sea&sea ys-27 for Canon G11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiaomad

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Want to buy a second hand strobe sea&sea ys-27 for my G11 with canon housing.
And suggestions?Is it good with G11?What are the main cons compared with the ys-110a,which seems to be a more popular and expensive one?
Thanks a lot!

the 110a has 20% more power, and a bit more beam angle coverage. It also has the ability to fire with an electrical cable and do through the lens flash exposure control, but your Canon housing doesn't have the hot shoe anyway, so no different for you.

I have a pair of ys-27 strobes. I found it pretty easy to get good exposure with the manual settings. I've only used them a few times so far.

IIRC, Gilligan uses a ys27 and a G10.

The 110A also has more manual setting positions (13 increments). I shoot one w/ a G10 but if you rummage back through this forum and you will note plenty of great shots that Gilligan has done w/ his YS-27. Depends on price & your budget more than serious differences in getting good photos. What sort of price difference are you seeing? Oh--and welcome to SB! // ww

Thanks Skynscuba and Warmwater Wank!
I've checked some of Gilligan's photos,he really did a great job with ys-27.
As for the price,the second hand set of ys-27 including the strobe/tray/arm/optical fiber is about a little more than $300,and the whole new set of ys-110a about $600.The problem is that the owner has used the strobe for 2-3 years,and I am not sure about the life span of a strobe and the set.Do you have any ideas on this?Any suggestions?

xiaomad, the YS-27dx is a good manual strobe with decent coverage. Since you arent shooting wide anyway, it will probably be well suited to your needs (macro & fish portraits). Even if you had a hotshoe, you will still have more flexibility in shooting with Manual mode - which does not support TTL.

I got mine used as well, and used it for about 80 dives until I had to replace the compartment o-ring (it got deformed, probably from using too much grease). It flooded once and I simply cleaned the compartment thoroughly, made sure it was completely dry and it was working perfectly again. They are certainly built to last.

Some of my shots with my old G10 and YS-27dx:
4472383572_0a232cff21.jpg

with UCL-165 close-up lens:
4633845573_610f64428e.jpg

with Fantasea BigEye:
4660382706_96767963fc.jpg

I think Boogs encountered one of the few things you are likely to see go bad--the O-ring. (Which at least on a 110-A uses a specific sort of lube that they insist be used) Great thing is no probs if you flood the battery compartment, it's sealed off from the electronics so other than thrashing the batts, no problem. The strobe tube itself is typically good for 1,000s & 1,000s (and 1,000s etc) of flashes. Being 2-3 yrs old shouldn't be a problem unless it were maybe a rental flash that was used daily I suppose. Jeez, $300, ready to go w/ tray, arm & fo? Heck I'd buy it if you don't! // ww

yeah go for it! Also, the replacement I got was the same one used on the YS-01. Same size, and I got the same lube. I sold mine for a YS-110a but only because I can see myself migrating to an SLR setup in the long run. :)

Warmwater Wank :Thanks again!
Boogs.Great shots!
Opportunity knocks but once,the strobe was sold when I was hesitating.Since I am not going to have a dive trip for at least several months,I will think about getting another strobe just before my next trip.Maybe a new Ys-01.

Back
Top Bottom