2 questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triminx145

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Question 1:
I am in the market for a tech computer and hear mixed opinions for the VR3, does anybody dive with the NHeO? It seems very reasonably priced. As a tech diver I don't want to cut corners but I am on a tight budget - don't need any extra bells and whistles.

Question 2:
I have always dived with Suunto computers, as have most of my colleagues but over the past year almost every owner I know (not an exaggeration!) has been told (by the only service centre in the country) that the inner modules need replacing. This costs almost as much as a new computer:depressed: Is suunto suddenly a bit rubbish for reliability? I was looking at the HelO2 but now I'm having 2nd thoughts.:idk:

Thanks

I lusted for a tech computer and the budget was just not there. I opted for software, cut tables, bottom timer w backup timer, and ratio deco. All had for around $400.00 us money.
Eric

If you want a mixed gas computer, the Shearwater and Liquivision X1 are probably the two currently the most popular. I have an X1 and love it the OLED display, which they both share. They are both available with Buhlmann GF and the X1 can run VPM if you want a dual phase model. I would avoid proprietary software such as Suunto's or whatever runs on the VR3.

I have already done about 400 dives using software generated (usually V planner) tables, or buhlmann tables. When I'm only making 1 gas switch I had a Suunto vytec, recently replaced by a vyper 2 and a gekko - used as a back up depth gauge and timer, as well. I like being able to see the deco time remaining and I hope to do more trimix diving in the future so I'd like a computer that can tell me what's going on (in theory). As this level of diving carries more risk, I feel safer with a computer alongside tables.
I ask about the NHeO because I've seen it advertised online with the tmx upgrade included for $699. That's about half the price of a predator.

My vote is for the x1, they do show up used occasionally and I love the screen. Easy for the old eyes
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom