LX5 10bar housing + dome port question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HolgMaster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
all,
I just picked up a LX5 a few weeks ago and just seen that the 10bar housing is available. So far I only used my Fuji F31, inon Z240 with an Inon Wet AD165 dome in the original Fuji OEM housing.

Now since I got the LX5, I might consider an upgrade but my question is, do I require a dome port for the LX5 as it is pretty wide, not as wide as some 8mm fisheye lenses but would a dome make sense? Also what options do I have? I have seen Jack from opticaloceansales was offering a dome set for the LX3. Would that fit the LX5 housing as well? Also I noticed that the housing itself has a Nikonian connector yet I so far only used the fiber-optics cable on my Fuji housing set to Auto on my strobe. Would a cable solution over fiber optic cable bring any advantage ? :idk:

Sorry for so many questions.

Holg

Hi Holg,
I have ordered the 10 bar housing for the Lx5 3 weeks ago and I hope to receive it the next week (I cross my finger).
I saw some threads here on Scubaboard on the lx3 and the solution are two.
1) a wide or fisheye wet lens to put in front of the normal port of the 10 bar housing , but with some vignetting (to avoid vignetting you have to zoom in a little) and with some loose of quality image in the corner of the picture;
2) a dry dome port (wide or fisheye), but in this case you have to choose on land before diving if you want to shot only wide angle pictures or not, like using a reflex.
I see that you have yet an inon Wet AD 165 fisheye lens , you can use it on the 10 bar housing with an adapter that allow to put your AD lens on the 67mm port of the housing.

I have two inon D 2000 and I will continue to use them connected with fiber optic cable in manual mode or one in S-ttl and the other one in Auto .
Even if you connect your inon Z240 with an electrical cable (5 pin nikonos) you will not be able to use the flash in ttl, because you need an internal TTL converter that allow the communication beetwen the lx5 and the Inon z240 in ttl mode.
ciao :)
Scipionems

Housings are finally due in Tues/Weds. Very similar to the old LX3 ones, so all ports and adapters will fit.

Jack

Hi Jack,
I would prefer a wet solution for shooting wide angle pictures with my lx5 + 10 bar housing, but I don't know if it is practicable.
I have seen on the 10 bar site this kind of lens WC-M67-F104.
It seems that on this lens it is possible to mount even a fisheye dome port P-M104-125FD.
Do you think that this wet solution is quite enough good for the image quality and for the problem of vignetting or not ??.
I am afraid that this solution is more expensive than the dry one.
Scipionems

Gang;

I have two housings in stock, I doubt they will last a day or two. I should be getting two more next week. If you are not in the US , I can arrange a drop shipment from10Bar. But these have been backordered.

Scipionems

Yes you can use a wet w/a solution but you are likely to have poorer image quality, not be as wide and/or vignette.

You can use any 67mm w/a wet lens. I have the W-20 Ikelite available. I am looking into a wider wet dome port that will sell for around $400, or we can order one of the 10Bar parts for you as above.

I think that the wide angle port converter and dome are by far the best solution. Then you can do closeup wide angle.

Thanks,
Jack

Thank you very much for your reply Jack.
I have ordered yet the housing here in Italy and it will arrive for the next week.
After your answer, I will wait to buy a wet wide angle lens.
Perhaps I will buy later the wide angle port converter and dome.
Thank you again :)
Scipionems

Hi Scipionems

thanks very much for your reply. Where in Italy did you order your housing if I may ask. I am not sure if I should be buying it in the US as the exchange rate makes it soo much cheaper than in Europe by a mile. I could ask one of my buddys from our NY office to bring it over to London. I am still hunting for some info on wet vs constant dome port from 10bar. I used to be able to zoom quite nicely on my Fuji even with the dome wet lens attached to it.

one strobe would do just fine for the moment i would assume but shooting RAW would make all the difference as white balance can be adjusted later on , no need to worry about it under water with the while slate which I found a pain to do.

Do you think the LX5 without any dome and just the housing would be OK or might it be not wide enough for ny shooting under water?

Holg

Hi Holg,
I have ordered the housing from an italian internet shop ( Digital Media Service, I migliori prodotti per la foto sub ), because here in Italy costums duty and expedition charges are very high (expecially if I buy a product in the USA).
But probably for you in London it is more convenient to order the housing in USA, especially if you have a buddy there :) .

If you have yet an INON Wet lens UFL 165 AD, try it, perhaps it is a good solution.
Probably you have to zoom in a little like with your old Fuji.
I really don't know what kind of wide wet lens to buy, perhaps I'll use it with the standard port for the moment.

With the LX5 you can shot RAw+fine jpeg, this is the best solution for me, because if your shot is good, you can use the jpeg file and you don't need to work with the RAW file later in PS.
If the shot needs any elaboration you can work with the raw file (for wb, exposure etc).

I prefer to adjust the WB manually pointing at the sand (if i can) or at a little portion of one of my fin that I have painted in white (so I avoid to take with me the white slate).
With the lx5 is very easy to set manually the Wb (using the quick menu).

Next week probably the housing will be in my hands, but I will be able to try it underwater only after the 21 of november, because I will start for the Philippines (Sampaguita resort) :) .
Ciao.
Scipionems

Hi Scipionems

you might be right with the wet lens. I actually have both, the 105 and 165 wet lens. So one could stay on my Fuji. Not tried white balance on the LX5. Dont have the time right now bit I will need to learn it. I am off to Egypt on 19th Nov. nothing as fancy as your trip to the Philippines... I am just trying to get ready for my Turks & Caicos trip in April next year.

I will email Jack to see when he gets stock and also if he can source the AD mount adaptor for the 10bar housing.

Dont forget to post some pictures from your LX5.

Holg

I have both the LX5 and the ADF or ADM in stock. Two more LX5's are due in Tues/Weds.

I sell my sets to include a port cap and a spare parts kit beyond what 10Bar includes. These are control tips and orings, etc. The housings come with the two housing orings.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom