Confused by all the choices for BCDs... looking at a Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
New diver here and I'm confused at all the choices for a BCD. I dive in Monterey, would like to go traveling with the BCD, and I want to do underwater photography eventually. To me a BCD is just an inflatable air bag that holds your tank and has accessories like weight belt and pockets. I really don't know all the differences between brands.

I'm looking at the Zeagle Express Tech - I love the minimal look and the modularity and the idea that I can float horizontal easily with the wing, but I don't think that the standard bladder will provide enough lift in Monterey where I'm diving with 26lb of weights. Not to mention there are zero pockets. To get a bigger bladder would be $300 extra...

My instructor dove with a Zeagle Ranger and it gets good reviews all around. Should I get this instead?

I haven't looked at other brands because I don't know where to start or what they could offer that Zeagle already doesn't.

If you are going to travel and progress as a diver, look at modular solutions. Check into BP/w options as well.

Monterey has good roster of helpful divers and instructors. Ask around, try things out.

There is also DIR/GUI/UTD curious event there, go check it out it might help with gear.

Zeagle is a respectable company. If you like their BC then buy it. I know plenty of people who use Zeagles. Some are great divers, some could use some help. I seriously doubt that the ones that needed help could have improved by using another manufacturer's BC.

Do you dive with wetsuit or drysuit?

Do you dive with weight belt or with integrated weight?

Do you own your tank? If so what manufacturer & type of your tank? For example: Worthington steel HP100.

These are the questions that you should let us know so that we can help you calculate your dive weight. Once your dive weight is calculated then you can determine whether or not the Zeagle Express Tech's wing is big enough for the job.

The rule of thumb is (and you know what they say about rules of thumbs) that if you were a single-tank cold water diver, chances are you won't need more than 30-lbs lift in your wing.

I have a Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe (the one that also includes the removable shoulder pads, removable back pad, chest strap, and the shoulder strap plastic clips for easy doffing). The harness can easily be swapped out for a pure webbing style if desired for only a few dollars. I also have the zip pockets in the front and the rear for a total weight capacity of 40 lbs. I have also upgraded the wing to the 44 pound Zeagle wing for bigger lift. I upgraded it not because I necessarily needed more lift, but because I'd rather have a little more than needed than less than needed. I have installed 2 chest and 2 hip D-rings as well for attaching accessories. It also has a 1inch removable crotch strap with rings. I purchased it for my trip to Galapagos as a good travel wing that I could disassemble for travel. It definitely served its purpose. It packed up pretty small for the trip (which only allowed one bag less than 50lbs for 2 weeks of traveling/diving!!). I did about 20 dives with it total. If you're interested I may be interested in selling as I now have too many BCs! Message me if interested or with questions.
-Clint

Zeagle is a respectable company. If you like their BC then buy it. I know plenty of people who use Zeagles. Some are great divers, some could use some help. I seriously doubt that the ones that needed help could have improved by using another manufacturer's BC.

Do you dive with wetsuit or drysuit?

Do you dive with weight belt or with integrated weight?

Do you own your tank? If so what manufacturer & type of your tank? For example: Worthington steel HP100.

These are the questions that you should let us know so that we can help you calculate your dive weight. Once your dive weight is calculated then you can determine whether or not the Zeagle Express Tech's wing is big enough for the job.

The rule of thumb is (and you know what they say about rules of thumbs) that if you were a single-tank cold water diver, chances are you won't need more than 30-lbs lift in your wing.

Thanks!

Right now I dive with a 7/5mm wetsuit, which may be upgraded to a 7mm farmer john style, which may be upgraded further to drysuit in a year or so when I have more money.

I will be diving with a weight belt.

I will most likely own a Catalina Aluminum 80 up to 3000. I'd like a higher pressure tank in the future though. Still debating between steel and aluminum. My divemaster friend says the only reason people don't like aluminum tanks and their bouyancy issues at the beginning and end of a dive is because they can't control their bouyancy very well.

In my practice dives I was wearing 7mm farmer john with an Al 80 tank and a 20lb weight belt, 2x3lb integrated weights, and a 2lb clip on to make me slightly negative to compensate for the positive bouyancy of the tank at the end of the dive.

I'm 135lb and Asian. With lungs full of air I float an inch above the water, so only the tip of my head is showing.

I love my Zeagle Stilletto. A great BC and the thing works great for vacation dives with a shirt, AL80 and with my DUI Drysuit and a 120 Steel on it. A very versatile setup. I love the Ripcord system for the weights. The Ranger was a consideration and is a great BC as well. I think my next one will be a BP/W config down the road.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Thanks!

Right now I dive with a 7/5mm wetsuit, which may be upgraded to a 7mm farmer john style, which may be upgraded further to drysuit in a year or so when I have more money.

I will be diving with a weight belt.

I will most likely own a Catalina Aluminum 80 up to 3000. I'd like a higher pressure tank in the future though. Still debating between steel and aluminum. My divemaster friend says the only reason people don't like aluminum tanks and their bouyancy issues at the beginning and end of a dive is because they can't control their bouyancy very well.

In my practice dives I was wearing 7mm farmer john with an Al 80 tank and a 20lb weight belt, 2x3lb integrated weights, and a 2lb clip on to make me slightly negative to compensate for the positive bouyancy of the tank at the end of the dive.

I'm 135lb and Asian. With lungs full of air I float an inch above the water, so only the tip of my head is showing.

If you are diving in Monterey (lots of weight, and eventually a drysuit) you may want to look into the back plate and wing option. There are lots of very friendly, helpful divers that can help you to sort out that delima and get you underway! Also, I'd suspect you'd be much happier with steel tanks, most likely the HP130 will suite you well for diving in places like whalers cove. The extra weight won't be too bad since the water isn't far and the extra gas will be nice when you kick out to the further sites.

Then it will be doubles, a scooter, etc... Monterey has some fantastic diving, maybe the best in the country. You are lucky!

I was in a very similar position earlier this year. We got certified and dive in Monterey but I knew we'd be headed to warmer waters on vacation.

I chose the Dive Rite Transpac and LOVE it. The entire system is modular. I have the 40 lb Voyager wing, but I know some people with 2 or 3 different wings- they are very easy to swap out. I also have weight pouches (they have 2 sizes to choose from) and 1 large pocket with an attached line cutter. They have a few pockets and cutting devices to choose from.

I actually drove from Santa Clara to Sac to try everything on. We went to Dophin Scuba and it was a great trip. I tried it all on, and then they priced matched Scubatoys.

After 30 dives with my Aeris 5 Oceans BCD I can honestly say that it is a wonderful tool. It travels well and holds up to 30lbs of lead in quick release(10 each) and two tank pockets(5 each). I stuffed 34lbs into the pockets while I was diving on Vancouver Island. It has one fold down pocket, and the back inflate has helped me immensely with my buoyancy control(along with the pros on this board).
The BP/W seems to be a great option and will be my next purchase.
Get Wet!

I dove a Zeagle for 15yrs then switched to Aqualung (Seaquest). The Zeagle is hanging in the closet. With a few repairs I could and would dive it today.

You can't go wrong with Zeagle (in my opinion)

One of the reasons I switched was that I wanted the ability to drop half my weights. The separate weight pockets provide this. The Zeagle I own has a zip line that releases all the weights at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom