe - just as ozziworld said, the adapters available (28AD, 67mm threaded) allow you to change lenses underwater. I use the 67mm mount and use the UCL165-67 and the UWL100-67. I think there is an AD adapter for the canon housing too, but the FIX is much more flexible especially if you already own the lenses. There is a thread on the FIX housing in the Canon Corner, that should help you decide. If you ask me though, the rear control dial alone makes it well worth the price. Practice changing settings without using the control dial and you'll see what I mean.

I believe the reason why the housings available for G series cameras arent as flexible is because of the camera's design itself. Because of its long zoom range, the lens port is also longer. At its widest setting, the tip of the lens is too far back inside the housing's lens port and too far from the end of the port - causing it to vignette severely with WA lenses. This is why most housings with WA options require you to switch between ports (which you cant do underwater). Most WA ports are short and lock the zoom lever to fix it at the widest setting, while the Macro ports are longer and allow full use of the zoom range.

@sky - I zoom halfway in with autofocus, and move back and forth if necessary.

boogs, are you using two UCL165s or one? I have tried using 2x UCL165s but it is such a challenge getting things in focus.

The schooling jacks around the diver - is that at Twin Rocks ?

Would you happen to have taken the shots you posted on the same dive? if so that would be the very reason the FIX works out so well being able to do MACRO and Wide angle on the same dive.

I think what boogs meant is the ability to change lenses underwater which can be done with the fix s90 because of the choice of adapters and lenses that work with the fix s90.

I have the INON UCL165AD Macro lenses and the INON UFL165AD and can swap it out easily underwater on the FIX s90 28AD adapter. Other set-ups with different adapters would allow the same but with a little more difficulty with threaded screw mounts.

sorry if being dense...but...
surely you can change the inon lens of the canon underwater? [realise that inon are still working on the s95 adapter] but thinking of the s90 canon which takes the inon adapter for WA % Macro [sorry cant remember the number of them], or im presuming you can use the camera with the adapter on but just with the camera lens [no other lesn on it]...if im right??

but how does the fix housing stop that happening? as per suggestions of another quote above?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom