New Scuba Dive Op in Washington, DC: What do you want?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leaveonlybubbles

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey Scubaboard-ers,
This is a quick note to get your thoughts and invite you all... Several of us are opening a new scuba operation in Washington, DC... we're going to have a big focus on conservation and the environment--small personalized classes--and have the goal of bringing a lot of new folks in the DC-area into Scuba who may not otherwise be engaged.
We'd love to invite Scuba Board-ers down to the new retail space at 1761 S Street NW for our grand opening Saturday, November 6th!
And meanwhile, I'd love your advice: What do you want in a scuba diving shop that's not already being served in DC? What would be different from the existing outfits? What do you want more of? We're trying to create something that doesn't just divvy up the existing divers differently, but brings new folks in and offers something really different... so here's your chance... advice please?

Blue Planet: Scuba Diving Classes in Washington, DC - Home is our website... though check back in a couple weeks for a much better one.

Thanks!
_Matt

Hey Scubaboard-ers,
This is a quick note to get your thoughts and invite you all... Several of us are opening a new scuba operation in Washington, DC... we're going to have a big focus on conservation and the environment--small personalized classes--and have the goal of bringing a lot of new folks in the DC-area into Scuba who may not otherwise be engaged.
We'd love to invite Scuba Board-ers down to the new retail space at 1761 S Street NW for our grand opening Saturday, November 6th!
And meanwhile, I'd love your advice: What do you want in a scuba diving shop that's not already being served in DC? What would be different from the existing outfits? What do you want more of? We're trying to create something that doesn't just divvy up the existing divers differently, but brings new folks in and offers something really different... so here's your chance... advice please?

Blue Planet: Scuba Diving Classes in Washington, DC - Home is our website... though check back in a couple weeks for a much better one.

Thanks!
_Matt

How about these 3 suggestions:

1) please carry gear that is considered "for tech divers." I have to drive far too far to buy cave line, reels, and spools that arent crap. The nearest is 2hrs (Norhteast scuba or Indian valley). I would gladly come to DC to purchase these items from your store. Perhaps carry lines such as light monkey, oxycheq, HOG, etc.

2) Be DIR friendly. At least one DIR organization (GUE) has the stated goal of environmental research and protections/conservation. Please dont be unaware of DIR/GUE/UTD and please dont turn me away if i mention it. You dont have to advocate it, but being accepting would make me far more inclined to shop at your store.

3) Dont push crappy gear meant only for sucker "recreational" divers. You will ruin your customer base that way and will not be accommodating to divers that are prepared to spend a little more and will continue to dive for a long time.

Thanks
Look forward to stopping by.

Last edited:
Good advice from SFD. Many shops bring in ScubaPro or Aqualung and lie to people. They tell them this is the best gear on the planet. Fact is it's not. Bring in some stuff that regular people can afford and don't gouge them for it. It is very easy to find out that the BC you are selling for 500 can be had at Leisure Pro for 350. Don't sell warm water vacation divers top end cold water regs. Show them a BRUT and tell them it will do just fine for them. And if you get any congress critters in taking lessons- cut their freakin hoses!

Don;t know what kind of classes you plan to teach but turn out divers. Not underwater tourists who need to have their hands held. And really promote local diving. There is lots within 4-5 hours of DC. Those are the divers who will keep you in business.

two words...'cave fills'.

Don;t know what kind of classes you plan to teach but turn out divers. Not underwater tourists who need to have their hands held. And really promote local diving. There is lots within 4-5 hours of DC. Those are the divers who will keep you in business.

Thanks for saying this Jim. I second it emphatically!!

Nice website.

You can forget DIR/Tech, technical divers buy online. I've worked in a dive shop for five years, the most important things to consider:

1) Hours - from your website:

Wednesday-Friday 11am-7pm
Saturday 10am-5pm
Tuesday by appointment (just call)
Closed Sunday & Monday

If you're not open, you can't sell anything.

My shop:

Store Hours
Monday-Saturday 8:00AM - 6:00PM
Sunday 12:00 - 5:00

2) Have all day access to a training pool for lessons.

3) Dive club - hook up with one in the area, or start your own. Bring in guest speakers and show off your Dive-Eco programs.

4) Dive travel - book trips for your customers from within your shop, with local, national, and international destinations, ESPECIALLY IN THE WINTER MONTHS.

5) Service your customers' equipment in-house. Get your shop staff equipment repair certified, cylinder inspector certified and air/gas delivery certified.

Nice website.

You can forget DIR/Tech, technical divers buy online. I've worked in a dive shop for five years, the most important things to consider:

You make some points (mostly the ones I deleted). However, you dont live in the area and while I can appreciate your general suggestions you dont know jack about the area and what it's like to be WITHOUT anything remotely "technically" focussed. "Technical" divers are the ones to have been involved in diving for long periods of time, have significant investments in dive gear (which needs to be serviced), are likely to continue to invest in gear (especially well priced tanks), are likely to hang around and buy gear from a trustworthy shop, and are likely to help bring in and encourage new divers.

For instance, if the dive shop ignores tech I have absolutely ZERO reason to go there. I can buy ****ty gear elsewhere too, except the difference between me and a new diver off the street is that I have a higher likelihood of seeing the value in a brick and mortar dive store and bringing my business there.

You shouldnt open and run a business and FORGET about any part of the market, especially if you are in it for more than just the bottom line, which shouldnt be any dive ops MO.

There seems to be two different approaches to dives shops, those that are looking to make their income through the training of never ending basic open water courses and those that develop and nourish a steady group of advancing divers. The dive shops following the former example will typically sell overpriced and high marked up recreational dive equipment while the second will sell high quality, long lasting gear that will be with the diver through their training and diving years. SFD has described the later.

The easy money during boom times is to form your business around the first example while the second example is one that takes years to grow but will be with you for as long as you are in business.

The second example is also one that is truly sustainable in that they continue with the purchase of high grade gear that will last them for many years. They remain active in the sport and continue to spend their income with your shop through high quality training, charters and continued equipment growth. Their skills evolve to include high standards in trim and buoyancy and ecological understanding and appreciation. This second group is the model for ecological commitment oriented customers as they will be with you during community clean-ups and events.

Unfortunately it appears from your website that you are marketing towards the first group as you show a number of links for basic recreational training but have little to offer in advanced training, high end equipment or charters. Selling "ecological commitment" is the buzzwords of our times but it takes demonstration of values to truly display sustainability.

I hope that you can understand these points as I travel to DC monthly and am always on the prowl to support dive shops that honestly support sustainability in all its forms.

You can forget DIR/Tech, technical divers buy online.

this may be true for some, but i usually buy things from dive shops in north florida. that means i drive 9ish hours to a non-local ds.

i'd rather have a great shop to go to in the dc area where my bf lives (remember, he's also a techie dive guy, & there are others there, too) and where i visit every month or so.

Tech divers may buy stuff online, but is that because they don't want to support a local shop, or because their local shop doesn't carry tech stuff? I know I always try to buy from a shop, and will only buy online if I can't find something at the shop. Maybe it's just me, but I like to actually see what I'm buying, especially when I'm laying out some serious cash.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom