New 10Bar Housing for E-PL1 - interchangeable Ports!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SB105 should work in manual mode, your only control is going to be on the strobe. I can't say I've tested it, but it does work that way with only nikonos compatible strobes.

Yes, there is a H-W module available, but I would stick with the one that goes in the cord. There isn't really room in the tight-fitting housing for it. But really, after buying that you are at least half way to buying a new Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe with a target light, 10 steps on manual power and optical TTL.

Jack

Thank you Jack. I live in Seattle and will try to come and see you to look at this housing. I wil bring my sb-105 (gotta say, it puts out a lot of light!). We are currently using a Lumix ts-2 with suprisingly good reults. Movies are great. The only problem is you really can't control ISO and it sometimes picks ISO 400 which is noisy. I have a friend who just bought a YS-01 which I can borrow so that leans me to the Oly PT whatever it is housing. Hmm.... tough choise.

Thanks again.

Just give me a call and come by. I also have a store in Tacoma.

The YS-01 works great with all of these.

Jack

John, I have serious vision issues and dive with a bifocal mask. Reading an LCD with my mask on is not impossible but a bit of a challenge as I have to look down though my "gauge reader" lenses. Right now we are diving with a Lumix TS-2 and housing and honesly I just point in the general direction and shoot. Results are not bad (movies are great) but the camera somtimes picks ISO 400 (lowest restricted ISO) which is a bit noisy. The E-pl1 would solve that problem, I think.

Thus, I would like to also try the standard Olypus housing with my VF-2 (it has a diopter adjustment) and my mask on. Do you have both housings in stock?

Thanks again. I will look into the Heiricks Weicamp issue to see of it is worth going in that direction with my sb-105.

Yes, and I have the electronic viewfinder as well. It would be easier to meet at the store in Tacoma sometime this week though as everything is on display there. Otherwise I have to unpack a lot of boxes. It's at Tacoma Scuba, 1602 Center Street - in the Nalley Valley area, pretty easy off the freeway. PM me with a convenient time(s) and we'll make it work. Ideally maybe Tues or Weds, can't on Thursday.

Jack

Last week we've returned from a safari around Sinai, Egypt. Seen some lovely wrecks, and bunch of fellow divers.
Anyway I used my E-Pl1 and 10bar housing, and one YS110 strobe, 60% of pics were made with 9-18mm, @9mm.
First I had some leakage right on the second dive (first dive was a case-only check dive), not a disastrous leakage but still, I thought the main O-rings failed so I changed them to spare ones, next dive leakage again... about 8-10ml of water in the housing after 20 min. of diving. I pointed the dome downwards and continued the dive without pushing the buttons :) I was very disappointed and tried to track down the problem. It seemed that there is a failing small o-ring (possibly improperly installed) at the menu select button, the metal parts started to corrode... after 2 dives, so I disassembled that button, checked both rings then greased 'em and installed them back, cleaned the metal parts... Next check dive without e-pl1, the housing seemed good, I pushed all buttons like crazy @ 38-40m... Rest of the dives were uneventful, no leakage...
The housing is quite good, except this minor flaw...
The dome port with 9-18 @9mm has medium distortion at the picture corners, but I can live with that, no distortion detected with 14-42. Moreover with 9-18 I had to tape the front inscriptions of the lens, as front lighting causes reflection artifacts (especially in silhuette type photos), these can really ruin your wide angle shots. (Or some can use an anti reflection screw in filter, or make one)
I liked the flash button, if i don't wanted to use my external flash I just pushed the lever on the housing and there is no need to turn my external flash off, and use the modelling light as a backup light, in wrecks etc.
Here are some shots of the trip, made exclusevely with E-PL1, 10bar housings and 14-42 kit and 9-18mm micro Zuiko and S&S YS 110 strobe.

North Safari-98.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers

Last edited:
Last week we returned from a safari around Sinai, Egypt. Seen some lovely wrecks, and bunch of fellow divers.
Anyway I used my E-Pl1 and 10bar housing, and one YS110 strobe, 60% of pics were madi with 9-18mm, @9mm. ....Here are some shots of the trip, made exclusevely with E-PL1, 10bar housings and 14-42 kit and 9-18mm micro Zuiko.

Cheers
Fantastic shots! Wonderful use of lighting! Glad you got your leak fixed.

Last week we've returned from a safari around Sinai, Egypt. Seen some lovely wrecks, and bunch of fellow divers.
Anyway I used my E-Pl1 and 10bar housing, and one YS110 strobe, 60% of pics were made with 9-18mm, @9mm.
First I had some leakage right on the second dive (first dive was a case-only check dive), not a disastrous leakage but still, I thought the main O-rings failed so I changed them to spare ones, next dive leakage again... about 8-10ml of water in the housing after 20 min. of diving. I pointed the dome downwards and continued the dive without pushing the buttons :) I was very disappointed and tried to track down the problem. It seemed that there is a failing small o-ring (possibly improperly installed) at the menu select button, the metal parts started to corrode... after 2 dives, so I disassembled that button, checked both rings then greased 'em and installed them back, cleaned the metal parts... Next check dive without e-pl1, the housing seemed good, I pushed all buttons like crazy @ 38-40m... Rest of the dives were uneventful, no leakage...
The housing is quite good, except this minor flaw...
The dome port with 9-18 @9mm has medium distortion at the picture corners, but I can live with that, no distortion detected with 14-42. Moreover with 9-18 I had to tape the front inscriptions of the lens, as front lighting causes reflection artifacts (especially in silhuette type photos), these can really ruin your wide angle shots. (Or some can use an anti reflection screw in filter, or make one)
I liked the flash button, if i don't wanted to use my external flash I just pushed the lever on the housing and there is no need to turn my external flash off, and use the modelling light as a backup light, in wrecks etc.
Here are some shots of the trip, made exclusevely with E-PL1, 10bar housings and 14-42 kit and 9-18mm micro Zuiko and S&S YS 110 strobe.

Cheers

Seconded! Excellent work! Happy to hear about the 10Bar housing as well! Do you have both the dome and flat ports for it or just the dome? Have any more comments on the housing? Likes / dislikes, etc?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom