Did I just goof? Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Darian Dunn,

With the 3 ops you have to choose from on the east end, this should not be necessary, although if you know now whom you want to dive with it can't hurt, especially if you're going over spring break or a major holiday.

I suspect you're to have a very good time.

DocVikingo

Ok... I was only PARTIALLY right... Cayman is 7 miles by... WHATEVER. :wink:

It's still not a long way from one end to the other.

So let's just keep it in perspective: Cayman is only approx 22 miles by about 7 miles... beats the heck out of driving 300 miles to a dive site!

Have fun,

~SubMariner~

Hi Darian Dunn,

Just a thought if you are considering Cayman Dive Lodge - you might want to call them and ask how many people they are expecting as guests while you are going to be on the east end. They have two boats, and usually reserve the second one for "walk-in" dives. They do, however, use two boats when they have a full resort, in order to keep the dive groups smaller and more personal.

Dmentia

Hey, Darian. It's always a good idea to contact whoever you're planning on diving with ahead of time. It saves you the headache of the "unknown"... you don't want to travel all that way to find out that the boats are full? Or they're not running a dive trip when you want to dive?
Yea, SubMariner, it's a small place and I like it! After spending my first 30 years commuting on highway I95 in the Northeast,it's a great relief to actually complain when I have to drive 30 minutes to the NorthSide! Poor me!I'm spoiled!
:)

I was wondering if you booked your trips to Cayman Diving Lodge directly with them or if you used a travel agent. I may be looking to go there this March or April.

Hi Flash,
We have gone directly through the dive lodge each time. My father-in-law has a light plane, and we fly down with him, so the only thing left is to rent a car and make the reservations with CDL. I don't think you'd get a better price on their package thru a travel agent, but it might be easier if you need plane tickets. On the other hand, I always get my own tickets from the internet for other travel I do.

One thing- if you don't plan on needing to get around, then CDL does have airport transfers as part of their package, so you don't have to worry about getting to the lodge. And all the meals are included in the package, so once you're there, you don't have to leave unless you want to.

A good or bad point depending on your perspective - there is really nothing touristy at that end of the island near the lodge. And the lodge folks treat you like a diver not a tourist - which I find great, personally. If you want to do stuff besides dive and relax, you'll want to have a car, or get a bus schedule (the bus goes right by the lodge).

Good luck with your plans!

Thanks dmentia!

CDL sounds perfect to me, meals taken care of, no rental car to bother with, no tourist sights to annoy, just diving and relaxing. I think I've found my spot. Thanks again for your input.

I would recommend Ocean Frontiers. I have been diving with them and also with Tortuga, and Tortuga seriously cut our bottom time. They agreed not to do that before we went out, but we had to get back on the boat with all the other boat divers even though we had computers that said we had plenty of time and we had 2200 pounds of air left. Ocean Frontiers was very good about letting us dive our computers and air. Ocean Frontiers is located only about 5 miles from Morritts Tortuga. You might check out their website. Have a good time, ksnooks

Thanks ksnooks,

I'll definitely check out Ocean Frontiers.

Back
Top Bottom